(Another) visa question

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: (Another) visa question

Post by Brody »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:40 am As you don't work then you should be applying for the 6 month EG EOS, which requires no supporting documentation apart from a letter from you explaining why you require this extension, most agents will do this on your behalf for free, you just need to thumbprint it.

The reference letter from an employer is required for 6 and 12 mths EB EOS's.

Go.to.a different agent.
Just a quick aside, @PSD-Kiwi have you come across reports of anyone being able to acquire back to back 6 month EG EOS's?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

KNY is coming up, they're probably just trying their luck...if you don't have any luck then just go to a different agent.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Brody wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:57 am
Just a quick aside, @PSD-Kiwi have you come across reports of anyone being able to acquire back to back 6 month EG EOS's?
Without leaving the country you mean? I have only come across one person who has successfully achieved this. There is no issues though if you leave, return on a new E-type Visa and then apply for a new EG EOS.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:01 pm
Without leaving the country you mean?
Sorry, yeah that's what I was getting at. Thanks :thumb:
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:01 pm
Without leaving the country you mean? I have only come across one person who has successfully achieved this. There is no issues though if you leave, return on a new E-type Visa and then apply for a new EG EOS.
I don't follow the visa stuff as closely as I should, but are you saying that, as of now, any Westerner who is not working can live in Cambodia on perpetual 6 month visa extensions just be flying in on a tourist visa, extending for six months because he's "looking for work," leaving for a day, returning on a tourist visa, applying for a six month extension, repeat as necessary?

Or can you only get two of these extensions and that's it, then no more?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

flying in and getting an Ordinary visa ( $35),not tourist visa and extending with a 6 month EG extension ( looking for work)
7 months ...exit
repeat
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@Cam Nivag , for now yes (as PR said above though, you need to enter on an E-type Visa, not a T-type). How long it will before the DoI start cracking down on this practice is anybody's guess.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:49 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:40 am
Freightdog wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:34 am Is this a cyclic ‘mess with the foreigner’, or ‘its approaching KNY need more tea money’ thing?

I have a new E visa as my previous extension would expire part way through this visit.
I’ve just been to a previously recommended agent, to be told that I now need a reference letter for the 6month multi entry extension.
The reference letter would be from my employer. (I’m not employed here)
They are offering to provide the reference letter for $75. Clearly, the letter would be a fabrication demonstrating false employment; sounds crooked and risky in equal measure.

Before I head over to the DofI, is this the norm? The last extension was straight forward. This one effectively increases the cost by 50%.

Cheers in advance
As you don't work then you should be applying for the 6 month EG EOS, which requires no supporting documentation apart from a letter from you explaining why you require this extension, most agents will do this on your behalf for free, you just need to thumbprint it.

Go.to.a different agent.
This is exactly what I had last time, through the same agent. I explained this to the same person that I dealt with last time, but she said this is ‘new procedure’. Maybe it’s the heat from the lack of cooling due blackouts that’s getting to her. I might try again later as AtoZ have been a popular recommendation up until now.
Could it be because you are now on your second e visa, presumably having failed to find employment on the previous one and its extensions? it could be something to do with trying back to back visas without finding work? At one time, when the system was introduced it was rumnoured you would only be allowed 1 6 month 'looking for work visa" per year, but no idea if it ever got implemented as I am on retirement visa
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

pczz wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:39 pm Could it be because you are now on your second e visa, presumably having failed to find employment on the previous one and its extensions? it could be something to do with trying back to back visas without finding work? At one time, when the system was introduced it was rumnoured you would only be allowed 1 6 month 'looking for work visa" per year, but no idea if it ever got implemented as I am on retirement visa
I see your point, but in this case, I doubt it. The agent started quoting costs before ever looking at my passport, plus I haven't used my UK passport this time as I've been using a lot of empty pages in it, and need to keep a few for upcoming special trips.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Is it still possible to get a 3 month EB extension without a letter of employment?

If not, is it possible to switch from an EB to an EG for one renewal (I will be leaving the country after the 3 month extension so I don't need to extend again)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic