Job Hunting Advice

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Job Hunting Advice

Post by Username Taken »

Mmm, just because you're stuck in a dead-end tefler job doesn't mean everyone else is. There are other positions out there for the right people.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Brody wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:45 am
Mr Fish wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:00 pm I'm currently looking for a job as an English or PE teacher in Phnom Penh.
Sweet, you're in there....because according to Username Taken...you'll find a job no problem as a PE teacher making like 5 grand a month or something preposterous like that.
Username Taken wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:35 pm PE Teacher = $3000/mo ( + paid holidays, etc.)
Yeah, better believe that the etc includes visa extensions, housing allowance, airfare home for holidays, on campus meal allowance, Khmer lessons, Wednesday yoga classes, staff trips to the seaside, visits to Username Taken's home for the feeble minded.....etc, etc ETC!!!!

You've stumbled on to the veritable pot-o-gold at the end of the rainbow....A PE teacher's license. ;-)
If he was hired by one of the true international schools ( not language schools) he could be making $3,000/month ++
Same goes for Myanmar,Thailand as well
Better to be hired OUT of country thou
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:15 pm Mmm, just because you're stuck in a dead-end tefler job doesn't mean everyone else is. There are other positions out there for the right people.
I'm not a dead end tefler....so don't call me one, Username Taken.

You may think you do, but you know absolutely nothing about me.

If you have a problem with the post I made about PE teaching positions then take that up...

Don't attempt to attack me personally. Jesus, you're a mod?
Mr Fish
Tourist
Canada

Post by Mr Fish »

Richard, I could live quite comfortably on $1000 a month to be honest. I will definitely be looking for more than that because of my experience and education, but my lifestyle is pretty low cost. I cook at home, I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. In all honesty, one of my main reasons for moving to Cambodia is that I am working towards my MSc in Health Studies. I'm studying online with a fully accredited Canadian university. In China my education was stagnating. A bleak and depressive city, mixed with incessant government crackdowns on foreigners, and topped with growing xenophobia and closed mindedness, made trying to study there a terrible brain drain. In Cambodia I feel far more energetic, motivated, and worry-free, so I feel like I can really concentrate on my work.

I've had a few people, on different platforms, try to dissuade me from moving to Cambodia, but honestly it's all about contrast. For me, Phnom Penh is like heaven compared to Beijing. Whereas if I came here from Canada, I may have a differing opinion. Beijing trained me to be appreciative of little things that were often lacking in Beijing. So I think if one lives and works as a foreign teacher, and spends the money they earn (be it a little or a lot) on clubs, bar girls, drugs, and eating out every day, then they are probably a dead end tefler as Brody said. However if that money is reinvested into self development, then that's a whole different story.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic