now the other side of the story

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Re: now the other side of the story

Post by offroadscholar »

Queef wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:24 am

The Khmer are good at making you realize that long term planning is often times nothing but an additional source of useless stress.

The Khmer are also very good at texting and driving. I could and would never ride a moped in PP while texting. That's a death wish.
Actually they're quite bad at texting while driving, but no-one gives a shit, thats what I like about them.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

offroadscholar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:47 am
Queef wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:24 am

The Khmer are good at making you realize that long term planning is often times nothing but an additional source of useless stress.

The Khmer are also very good at texting and driving. I could and would never ride a moped in PP while texting. That's a death wish.
Actually they're quite bad at texting while driving, but no-one gives a shit, thats what I like about them.
You think? I've seen some people doing some Evel Knievel stuff on Monivong. My favorite thing remains how they avoid getting pulled over by the cops. Scary to think that they would've ended up with two bullets in the back of their heads for doing that in the US.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:39 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:14 am
andy_morris wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:03 am
phuketrichard wrote:ok; jump on me,
but all the above holds true for Thai's, Laos and Burmese.
so what makes Khmer different?

A few of the basic differences i see ;
the BS & costs you need to go thru to get married and the many clothes you need change into
The way they deal with traffic and police stops ( zero respect)
The number of Generals in the army
Think you missed the point of the thread here, Debbie downer
:please:
pray tell, whats the point?
Khmers are better / different than other SE Asian's?

Their not..... they just have a darker past
BUT Burmese,Thais and laostions have been fucked over as well..
:facepalm:

The OP's question, Richard, "what do you think are the best traits of Khmer people?"

[Nothing there about how Khmers compare with their neighbors]
This. On topic please. Khmer/thai discussion moved here: post381409.html#p381409
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

best traits -
well one of the really good ones anyway.

We all think Khmers have these really strong strictures about going against social orthodoxy. Harsh judgement for "fucking up" or for being a bit different.
That is very true - in a way. But then you find they are actually really accepting/forgiving/understanding of human foibles too, and those who have "transgressed".
I was really surprised, and pleased, when i started to realise this.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic