Two Japanese Nationals Arrested for Murdering Taxi Driver in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Two Japanese Nationals Arrested for Murdering Taxi Driver in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

June 7, 2019
Widow struggles to feed family following her husband’s murder
Sok Chanroeun is struggling to make ends meet and support her four children following the murder of her husband Hoem Chan, who was allegedly killed by two Japanese nationals in Siem Reap earlier this year. The two accused were charged in March with premeditated murder and Ms Chanroeun is also seeking compensation.
[excerpts]
Slakram commune, Siem Reap province – Sok Chanroeun sits on a wooden bed in front of her house in Boeng Daun Pa village as she talks about how her family has found it difficult to make ends meet since her husband was killed in March.

Ms Chanroeun, widowed at 38-years-old, is now the sole breadwinner for her four children. She says her husband, Hoem Chan, was a 41-year-old taxi driver before he was killed earlier this year.

“Now there isn’t as much money for my family as when my husband was still alive,” Ms Chanroeun says. “He was able to make more but now I have to do it alone, while my children need more than $2.50 each per day.”

She notes that when her husband was alive, he could make more than $25 per day on average from being a taxi driver.

However, the Japanese embassy as well as Japanese humanitarians have provided money to support her family, she notes.

“The Japanese embassy is supporting my family with $240 per month for seven years,” Ms Chanroeun says.

She adds that the Japanese association in Siem Reap city also contacted her and told her that they will help her children learn the Japanese language until they complete all levels and then help them find jobs.

Ms Chanroeun and her late husband borrowed $15,000 from a bank and also borrowed additional money from friends to buy the SUV Highlander Mr Chan used to drive. She says he had it for five months before he was killed.

She says other parties have also provided monetary support, noting that a Akihiro Kato, CEO of Angkor Tiger FC and a Japanese national, provided $4,050 for her husband’s funeral, the Japanese consulate in Siem Reap city provided $700, while other provincial officials also provided money for the funeral.

“I think that it’s so sad and the family is facing difficulties,” Mr Akihiro said. “It was Japanese who caused this pain, so I want to help that family and provide some peace of mind.”

Khiev Sort, Siem Reap city’s Slakram commune chief, says that during the funeral in March, Bun Rany, president of the Cambodian Red Cross, ordered a representative to bring $740, and some food and equipment for the victim’s family...

Ms Chanroeun adds that after her husband was killed, she filed a complaint to the court and demanded compensation from the suspects.
“I ask the court to punish the suspects in accordance with the law and I demand $100,000 from the two suspects because I don’t have my husband to support our family any more,” Ms Chanroeun says.
Full article: https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50612021/w ... ds-murder/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Re: Two Japanese Nationals Arrested for Murdering Taxi Driver in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by Queef »

What the two Japanese dudes did is despicable. They should rot in jail until they die.

Now, taxi lady is out of her mind. First of all, why have 4 kids if you can't feed them? Didn't her and her husband have a plan b? Her and her husband borrowed $15k from the bank and more money from friends and family? How were they planning on paying that back making $25/ day and feeding four kids?

She should be happy the Japanese are helping her out. My government/ people would've not given two shits about her, her dead husband and her kids.

She's asking $100k from the Japs that killed her husband. Weren't those two sought after in Japan for not settling their debts? I get that the pain and the lack of income must be unbearable, but maybe instead of trying to get the best out of this situation, she could work? Maybe.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Yeah....And a plan C too...Stupid couple!
Do the right thing, get a job ...[Admin Edit: Cleaned up a bit and deleted an ensuing flame war.]
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

September 3, 2019
Court sets trial date for Japanese taxi driver killers

Siem Reap Provincial Court on September 9 will try two Japanese nationals over the killing of a taxi driver and stealing of his vehicle in the province.

Yin Srang, court spokesman, yesterday said the murder took place in Siem Reap province’s Pouk district on March 17.

“The provincial court will try the case of two Japanese nationals, who killed a taxi driver,” he said.

In March, the court charged Ishida Reimon and Nakakuri Ryuji, both 24, with premeditated murder for allegedly killing Hoem Chan, 41, while they robbed him of his taxi.

They were arrested by police shortly afterwards when they crashed the vehicle.

Theng Chamroeun, a lawyer for the two accused, yesterday said he received the information that the court will try his clients.

“I will attend to defend my clients on that day because I am not busy with another case,” he said.

Sok Chanroeun, 38, Mr Chan’s wife, yesterday said she was informed about the trial on Sunday.
“My lawyer and I will attend the hearing on September 9 at the provincial court,” she said.

Ms Chanroeun noted that she will maintain her attempt to seek compensation from the two Japanese men.

“I will still demand $100,000 in compensation from them because I don’t have my husband to support our family any more and I want the court to punish them in accordance with the law,” she added.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50639614/c ... -japanese/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UPDATE: The trial of the two Japanese murder suspects, ISHIDA REIMON and NAKA RYUJI, was ajourned following a short hearing before a judge at Siem Reap provincial court today, 9 September 2019.

The two men admitted to stabbing and killing the victim, taxi driver Hoem Chan, on March 17, 2019, but in their defense their lawyer has asked for the murder charge to be reduced to involuntary manslaughter, because they didn't kill him on purpose.

The victim's wife told the court that she wants US$100,000 in compensation, as well as a stiff jail sentence for her husband's killers.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by MarkRobinson »

:dragonchase: , Nahh,not enough ,go for $ 200,000 USD,its got a much better sound to it , , , and , its well known Japanese ( like most Westerners ) are loaded with money ,in fact they are virtual walking A T Ms .
I will be more than happy to negotiate the speedy compensation transfer ,for a minor , % 25 fee ,Net.+ expenses of course. My underlings/minions will be around to facilitate the cash bonus /windfall in 20 minutes.
Regards Mr Mark ( 25% )Robinson.
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UPDATE
Two Japanese men sentenced to 10 years in jail for murder of taxi driver
October 3, 2019
Two Japanese nationals were found guilty today of killing a Cambodian taxi driver and stealing his vehicle in Siem Reap province’s Puok district in March and were sentenced to 10 and 13 years each in prison.

In March, Siem Reap provincial court charged Ishida Reimon and Nakakuki Ryuji, both 24, with premeditated murder over the killing of Hoem Chan, 41, while they robbed him of his taxi.

On March 17, provincial police arrested them shortly after they used a knife to kill Mr Chan in Puok district and drove off in his taxi. Police arrested them after the vehicle crashed shortly afterwards.

Yin Srang, Siem Reap provincial court spokesman, today said that Mr Nakakuki was sentenced to 13 years in prison while Mr Ishida was handed down with 10 years in jail over the killing of Mr Chan.

“The Siem Reap provincial court decided to order both men to pay 100 million riels [about $25,000] to the victim’s wife,” Mr Srang said.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50647646/t ... xi-driver/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic