Rotating Power Cuts Have Started

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Rotating Power Cuts Have Started

Post by DaveG »

Parts of Siem Reap off at the moment, does anyone know what the schedule is for May or do they just make it up as they go along.
If there is a schedule is there an English version.

Cheers.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

As Power Cuts Cripple Cambodia, Generator Sales Soar
24 May 2019
As the hot season scorches Cambodia’s capital, its 1.5 million residents have struggled to stay cool without air conditioning, while business and factory work frequently grinds to a halt as a result of the worst power outages in many years.

For several months now, Phnom Penh has been crippled by cuts that last up to six hours per day in some areas, as authorities struggle to meet high demand driven up a construction boom, while power supply has fallen as a nationwide drought has affected water levels at hydropower installations.

While residents and business owners across the city have complained for weeks, one group of traders has reaped the benefits: generator sellers.

“We sold twice or triple the number” as other years, said Srey Tooch, 39, whose family runs a shop in central Phnom Penh that sells generators. “Since I started this business, I’ve never had a selling experience as this year,” she said.

“We did not plan or know that the business would be at its peak. We did not have generators in stock as the generator business has been very slow in the last 10 to 20 years,” she said, adding that they ran out generators supplies in about two or three weeks.

She said high generators sales had driven up prices and depleted stores across the city and some customers began scouring the internet to order generators online. The shops have been accused by some customers of price gauging, a claim they have denied.

Srey Tooch said, “As a seller, when there is a high demand [and no stock], we would purchase generators from other vendors and sell them with profit of 5 to 10 dollars.”

She said most of her customers bought small generators to power their home appliances. “The kind of generators that households use for 10 lamps and one or two fans that they really need for [their kids],” she said.

Sok Heng, 22, whose family has long had a generator shop on National Road No. 5 in the city, said his customers included all sorts of businesses too.

“They use them to supply power for guesthouses, restaurants, construction, gas stations, and small and big hotels,” he said, adding that during the worst black outs for about two weeks in March he sold up to seven generators per day compared one in other years.
https://www.voacambodia.com/a/as-power- ... 30097.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

From EDC facebook page on tonight's power cuts in Phnom Penh.
3 hrs ·
On May 24, 2019 at 19:29 pm, there is a case of electricity cuts in some areas of Phnom Penh, which is located in: (1) Village, toul kork village, khan tuol keo (2) ) the road of Angkor Phnom Penh, Khan Sen Sok, Phnom Penh.
A team from EdC is doing their best to fix the problem and will notify when there is more information.
UPDATE from EdC from 21:30 24 May 2019:
MORE DETAILS: Power cuts from sub-station 5 (GS5-F17) that cause power cuts in some areas are: (1) Kob Srov Dam, Sangkat Kheak Khan Khan Preak Pnov (2), Sre Chsar Village, Sangkat Samrong Kraom (3), Sangkat Trapeang Krasang (4), Sangkat Kambol, Khan Porsenchey, Phnom Penh. The reason is caused by a thunderstorm phenomenon. Two MV Phase Network (MV) is working to repair the electricity supply to customers as soon as possible before 23:30 PM.
Thank you
Phnom Penh on May 24, 2019
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Pedroviera »

DaveG wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:01 am Parts of Siem Reap off at the moment, does anyone know what the schedule is for May or do they just make it up as they go along.

Cheers.
New outages coming up siem reap posted times on Facebook expat page starting May 28
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Pedroviera wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:40 pm
DaveG wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:01 am Parts of Siem Reap off at the moment, does anyone know what the schedule is for May or do they just make it up as they go along.

Cheers.
New outages coming up siem reap posted times on Facebook expat page starting May 28
Siem Reap: EdC announce power cuts for Siem Reap province next week. Most of the province is likely to be affected at these times. Check the EdC facebook page for updates closer to time.
May 28th 8am-12pm
May 29th 8am-5pm
May 31st 8am-12pm
2nd June 8am-5pm

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I haven't had a power cut for a few weeks besides that one that coincided with a storm on Wednesday. When I was out later there were loads of trees down so it was no huge mystery.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:03 am I haven't had a power cut for a few weeks besides that one that coincided with a storm on Wednesday. When I was out later there were loads of trees down so it was no huge mystery.
Neither have I (street 154 and Norodom).

Do you think we are safe now the rains have started?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Doc67 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:30 am
John Bingham wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:03 am I haven't had a power cut for a few weeks besides that one that coincided with a storm on Wednesday. When I was out later there were loads of trees down so it was no huge mystery.

Don't jinx it you tossers.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Brody wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:10 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:30 am

Don't jinx it you tossers.
I know, I know... :D
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Doc67 wrote:

No water in the Stung Atai system.
47mm so far this May compared to 406mm on May last year.
I think the cuts will continue for some time yet.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic