Khmer language: beginners' questions

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Kay Kay
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Khmer language: beginners' questions

Post by Kay Kay »

kps wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:43 pm Hi,

I hope it is OK to start a topic where I and other beginning learners of Khmer can ask questions. Like:

At the noodle shop, how do you say "dine in/take away"? I invented "nyam tini/yok tng" but how do you really say it? One guy taught me "cheroo tng" for take away, but I don't know what cheroo means.

When I want to know what meat is available, I was taught:
mean mahop sach ei class
"What meat so you have?"

What means class?

Thank you.
Hi,
That's good to know how to ask all of these questions. I wish I could tell you how here, but the problem is with pronunciation since you don't know how to read Khmer. Kindly submit all your questions in English to me so that I can make a video tutorial based on them for you. In that video, I'll say out the Khmer sentences for you. Go to my YouTube channel LIFELONGLEARNING-KHMER so as to learn other important phrases. Again, submit your questions here.
kps
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kps »

Kay Kay wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:54 pm

I hope it is OK to start a topic where I and other beginning learners of Khmer can ask questions. Like:

At the noodle shop, how do you say "dine in/take away"? I invented "nyam tini/yok tng" but how do you really say it? One guy taught me "cheroo tng" for take away, but I don't know what cheroo means.

mean mahop sach ei class
"What meat so you have?"

What means class?

Thank you.
Hi,
That's good to know how to ask all of these questions. I wish I could tell you how here, but the problem is with pronunciation since you don't know how to read Khmer. Kindly submit all your questions in English to me so that I can make a video tutorial based on them for you. In that video, I'll say out the Khmer sentences for you. Go to my YouTube channel LIFELONGLEARNING-KHMER so as to learn other important phrases. Again, submit your questions here.
Absolutely great offer, thanks.
kps
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kps »

Chamboy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 am Doh... Wish i wasnt so old bc it would have been a lot easier in my youth..."

I am 75 and share your frustrations. Even though I have been been living rurally for nigh on 20 years and hence circumstances have obliged me to pick up the local lingo, I remember how easily my other 3 foreign languages came to me. In part because I was literate in them, but also because memory banks didn't get sucked up in black holes nestled in my brain wrinkles. However my highly bilingual wife and teenage kids are a wonderful resource for expanding my mind.

One piece of unsolicited advice, don't worry about making mistakes, it is an invaluable and unavoidable part of language acquisition. Go for it and pretentious purists be damned.
Thanks for encouragement. It is so easy to forget new words of an Asian language. I've seen it happen to younger guys too.

I also try not to hesitate to speak even though pronounciation is hard.
Kay Kay
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kay Kay »

kps wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:35 pm
Kay Kay wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:54 pm

mean mahop sach ei class
"What meat so you have?"

What means class?

Thank you.
Hi,
Absolutely great offer, thanks.
Don't mention it, bro.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic