Riverside begger

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: Riverside begger

Post by siliconlife »

Bluelabel wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:03 pm What are these blokes thinking when they make the decision to start begging in a place like KoW?

Do they just wake up one day and say, Oh i might get on the next flight to KoW and beg for a living?

Could they not work for two months in the west then live a minimalist lifestyle in KoW for 6 months ?

How hard is that in comparison to being dead broke, overstaying and begging off monks and poor khmers for whisky money / rice.
Often it's a scam, just predatory behaviour.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

bobagubi wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:44 pm What's with the Swedish 'round here?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systembolaget

monstra mihi bona!
bobagubi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by bobagubi »

[Mod edit: CEO policy is no CNE links..thanks]
No CNE links?

How about this one - same same, but different.

http://khosja.com/?p=5673&fbclid=IwAR3y ... XdiYm9fLnc
សូមអរគុណសូមជំរាបលា។
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

bobagubi wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:59 pm

[Mod edit: CEO policy is no CNE links..thanks]
No CNE links?

How about this one - same same, but different.

http://khosja.com/?p=5673&fbclid=IwAR3y ... XdiYm9fLnc
Yep, see here: post390296.html#p390296
Skankykins
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Skankykins »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:58 pm
jovial fucher wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:24 pm Speaking of beggars, I'd like to know what the history behind the French guy is.

Twice I've run into him in passing and he asks for money, but when you tell him no, he unleashes a string of profanity in your direction, in French. Anybody else have this experience?
I haven't encountered him. My father had just arrived here for the first time in 2006 and after checking into the hotel we were strolling along the quay in the evening having a pleasant chat. Some English guy came up with a bogus "My passport and everything were..." But I cut him off with a stern "I don't have any money". He wandered off muttering profanities. I mentioned to my dad that if he wasn't there I would have thought about giving the guy a smack in the chops. We laughed. 8-)
Hilarious.
So you joked that you would attack a destitute human who worked up the courage and overcome any shame to ask you for help? You and your father sound like a right pair of gypo thugs.
Get a grip, you pugnacious tit.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

There but for the grace of god go I.

Most of the time I give money to beggars. What they spend it on is their business.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Khmu Nation wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:01 pm There but for the grace of god go I.

Most of the time I give money to beggars. What they spend it on is their business.

Can I have $5 please.?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

If you came up to me on the street and asked for money I would, more times that not, give you something. What you spend that on - that's your business. I feel sorry for them - whether they are alkies or junkies or whatever.

I was at home for xmas - London. Never seen so many beggars in central London in my life. Tents, sleeping bags, mass begging, open drug use, the works. Reminded me of the bull ring by Waterloo in the 80s. Really really bad. Hundreds of the poor bastards.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I should add that to end up begging in a country like Cambodia when you are from a rich country is bottom of the barrel. On that I agree.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Khmu Nation wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:06 pm I should add that to end up begging in a country like Cambodia when you are from a rich country is bottom of the barrel. On that I agree.
That is very easy to say when you have everything in your favour, like another members quote, plus thoughts of many - Most people who end up begging and living on the streets do so because they have mental health, alcohol, or drug issues (or any combination of them). Some years ago I met a restaurant owner who was lucky to re-gain entrance after his partner had locked him out when she apparently disappeared for two weeks, due to losing face because her mother banked the takings and refused to hand the monies back. He apparently asked help of his friends who turned their backs and didn't want to know him or his problems, he was forced to live on the street for two weeks. I met him at his restaurant were now he was holding the daily takings tightly, he offered me the business for the price of a airline ticket due to being desperate to leave, he did sell in the end to someone and left.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic