Chinese PBR $44/Bottle

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Chinese PBR $44/Bottle

Post by wackyjacky »

Pardon Me, Would You Have Any Pabst Blue Ribbon?
BY EVAN OSNOS
http://www.newyorker.com/news/evan-osno ... lue-ribbon

Somewhere over the Pacific, Pabst Blue Ribbon began putting on airs.

blurrib.jpg
That reliably blue-collar Milwaukee lager, later adopted by unbearable hipsters on the coasts, has turned up in China. And P.B.R., best known in the U.S. for being the cheapest beer on the grocery-store shelf, has—like so many expatriates before it—taken the move as an opportunity to change its image. For a beer, that appears to involve an elegant glass bottle and a fantastically ridiculous price tag. One bottle: forty-four dollars.

Bravo to Danwei for the story of how P.B.R. has been reborn as “Blue Ribbon 1844” beer in China, advertised in magazines as a “world famous spirit” to be savored from a champagne flute. As a recent advertisement in Window of the South magazine put it:

It’s not just Scotch that’s put into wooden casks. There’s also Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer 1844.
Many world-famous spirits
Are matured in precious wooden casks
Scotch whisky, French brandy, Bordeaux wine…
They all spend long days inside wooden casks.
This is not the first time that P.B.R. has reinvented itself over the years. Since it got its start in the nineteenth century, it has pitched itself in various ways to workers, families, and sports fans—as this good roundup shows. But now, it seems, that a clever Chinese distributor has snatched up the license knowing full well about the Chinese fondness for trophies and ribbons. (See: Olympics, 2008). Alcohol, as I described in a piece on China’s love affair with wine, has become a prime tool for conspicuous consumption. And “Blue Ribbon 1844,” as its Chinese site assures us, has winner written all over it.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Chinese PBR $44/Bottle

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Hahahaha!!! Asians... *whipes a tear of laughter from his right eye*
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

wackyjacky wrote:And “Blue Ribbon 1844,” as its Chinese site assures us, has winner written all over it.
That's not how you spell 'weiner'.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

So there's hope for Foster's Lager after all this time?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Joker Poker wrote:So there's hope for Foster's Lager after all this time?
No.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

They have got to be kidding? That swill is almost as bad as the cr*p they brew on the hill in Snooky. Although PBR was popular for the Dennis Hopper psycho in the Blue Velvet movie. (while writing this I am enjoying a "Cream Ale" of my own brewing and later a Cherry Hard Cider of my own invention.)
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Sailorman wrote:They have got to be kidding? That swill is almost as bad as the cr*p they brew on the hill in Snooky. Although PBR was popular for the Dennis Hopper psycho in the Blue Velvet movie. (while writing this I am enjoying a "Cream Ale" of my own brewing and later a Cherry Hard Cider of my own invention.)
The breakfast of champions ! Just carbo-loading before a big run I assume ?
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Walk don't run. Running shakes up the beer. I just sampled my new batch(s) of "Hint of Cherry Cream Ale" and " Dry Hop Cream Ale." Life just doesn't get any better! Be happy, brew beer. Since the hops I get imported are really old I've just gotten seed to try and grow my own hops.
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Joker Poker wrote:So there's hope for Foster's Lager after all this time?
Fosters - is the Aussie beer than even the Aussies don't drink. Maybe they're not as stupid as I thought.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic