Riverside begger

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Riverside begger

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Khmu Nation wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:06 pm I should add that to end up begging in a country like Cambodia when you are from a rich country is bottom of the barrel. On that I agree.
at least its warm. would rather be on the street in cambodia then some place in a western winter
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:18 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:06 pm I should add that to end up begging in a country like Cambodia when you are from a rich country is bottom of the barrel. On that I agree.
at least its warm. would rather be on the street in cambodia then some place in a western winter
IF i was destitute, i'd much rather be destitute in my own country, where i could get some support & medical.

living on the streets in some foreign country wont ever end well.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Skankykins
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Skankykins »

Khmu Nation wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:01 pm There but for the grace of god go I.

Most of the time I give money to beggars. What they spend it on is their business.
Well said. There seems to be an increasing lack of empathy and compassion around the world these days.

Someone on here recently wrote a great post that we're all born into our circumstances by sheer chance, and that homeless person sleeping on a bench somewhere could have been any one of us brought up by drug-addicted, disintersted or abusive parents. 

I don't believe in karma or any of that bollocks but I do believe we should exercise kindness and tolerance to others when the opportunity arises. 
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:53 pm
That is very easy to say when you have everything in your favour, like another members quote, plus thoughts of many - Most people who end up begging and living on the streets do so because they have mental health, alcohol, or drug issues (or any combination of them)
My point is more ending up homeless in a country like Cambodia when you come from a rich country (and were I assume reasonably wealthy or certainly wealthy enough to travel to se asia) and then begging money of the locals. It seems pathetic to me and really the solution is simple: go home and if you want to return, get your shit together and return but initially GO HOME. ASAP.

And it says a lot about a person if by the age of 50 (which seems to be the average age of the western homeless people in se asia) you don't have enough money to buy a one way plane ticket and furthermore you also don't have a single person in your life, not one, that would lend you the money to get a flight home whether that be from an old school buddy, your ex wife, an ex work mate, a sibling or your elderly mother. Not one person will spot you $800. It suggests many bridges have been burnt and you have been behaving like an asshole for a very long time.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:53 pm That is very easy to say when you have everything in your favour, like another members quote, plus thoughts of many - Most people who end up begging and living on the streets do so because they have mental health, alcohol, or drug issues (or any combination of them). Some years ago I met a restaurant owner who was lucky to re-gain entrance after his partner had locked him out when she apparently disappeared for two weeks, due to losing face because her mother banked the takings and refused to hand the monies back. He apparently asked help of his friends who turned their backs and didn't want to know him or his problems, he was forced to live on the street for two weeks. I met him at his restaurant were now he was holding the daily takings tightly, he offered me the business for the price of a airline ticket due to being desperate to leave, he did sell in the end to someone and left.
My guess is there's more to this story than told. Friends generally don't turn their back over relatively small money for no reason.

If my partner locked me out, I'd go to the bank, take out some money, and stay in a few dollar guesthouse... Just sayin'.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Some people say they want to bash beggers (of any nationality).
Others just want to judge, shame and abuse.

In Cambodia??
Where there are so many others more worthy.

I don't get it.
Bobby66
Tourist
Denmark

Post by Bobby66 »

PIEMAN wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:01 pm alf is DEAD let him R.I.P.
When did he die? Circumstances?
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:40 am
That is very easy to say when you have everything in your favour, like another members quote, plus thoughts of many - Most people who end up begging and living on the streets do so because they have mental health, alcohol, or drug issues (or any combination of them)
My point is more ending up homeless in a country like Cambodia when you come from a rich country (and were I assume reasonably wealthy or certainly wealthy enough to travel to se asia) and then begging money of the locals. It seems pathetic to me and really the solution is simple: go home and if you want to return, get your shit together and return but initially GO HOME. ASAP.

And it says a lot about a person if by the age of 50 (which seems to be the average age of the western homeless people in se asia) you don't have enough money to buy a one way plane ticket and furthermore you also don't have a single person in your life, not one, that would lend you the money to get a flight home whether that be from an old school buddy, your ex wife, an ex work mate, a sibling or your elderly mother. Not one person will spot you $800. It suggests many bridges have been burnt and you have been behaving like an asshole for a very long time.
You also have to consider that some people are too proud to ask friends and family in their home countries and rather risk sleeping on the street. But in general your right.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

It’s got nothing to do with pride as if it did they wouldn’t beg in the first place. It’s they have no family and no friends left as they have ripped them all off so, last resort, beg.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

King Keil wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:48 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:40 am

You also have to consider that some people are too proud to ask friends and family in their home countries and rather risk sleeping on the street. But in general your right.
No such thing as to proud to ask a true friend
what amazes me is at the age many of them are, they have no friends /family to ask
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic