Killing Bokor Mountain

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Killing Bokor Mountain

Post by kaputt »

The killing of Bokor Mountain

Over the past 6 years i have witnessed deliberately set fires on the slopes of Bokor Mountain facing Kampot. Khmer that i asked why someone would set the mountain on fire right in the middle of the hot dry season said that maybe someone dropped a cigarette etc. Of course they all knew WHY but would never say so.

The fires took their toll and you can now see the EROSION of the slopes of Bokor Mountain as an additional attraction for those spending time on Kampot's Riverside. The fires are not limited to those slope but swing around the road to the Teuk Cheu Water Hydro Dam and even beyond. The fires continue in 2019 when we witnessed some smoke almost on top of the mountain.

I am wondering what the purpose of these fires are: Greed (but to gain what?) , Arson (by some idiot ?) or pure Ignorance or what ? Does anybody know ?
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: Killing Bokor Mountain

Post by davegorman »

Land fill. There’ye just moving it to a nicer home near the sea.

Fires are regenerative for land.
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by kaputt »

@davegoreman Fires are regenerative for land
Not on the slopes of Bokor Mountain as far as i can tell. 6 years of fires let some of the higher parts going downhill.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Take a few pics, it's hard to tell how big these fires are etc.
A month ago I was cycling on that beautiful road and there was dense jungle everywhere.
Only place that was really enjoyable around Kampot.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

King Keil wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:58 pm Take a few pics, it's hard to tell how big these fires are etc.
A month ago I was cycling on that beautiful road and there was dense jungle everywhere.
Most of the good jungle disappeared when Sokha built their resort. I've done a fair bit of bird watching up there and the habitat is but a shadow of its former self.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

hanno wrote:
King Keil wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:58 pm Take a few pics, it's hard to tell how big these fires are etc.
Most of the good jungle disappeared when Sokha built their resort. I've done a fair bit of bird watching up there and the habitat is but a shadow of its former self.
You mean the habitat around the old hill station, or the whole national park? The mountain is 55km across. Surely Sokha didn't cut it all down?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

epidemiks wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:47 pm
hanno wrote:
You mean the habitat around the old hill station, or the whole national park? The mountain is 55km across. Surely Sokha didn't cut it all down?
A lot of the good trees have been removed. When construction started, not only did the new road give easier access to poachers/hunters/loggers; the soldiers that were initially guarding the place were also busy hunting for the pot.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

True, and the construction workers were probably setting plenty of snares too.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:41 pm True, and the construction workers were probably setting plenty of snares too.
Lots of snares. It used to be the stronghold of one of the Cambodian near-endemic birds, Chestnut-headed Partridge; but it has become pretty rare. Apparently makes for good eating.
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by kaputt »

PICTURE's , how to do ?
OK, i'm an old ignorant fart that did not bother to find the fineprint. Perhaps you can help me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic