Two Drunks Hit for Compensation After Hitting Okhna's Rolls Royce

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Two Drunks Hit for Compensation After Hitting Okhna's Rolls Royce

Post by Brody »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:42 pm He let two (genuinely) poor pissheads off smashing the other side last year
I appreciate you wanting to be a contrarian apologist for this guy.........

.......but no, he didn't.
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:56 pm I will not forgive them for what they did, because they need to pay for the consequences of their act
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Brody wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:56 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:42 pm He let two (genuinely) poor pissheads off smashing the other side last year

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:56 pm I will not forgive them for what they did, because they need to pay for the consequences of their act
A contrarian apologist? :dm:

I believe he did. But will need to dig it up. I remember my other half banging on about it at the time. But yeah, it's not expressly followed up upon in this thread.

Anyhow, the (actual, not Brody's special interpretation) point of my post still stands; Camry runs red light, hits another vehicle (here a Roller) - Camry must pay.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Good point JA ^^

Except maybe-
The cost, and it's consequences for two families, is right out of proportion to any normal circumstances
- only because the injured party is filthy stinking rich and has no shame about flaunting it - right out of proportion even to any normal high-livin' luxury standards.

And, not quite so valid maybe, he can easily afford it but they probably can't.

That alters the usual application of justice and responsibility principals, i reckon.
Good justice in not iron-clad dogma, it also takes in basic principals of fairness.
??
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:17 pm Good point JA ^^

Except maybe-
The cost, and it's consequences for two families, is right out of proportion to any normal circumstances
- only because the injured party is filthy stinking rich and has no shame about flaunting it - right out of proportion even to any normal high-livin' luxury standards.

And, not quite so valid maybe, he can easily afford it but they probably can't.

That alters the usual application of justice and responsibility principals, i reckon.
Good justice in not iron-clad dogma, it also takes in basic principals of fairness.
??
Yeah, S.A, agreed, to a degree.

But: if you can afford an almost new Camry hybrid you can probably (and probably have) paid Forte or Infinity or any other insurance company for this type of event/eventuality.

A good example of some compassion/empathy would be (if I can find a reference to it), him letting off the moto guys last year or the McLaren owner who similarly left off some guy in a broke old truck after they pranged his machine at the Japanese bridge.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Brody wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:56 pm

An interesting take from the young man. Did chunk ever pay for the consequences of his actions? He has Quite the rap sheet

April 2013

One son of tycoon arrested, one wanted

Second son of tycoon charged for beatdown

Duong Chhay was also charged by court with three charges: causing injury, destroying property and illegal weapons possession.

April 2015

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/ ... ack-82020/

Mr. Udomchorvin, 27, also known as Duong Chhay, grew enraged with Mr. Daluch when the younger man claimed to not know who he was.

Mr. Udomchorvin had been charged with intentional violence and threatening to use a firearm.

Seems like all this karma is coming back on his Rolls, judging by the size of him he's plenty of rolls left :hattip:
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:24 pm A good example of some compassion/empathy would be (if I can find a reference to it), him letting off the moto guys last year or the McLaren owner who similarly left off some guy in a broke old truck after they pranged his machine at the Japanese bridge.
I don't think it was any honest to goodness compassion or empathy (but I'm a cynical prick).

Like the "moto guy" or "broke old truck" guy would have had a fraction of the money needed to polish up a damaged McLaren or Rolls.

Mr. McLaren knew this.

If it's one thing Khmers understand is optics and face.......If Mr. McLaren didn't let the poor guy off he'd have come off looking very badly.

So what to do?

Mr. McLaren knows the guy couldn't even afford the cost of a car wash, let alone repairs.

So he lets him off and receives a ton of 'face' and 'karma' win-win.
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by MarkRobinson »

:dragonchase: (2*) This chubby man- boy reminds me of fame seeking kids I went to school with who would do Anything for attention. Look at me , , look at me
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Brody wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:56 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:24 pm A good example of some compassion/empathy would be (if I can find a reference to it), him letting off the moto guys last year or the McLaren owner who similarly left off some guy in a broke old truck after they pranged his machine at the Japanese bridge.
I don't think it was any honest to goodness compassion or empathy (but I'm a cynical prick).

Like the "moto guy" or "broke old truck" guy would have had a fraction of the money needed to polish up a damaged McLaren or Rolls.

Mr. McLaren knew this.

If it's one thing Khmers understand is optics and face.......If Mr. McLaren didn't let the poor guy off he'd have come off looking very badly.

So what to do?

Mr. McLaren knows the guy couldn't even afford the cost of a car wash, let alone repairs.

So he lets him off and receives a ton of 'face' and 'karma' win-win.
Agreed.

Same outcome, different motives.

Lucky for them.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Did he leave the scens because he was also drunk?
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

The media calling this puff tart a Tycoon and Oknha (okay, daddy paid for that title) really piss me off. Everyone knows he's a cream puff floating in daddy's pocket. all the bad stuff happening to him, yes Karma is a bitch.

What the nanny did is terrible though, if that's true. no kid deserves to be abused.
Still here, in country...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic