Job Hunting Advice

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
Mr Fish
Tourist
Canada

Job Hunting Advice

Post by Mr Fish »

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a job as an English or PE teacher in Phnom Penh. I taught in China for 8 years and I was a volunteer tutor in Canada for 5 years. I've been applying to schools by sending a cover letter and CV to their respective HR departments. I'm wondering if that is indeed the best way to do it, because I haven't been receiving any replies. Granted I haven't been hunting long, but I'm not sure how long it's supposed to take. I'm very new to Cambodia. Perhaps I've been spoiled by China; due to China's large population, there is a high and constant demand for English teachers.

This forum section doesn't seem overly active so I hope someone out there can offer some decent advice.

Thanks in advance.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Job Hunting Advice

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I'm not a teacher, but from all the ones I know, and what I regularly see posted on FB groups and forums, the only way to find a job with a school here is to beat the pavement. You need to go in person to the schools with a physical copy of your CV, most schools (or any Cambodians for that matter) do not reply to emails. Hope that helps, I'm sure this a few teachers on this forum who will chime in and offer you their advice. Good luck.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I came back from China last week, and beside doing some business I talked to the Chinese about education and English classes.

I have little experience in China, quite a lot in Cambodia, and I would say: run back. A few years of teaching in Cambodia will just offer you some experiences, but hardly any serious money.
RogueAnt
Expatriate
French Polynesia

Post by RogueAnt »

Are you sure you want to have Cambodia on your CV as a teacher?
Mr Fish
Tourist
Canada

Post by Mr Fish »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:55 pm I'm not a teacher, but from all the ones I know, and what I regularly see posted on FB groups and forums, the only way to find a job with a school here is to beat the pavement. You need to go in person to the schools with a physical copy of your CV, most schools (or any Cambodians for that matter) do not reply to emails. Hope that helps, I'm sure this a few teachers on this forum who will chime in and offer you their advice. Good luck.
Thank you. I'll pound some pavement then.
Mr Fish
Tourist
Canada

Post by Mr Fish »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:40 pm I came back from China last week, and beside doing some business I talked to the Chinese about education and English classes.

I have little experience in China, quite a lot in Cambodia, and I would say: run back. A few years of teaching in Cambodia will just offer you some experiences, but hardly any serious money.
You know, I always tell me wife that if I came to Cambodia straight from Canada, I probably would have a lot of criticisms. But after 8 years in Beijing, I am more than happy here in Cambodia. Even if I was making 1000 USD per month (vs my 3200 in Beijing) I would be happy. I could fill a book with my awful experiences in China. There's more to life than money.
Mr Fish
Tourist
Canada

Post by Mr Fish »

RogueAnt wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:45 pm Are you sure you want to have Cambodia on your CV as a teacher?
Being able to navigate a society rife with corruption, and companies with poor management (I assume) is actually an asset on an a resume if presented properly. I'm saying this as a 7 year company owner (now sold for a profit) and former hiring manager.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Mr Fish wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:11 am
Kammekor wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:40 pm I came back from China last week, and beside doing some business I talked to the Chinese about education and English classes.

You know, I always tell me wife that if I came to Cambodia straight from Canada, I probably would have a lot of criticisms. But after 8 years in Beijing, I am more than happy here in Cambodia. Even if I was making 1000 USD per month (vs my 3200 in Beijing) I would be happy. I could fill a book with my awful experiences in China. There's more to life than money.
Yes, I know there's more then just money, but education in Cambodia ain't heaven too, you know. Some pretty bad stuff out here too.

Happy jobhunting, I hope you will land a decent job that will suit your needs.
Mr Fish
Tourist
Canada

Post by Mr Fish »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:27 am
Mr Fish wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:11 am

Yes, I know there's more then just money, but education in Cambodia ain't heaven too, you know. Some pretty bad stuff out here too.

Happy jobhunting, I hope you will land a decent job that will suit your needs.
I understand, thank you.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Mr Fish wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:00 pm I'm currently looking for a job as an English or PE teacher in Phnom Penh.
Sweet, you're in there....because according to Username Taken...you'll find a job no problem as a PE teacher making like 5 grand a month or something preposterous like that.
Username Taken wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:35 pm PE Teacher = $3000/mo ( + paid holidays, etc.)
Yeah, better believe that the etc includes visa extensions, housing allowance, airfare home for holidays, on campus meal allowance, Khmer lessons, Wednesday yoga classes, staff trips to the seaside, visits to Username Taken's home for the feeble minded.....etc, etc ETC!!!!

You've stumbled on to the veritable pot-o-gold at the end of the rainbow....A PE teacher's license. ;-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic