72 People Get Food Poisoning at Funeral Ceremony

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

72 People Get Food Poisoning at Funeral Ceremony

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Prey Veng, Cambodia News: On March 04, 2019, 72 villagers, including 42 women, suffered food poisoning at the seven day funeral ceremony for Pan Yan, in Thkol village, Preah Sdach district, Prey Veng.

People at the ceremony fell ill after eating Khmer noodles. The victims were sent to the hospital immediately. On March 05, the victims were still being treated at the hospital.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Re: 72 People Get Food Poisoning at Funeral Ceremony

Post by Queef »

It makes you wonder... What's the most lethal thing in Cambodia? That god awful food? Road dividers? Rice wine? [Admin edit: take care who you insult]
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I don't go anywhere near street food, ever. 14 months here and no food poisoning of any sort. There aren't many restaurants I trust either...
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

Hmmmm.... I've never had any issue with the food but i would bet some kind of chemical was involved or laced concoction. I hope they discover the issue and let the public know.
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Old8404 »

Probably poisoned by a neighbor tired of listening to the God-awful loud music
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Jcml19 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:32 am Hmmmm.... I've never had any issue with the food but i would bet some kind of chemical was involved or laced concoction. I hope they discover the issue and let the public know.
Or simply the lack of hygiene. I never touch the food at my gf's family gatherings. They have no understanding of cleanliness and general kitchen practices
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I've only had food poisoning twice in a decade here.

Shits or mild stomach cramps don't count, in my tally.

I mean real, both ends, non stop, almost wishing I was dead for 24/48 hours food poisoning.

Once was when I bought a bread snack from a pork vendor who handles meat all day. She handed it to me with her bloody hands. That was two days.

The other was Chaplins in Kampot. Filthy Turkish kitchen, they don't wash hands, put cooked food where uncooked food was, and have suspect storage of meat also. Two days.

Otherwise, I have eaten in all kinds of shitholes in many provinces, and not had a bother.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Doc67 wrote:I don't go anywhere near street food, ever. 14 months here and no food poisoning of any sort. There aren't many restaurants I trust either...
Why even bother living here?
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

Many Khmers are suspicious of eating out at restaurants and often complain about the Khmer noodles too.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Most of these mass food poisonings occur at funerals or large gatherings in countryside villages, and the food is probably prepared the day before for the next morning, and then it sits around at room temperature, often +30C degrees. Either that, or there is a problem with hygiene or pesticides. Shit happens.
If you drink plenty of rice wine at these events it will kill the bugs. Or you, lol. :mrgreen:

That said, no I've never been poisoned at a funeral, so far. 8)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic