Riverside begger

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Riverside begger

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:04 pm It’s they have no family and no friends left as they have ripped them all off so, last resort, beg.
Really? I was a drug addict in Phnom Penh in the late nineties who needed help (which I'm eternally grateful to have received) from my family. This aid was made available to me because I always treated my family with respect and never brought the wolf to the door. I also knew of other addicts who had the support of family members until they sorted their shit out.

Making the generalisation you have above exposes your complete ignorance. Some people in the world don't actually have people or family they can call on, or refuse to ask family for help as they harbour great shame for the situation they find themselves in. May none of your family or friends find themselves in need of your help one day.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:18 pm
King Keil wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:48 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:40 am
AndyKK wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:53 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:06 pm I should add that to end up begging in a country like Cambodia when you are from a rich country is bottom of the barrel. On that I agree.
That is very easy to say when you have everything in your favour, like another members quote, plus thoughts of many - Most people who end up begging and living on the streets do so because they have mental health, alcohol, or drug issues (or any combination of them)
My point is more ending up homeless in a country like Cambodia when you come from a rich country (and were I assume reasonably wealthy or certainly wealthy enough to travel to se asia) and then begging money of the locals. It seems pathetic to me and really the solution is simple: go home and if you want to return, get your shit together and return but initially GO HOME. ASAP.

And it says a lot about a person if by the age of 50 (which seems to be the average age of the western homeless people in se asia) you don't have enough money to buy a one way plane ticket and furthermore you also don't have a single person in your life, not one, that would lend you the money to get a flight home whether that be from an old school buddy, your ex wife, an ex work mate, a sibling or your elderly mother. Not one person will spot you $800. It suggests many bridges have been burnt and you have been behaving like an asshole for a very long time.
You also have to consider that some people are too proud to ask friends and family in their home countries and rather risk sleeping on the street. But in general your right.
No such thing as to proud to ask a true friend
what amazes me is at the age many of them are, they have no friends /family to ask
Sounds a little judgemental to me. Some people move to places like Cambodia to get away from bad friends / family situations. Reaching a certain age and not having friends who can bail you out shouldn't be a way of judging someone's character. Some people are natural loners and some people go that way due to bad experiences and feel that life is better with just a small circle of one or two trusted friends rather than a large circle of 'friends' who, due to previous bad experiences, they may not trust. There are many reasons why someone might not have family or a large group of friends to fall back on.

There's nothing wrong with that. Each to their own. Of course, it does become a problem when you find yourself falling on hard times and the one or two close friends you have aren't in a position to offer you much help. But then, do some people surround themselves with large groups of friends only to act as an insurance policy against falling on hard times?

Everyone is free to live the life they choose and feel more comfortable with. It's not for others to judge.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Some people move to places like Cambodia to get away from bad friends / family situations. Reaching a certain age and not having friends who can bail you out shouldn't be a way of judging someone's character. Some people are natural loners and some people go that way due to bad experiences and feel that life is better with just a small circle of one or two trusted friends rather than a large circle of 'friends' who, due to previous bad experiences, they may not trust. There are many reasons why someone might not have family or a large group of friends to fall back on.
This.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

And some have disabilities that make reaching out and/or making wise decisions difficult.
Walk a mile
I'm not a religious guy but "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
up to you...
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:18 pm
King Keil wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:48 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:40 am
AndyKK wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:53 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:06 pm I should add that to end up begging in a country like Cambodia when you are from a rich country is bottom of the barrel. On that I agree.
That is very easy to say when you have everything in your favour, like another members quote, plus thoughts of many - Most people who end up begging and living on the streets do so because they have mental health, alcohol, or drug issues (or any combination of them)
My point is more ending up homeless in a country like Cambodia when you come from a rich country (and were I assume reasonably wealthy or certainly wealthy enough to travel to se asia) and then begging money of the locals. It seems pathetic to me and really the solution is simple: go home and if you want to return, get your shit together and return but initially GO HOME. ASAP.

And it says a lot about a person if by the age of 50 (which seems to be the average age of the western homeless people in se asia) you don't have enough money to buy a one way plane ticket and furthermore you also don't have a single person in your life, not one, that would lend you the money to get a flight home whether that be from an old school buddy, your ex wife, an ex work mate, a sibling or your elderly mother. Not one person will spot you $800. It suggests many bridges have been burnt and you have been behaving like an asshole for a very long time.
You also have to consider that some people are too proud to ask friends and family in their home countries and rather risk sleeping on the street. But in general your right.
No such thing as to proud to ask a true friend
what amazes me is at the age many of them are, they have no friends /family to ask
They are not as wonderful people as you are
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:57 pm
Some people move to places like Cambodia to get away from bad friends / family situations. Reaching a certain age and not having friends who can bail you out shouldn't be a way of judging someone's character. Some people are natural loners and some people go that way due to bad experiences and feel that life is better with just a small circle of one or two trusted friends rather than a large circle of 'friends' who, due to previous bad experiences, they may not trust. There are many reasons why someone might not have family or a large group of friends to fall back on.
This.
:please:
BS:
yea move away from bad experiences an bad friends, escape to Cambodia, start over, reinvent yourself, etc etc, but unless ur a total asshole, you have good friends as well
.....feel that life is better with just a small circle of one or two trusted friends rather than a large circle of 'friends' ....might not have family or a large group of friends to fall back on
so which is it? Move away from bad friends /family or have a small circle of good ones?
I have a very small circle of good friends, (who the fuck needs a large group of friends?) that would bend over backwards for me and i for them. I have never considered having friends as a back up plan in case i fall on hard times,,,
Does anyone??

I've been down an out, as have a few of my friends, but with help from each other, we pulled thru
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:26 pm I was a drug addict in Phnom Penh in the late nineties
I’m happy that you managed to get out of that situation. Stay strong brother.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:27 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:57 pm
This.
:please:
BS:
yea move away from bad experiences an bad friends, escape to Cambodia, start over, reinvent yourself, etc etc, but unless ur a total asshole, you have good friends as well
.....feel that life is better with just a small circle of one or two trusted friends rather than a large circle of 'friends' ....might not have family or a large group of friends to fall back on
so which is it? Move away from bad friends /family or have a small circle of good ones?
I have a very small circle of good friends, (who the fuck needs a large group of friends?)
that would bend over backwards for me and i for them. I have never considered having friends as a back up plan in case i fall on hard times,,,
Does anyone??

I've been down an out, as have a few of my friends, but with help from each other, we pulled thru
Well, they are not mutually exclusive as you have shown yourself here (bolded).

You're just being very judgmental imo in refusing to accept xandreu's point that there are natural loners that for whatever reason shun having lots of friends.

And what's with the 'BS' ? So every time you don't agree with another member you claim bs Is that your idea of being civil and having a healthy non antagonistic discussion on the forum?
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:26 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:04 pm It’s they have no family and no friends left as they have ripped them all off so, last resort, beg.
Really? I was a drug addict in Phnom Penh in the late nineties who needed help (which I'm eternally grateful to have received) from my family. This aid was made available to me because I always treated my family with respect and never brought the wolf to the door. I also knew of other addicts who had the support of family members until they sorted their shit out.

Making the generalisation you have above exposes your complete ignorance. Some people in the world don't actually have people or family they can call on, or refuse to ask family for help as they harbour great shame for the situation they find themselves in. May none of your family or friends find themselves in need of your help one day.
Really?

I was a heroin addict for about 2 decades and a drug user for 35 years. I was also homeless for a period and slept in squats or on the street. I never begged.

Granted these western beggars might not have a single family member (although this seems unlikely) but not a single mate either? No one to help? Why?

They are not too proud either, addicts are hardly known for their high self regard, and they aren’t even begging to raise the funds to go home. They are just raising enough to score.

You of all people should know that if you are a former addict yourself.

I would also hazard a guess that none of them come from backgrounds of abject poverty either or social deprivation either as to even entertain the idea of traveling to far away lands requires a certain middle class or at least educated and globally aware mindset and attitude and they managed to get themselves out here. Most of the junkies I knew who did have no family and came up through care homes etc had never been anywhere and wouldn’t even make the connection that they could travel etc

I am almost certain that every farang who begs out here comes from relative privilege and has someone to help them back home unless they have burnt all bridges which is what I am saying these people must have done.

I ended up in a similar state in Bangkok due to my woeful behavior and had to borrow money to get home pay my overstay fine , bail etc.

But I never begged.

Also you seem to be in agreement with me as you say you never begged as you had family who you treated respectfully. Go you.

I treated my family and friends badly during the end of my addiction and they still bailed me out
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:34 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:26 pm

Really?

I was a heroin addict for about 2 decades and a drug user for 35 years. I was also homeless for a period and slept in squats or on the street. I never begged.

Granted these western beggars might not have a single family member (although this seems unlikely) but not a single mate either? No one to help? Why?

They are not too proud either, addicts are hardly known for their high self regard, and they aren’t even begging to raise the funds to go home. They are just raising enough to score.

You of all people should know that if you are a former addict yourself.

I would also hazard a guess that none of them come from backgrounds of abject poverty either or social deprivation either as to even entertain the idea of traveling to far away lands requires a certain middle class or at least educated and globally aware mindset and attitude and they managed to get themselves out here. Most of the junkies I knew who did have no family and came up through care homes etc had never been anywhere and wouldn’t even make the connection that they could travel etc

I am almost certain that every farang who begs out here comes from relative privilege and has someone to help them back home unless they have burnt all bridges which is what I am saying these people must have done.

I ended up in a similar state in Bangkok due to my woeful behavior and had to borrow money to get home pay my overstay fine , bail etc.

But I never begged.

Also you seem to be in agreement with me as you say you never begged as you had family who you treated respectfully. Go you.

I treated my family and friends badly during the end of my addiction and they still bailed me out
You're making assumptions and coming to conclusions based on your own personal life experience alone which many people make the mistake of doing. Just because you or the people you have known experienced something in a particular way doesn't mean you can automatically apply it to everyone else as their experience may be completely different. You said .."they have no family and no friends left as they have ripped them all off". While that may indeed be the case for some, it's most certainly not for all, and the reality is, you actually don't know what applies to everyone whether you wish to understand that or not.

Anyway, I'm interested in more fun things tonight like sexy Asian girls and, well, sexy Asian girls. Leave ya with it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic