Two Drunks Hit for Compensation After Hitting Okhna's Rolls Royce

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Two Drunks Hit for Compensation After Hitting Okhna's Rolls Royce

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:35 am I agree that morons shouldn't be driving around at 1.30 AM breaking lights and T-boning other vehicles. The bill still seems excessive, maybe someone who knows more about it can chime in. I know a Rolls-Royce door has tons of electronics and walnut veneer etc but do they have to replace the whole thing?
Jerry Atrick is firstly right with insurance! But this is how it is, being that it is not compulsory to have any type of cover, so the driver or rider takes the responsibilities themselves if anything was to happen, such as an accident like we are talking now of. But it could be more serious, being that of someone's life. It also takes an Okhna's power if you like, to bring attention of facts. I would say policing insurance would be more or less an hard task, mostly only being relevant if there was an accident and the law attended.
So the last traffic laws, saw a drop from 18 year olds to the now 17 year olds to ride a moto under 125cc, also critically not needing a driving licence too. How many younger do you see on moto's with no helmet coming the wrong way up the street towards you with no lights in the evening? Firstly their is no training or education involved to gain the rights and wrongs on the roads from the beginning, consequently then laws will be broken because no one teachers or learns them.
So the Okhna brings the attention of his traffic miss-adventure to the public, because he has the power to do so, mostly due to status and money, and it should be a good thing, being that he is bringing road safety and its responsibilities to any road user. I dare say that the mostly law abiding Barang road user could bring attention too! If he was hit by an underaged no helmet or lights on the wrong side of the road. You would more then likely be paying the fine, being that for any reason it's your fault, being the end result that we would find unjust.

So to the damage to the roller "John Bingham". Would you settle for a load of clag (body filler) and a paint over? The compensation if you like, is to put the car back in the state it was before the accident, that may have been in the door being (has new) so no harm in having the same, why would anyone settle for a repair to fill in dents of an accident that you had not caused. Also the other road user who did cause the accident had took responsibility once he got in the drivers seat.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:34 am
John Bingham wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:35 am I agree that morons shouldn't be driving around at 1.30 AM breaking lights and T-boning other vehicles. The bill still seems excessive, maybe someone who knows more about it can chime in. I know a Rolls-Royce door has tons of electronics and walnut veneer etc but do they have to replace the whole thing?

Probably. As an apprentice, I used assess crashed new VW/AUDI vehicles for estimated parts costs. A RR is a whole level above, and if not repaired by the company will lose a whole load of potential future value.
What the customer would settle for in our own countries on the repair work, due to our insurance is pretty negative. I have always said insurance people are legalised criminals. Whatever value the vehicle, is not really a consideration, its making right to your car or moto because it was an accident caused by someone other then yourself.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:07 am

Probably. As an apprentice, I used assess crashed new VW/AUDI vehicles for estimated parts costs. A RR is a whole level above, and if not repaired by the company will lose a whole load of potential future value.
What the customer would settle for in our own countries on the repair work, due to our insurance is pretty negative. I have always said insurance people are legalised criminals. Whatever value the vehicle, is not really a consideration, its making right to your car or moto because it was an accident caused by someone other then yourself.
Different story with an elite class marquee vehicle.

Rowan Atkinson's F1 is a great example.

One of the largest claims in history.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

You have a minor bingle with me, like a million people do every day, and i will destroy your families financial future, take your house and make you endure a lifetime of pain and suffering.
Because i am rich. richer than anybody. Rich and powerful and successful.
Touch my Rolls and you will suffer more than any other minor bad driver in the history of Cambodia.
Because I am me. I am a God.
-and you, you powerless little worm, you put a scratch on my giant flash dick.
Pay! Pay Pay Pay!

From a class of people who have never stopped for a red light in their lives.
Sometimes I can really understand, viscerally, 1975.
Last edited by SternAAlbifrons on Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:30 am
AndyKK wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:07 am

Different story with an elite class marquee vehicle.

Rowan Atkinson's F1 is a great example.

One of the largest claims in history.
Yes! 100% right, just like the similar traits of our thread now, someone with a name, money or importance.
I was hospitalised some years ago by an uninsured women driver, who disappeared like the Olympic running Khmers who cause accidents, never to be found again, although my insurance brokers paid £40.000 to find her by looking for her in Ireland due to her address to the police at the accident in the UK, using most of the alotted cash, I was compensated for injuries and time of work (six weeks) which was no where near the cost, £1000 I was paid no apparently though an emergency fund, also I received £1000 for my new bike that the insures wrote off because it was more money to fix the bike, I managed to negotiate retrieval of my bike and I sold the parts on making a little more. The worst blow was to come in that my insurance was to double in price because I was involved in an accident.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:44 am You have a minor bingle with me, like a million people do every day, and i will destroy your families financial future, take your house and make you endure a lifetime of pain and suffering.
Touch my Rolls and you will suffer more than any other minor bad driver in the history of Cambodia.
-and you, you powerless little worm, you put a scratch on my giant flash dick.
Pay! Pay Pay Pay!

This may not be that far from the truth, but even so the rich man was not in the wrong. The one who caused the accident and damage was, and was prepared to take the gamble of driving when also drunk. I wonder if they work it out on odds, this time being unlucky, and someone quoted already about not being able to pay, but don't forget in the meantime there is earning potential in running into the Barrang.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

I know a guy who works at one of the larger insurers in town. He told a tale (which apparently wasn't a one-off either) of a guy who took out insurance and 12 months later comes back. He wanted to get his money back as he hadn't had an accident/made a claim on it. Took some very s-l-o-w explaining of how insurance works before the guy would leave, he didn't renew. :beer3:
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

My best friend at school went to work as an Insurance claims assessor. he told me about betterment, which is an key principle in UK at least. teh insurer does not have to give you something better than you had. His favourite example was the wing on a ten year old car. they have a book which says how long each part lasts, and wings were rated at 10 years. So if you have an accidentand your windg is dmaaged on a five year odl car they would give you a new wing if you paid 50% (because your wing was half worn out) or they would repair your wing for up to 50% of the cost of a new one. Thats when we atrted getting "insurance approved" repairers who would just slap gunk on to fill the hole and spary over. Also applies to house insurance. i was burgled and they would not pay for a double glazed windows toreplace a wooden one broken forcing entry. they only conceded when the quote for the wooden window came in at twice the cost of a double glazed plastic one!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:59 am [So to the damage to the roller "John Bingham". Would you settle for a load of clag (body filler) and a paint over?
No, that was a joke.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:44 am You have a minor bingle with me, like a million people do every day, and i will destroy your families financial future, take your house and make you endure a lifetime of pain and suffering.
-and you, you dirty dog, you put a scratch on my giant flash dick.
Pay! Pay Pay Pay!

From a class of people who have never stopped for a red light in their lives.
FTFY :mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic