Thaksins Thai Raksa Chart party down and out

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Thaksins Thai Raksa Chart party down and out

Post by phuketrichard »

bet he is pissed with only 18 days till elections
The Thai Constitutional Court has ordered the dissolution of Thai Raksa Chart Party for naming Prince Ubolratana, a member of the Royal Family, as its prime ministerial candidate. The Court claims this action undermined Thailand’s constitutional monarchy.

The court has also banned all 14 members of the party’s executive board from politics for 10 years in a stunning decision that will profoundly reshape the March 24 election campaign.

The Court has determined that the 14 members will not be allowed to play any part in forming a new party during this period.
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/electio ... 3-33577851
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thaksins Thai Raksa Chart party down and out

Post by sigmoid »

The main Thaksin-linked party "Pheu Thai" is still around. There's some speculation Sudarat will be allowed to become PM as a compromise who is acceptable to various factions and may function as a bridge between them and an Aung Sun Suu Kyi type govt spokesperson.

They seem to be taking an aggressively anti-military stance though, so they may also be put down at some point soon.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Hopefully the Future Forward Party will be the surprise package of the election assuming they also don't get removed in the next 2 weeks if it looks like they are going to beat the pro-junta party.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Anyhow, it's not that kind of election. The actual voting doesn't really matter; it's just part of the fun.

PRO-JUNTA POLITICO SAYS COUP AWAITS OPPOSITION WIN

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... ition-win/
The controversy comes at the time in which anxiety is growing among pro-democracy factions that the election result may not be respected by the ruling junta if it favors the opposition. Army chief Gen. Apirat Kongsompong himself hasn’t ruled out another putsch if he perceives the government to be corrupt.

He also pledged to only support a government loyal to the royal family, a vow seen as a jab at the opposition, who’s routinely accused of plotting to overthrow the monarchy.

The Election Commission has until early May to formally endorse the results. An academic who studies Thailand’s armed forces warned that the junta may seek to invalidate the poll by any offense it can find in the meantime. They might also simply launch a coup as a last option if its defeat becomes clear.

“The junta is not stupid. They may look stupid, but they are not,” lecturer Paul Chambers said Tuesday night at a panel discussion in Bangkok.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

a good read;
When the Thai army seized power in May 2014, it described it as a coup to end all coups.
The army had failed to do the job properly during the previous attempt, in 2006, one of the coup leaders told us in 2014. This time we will fix things so we never have to intervene again, he said.

The official script of the coup makers was that they intervened to end the crippling political turmoil which had shaken Thailand for most of the previous decade.

Less officially though, the junta had two objectives; to secure the first royal succession in 70 years, which, after the death of King Bhumibol Adulyadej in 2016, it did; and to cripple the political movement loyal to ousted former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, which had won every election since 2001.

This movement is viewed as an existential threat to the alliance of palace, military and big business that has dominated Thailand for most of its modern history.

The election taking place this Sunday in Thailand has to be understood within the context of this last objective.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47620749
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Meanwhile at Junta HQ ...

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Well, this is shaping up to be quite a showdown:

Thai princess who stood for PM attends Shinawatra Hong Kong wedding
https://apnews.com/298fedc58e4f443ea3a06755e7f2b811

The usual doom and gloom predictions still apply to Thailand's future. Leave now before the big rush.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

And the move from the other side:

Thai king revokes royal decorations of ousted ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-thail ... 0A_b2pkvcg
Saturday’s royal command to revoke Thaksin’s decorations was for his 2008 corruption conviction and for fleeing the country to escape a two-year prison sentence, the document said.

“King Maha Vajiralongkorn Bodindradebayavarangkun issued a royal command to revoke royal decorations, because Thaksin Shinawatra was sentenced to jail by the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders, in addition to many other accusations, and he fled the kingdom, which is a highly inappropriate behaviour,” it read.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Thaksin just wants to talk

He's worried LOL
In an interview with BBC Thai, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra alleges there were "a lot of irregularities" in Sunday's election in Thailand which have left him worried.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

One of the things that loses Thailand credibility is rich and powerful crime dodgers like him, his sister and the Red Bull heir getting out of the country when on bail to avoid prison sentences, and the authorities doing bugger all to bring them back to face justice.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic