Cambodia's Crocodile Farms are Struggling

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia's Crocodile Farms are Struggling

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia's crocodile farming industry struggling to remain afloat
Published 6 March 2019

(Phnom Penh Post/ANN) — The crocodile farming industry in Cambodia is facing uncertainty due to a lack of demand and increasing costs of crocodile feed, which has led to some breeders to reduce their operations.

There are many crocodile farms in the Kingdom – especially in Siem Reap province – most of which operate by selling crocodile hatchlings to Vietnamese buyers rather than raising them to adulthood for their leather.

Lim Rithy, a member of the Crocodile Raising Association of Siem Reap, said crocodile breeding in the province is not currently good due to a shortage of orders from Vietnamese dealers.

“Cambodia does not have a domestic market, we mainly rely on the Vietnamese market,” he said. “Vietnam is China’s main supplier of crocodiles, so when they get orders from China, they come to collect them from Cambodia.”

Because Vietnamese and Thai technology is more advanced, crocodile feed there grows faster than in Cambodia, he said.

According to Rithy, Chinese traders had previously expressed their desire to buy crocodile leather directly from the Kingdom, but currently none have done so after discovering that shipping costs are higher than in Vietnam.

“I would like the government to explore potential markets [so that we] can compete with our neighbours,” he said.

Rithy said breeding crocodiles for their leather domestically would be difficult because of a lack of investment, as well as no support from authorities, has diminished breeders’ confidence.

In a span of a mere five years, Rithy has reduced his inventory of crocodiles from 4,000-5,000 to just 200-300 today.
https://elevenmyanmar.com/news/cambodia ... ewsnetwork
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Cambodia's Crocodile Farms are Struggling

Post by Duncan »

This is old news and is repeated every year. It will be news again next year.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Duncan wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:37 pm This is old news and is repeated every year. It will be news again next year.
This. Read pretty much exactly the same thing 10+ years ago.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

hanno wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:04 pm
Duncan wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:37 pm This is old news and is repeated every year. It will be news again next year.
This. Read pretty much exactly the same thing 10+ years ago.
Ha! Came here to say the same! As far as I know the main trade is in hatchlings. Hatchlings have a high mortality rate, and to keep a crocodile to a more mature size takes many years. They don't need to be fed everyday and the food is often condemned meat, discarded fish and water snakes, but for a large farm with a few hundred crocs that's a large ongoing outlay. They fight and end up fucking themselves up so their skins devalue. Then you have all these export regulations to deal with.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
DrRawBlueGreen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DrRawBlueGreen »

Are we living in the stone age that we need to cover our bodies with animal skin? Another dirty and unnecessary business sector.
“If the world was a girl, I’d stick my d..k in the ground. F..k the World.”

“Borders do not make us safe rather they keep us as slaves”
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

DrRawBlueGreen wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:33 am Are we living in the stone age that we need to cover our bodies with animal skin? Another dirty and unnecessary business sector.
Well to be honest I always thought the same too. I don't like the idea of exploiting wildlife for frivolous crap.
However these animals and farms only exist because they have a value.
The crocs get to bask in the sun and munch on free food for years, before they get the chop.
It's not a bad deal all around, lambs get it much worse. A couple of days of sun and then wham.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
DrRawBlueGreen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DrRawBlueGreen »

I find also today's meat consumption unnatural and worrisome. Never has an average human individual consumed as much meat as today. Mass husbandries for cheap meat is one of the most disgusting businesses of our time. When we treat other creatures like this we deserve to be enslaved by an alien species or so. I don’t say we should stop eating meat but everything in moderation and and a little respect to the animals instead of raising them in factory farms.
@ John Bingham

hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

DrRawBlueGreen wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:58 am I find also today's meat consumption unnatural and worrisome. Never has an average human individual consumed as much meat as today. Mass husbandries for cheap meat is one of the most disgusting businesses of our time. When we treat other creatures like this we deserve to be enslaved by an alien species or so. I don’t say we should stop eating meat but everything in moderation and and a little respect to the animals instead of raising them in factory farms.
@ John Bingham
I think the crocodile farms in Cambodia are obscene and of course the leather is low quality the way the animals are packed into tiny cages; but I am not ready to switch to a diet of gluten-free Kale-soymilk shakes just yet.
DrRawBlueGreen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DrRawBlueGreen »

Good for you. My point is to have a balanced diet and not to hurt animals unnecessarily. I couldn't care less even if you eat metal.

Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

DrRawBlueGreen wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:33 am Are we living in the stone age that we need to cover our bodies with animal skin? Another dirty and unnecessary business sector.
In the grand scheme of things we're barely removed from the stone age, there are still those out there living like that today, but I agree there's a difference between necessity and ignorant fashion, killing all those Birds of Paradise for stupid fucking hats for instance.

As far as eating meat and how we treat animals it comes down to the massive over-population we got ourselves into - 7.7 billion people and counting =@
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic