TV or Internet - what do you think ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

TV or Internet - what do you think ?

Post by kaputt »

TV . entertaining or simply boring ?

OK, i admit i haven't watched much TV in recent years except in Hotel Rooms. The most boring i found was this constant repetition of news that often enough showed a single perspective to issues that interested me. The Internet on the other hand was delivering tons of different perspectives to an issue which helped me to find something that was hidden between the lines more often than not.

Regarding Movies on TV i found the american Block Busters the .worst because of it's constant flow of violence. Certainly this must have an effect on how viewers see the real life. Few TV channels deliver a balanced picture on global News. Al Jazeera for example.

What's your view on this subject ?
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: TV or Internet - what do you think ?

Post by siliconlife »

Take to the caves, hunt with spears, and forage for berries. Don't forget to brew beer in a dugout. :beer3:
DrRawBlueGreen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DrRawBlueGreen »

I only watch tv when I am in a room where others are watching. The Internet provides lots of views but also a lot of bullshit. Al Jazeera, like all big media channels, is bias too. Al Jazeera belongs to Qatar, a country where human rights are not existent. Look under which conditions the workers, who come from poor countries like Bangladesh, Nepal, India and others, build the infrastructure for the World Cup.

Movies and series are just another branch of mass manipulation. I have to admit I watch some series.
“If the world was a girl, I’d stick my d..k in the ground. F..k the World.”

“Borders do not make us safe rather they keep us as slaves”
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Cable TV is almost,, or soon will be ,,,, a thing of the past. They put on programs , propaganda and news that they want you to watch . With the internet you can get most of those tv programs and more and you watch what you want to watch.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Do you want fake news or twisted news?
No (mainstream) news is the best option
You'll hear about stuff that really affects you by word of mouth, unless you're a hermit

monstra mihi bona!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

So you only watch rom-coms? There's not a whole hell of a lot going on that doesn't have violence in it. I'm trying to think of something I have watched recently. Netfux has a lot of detective shows on it, do they count? Live tv's ok for sports. Anything else you can find on the internet. Except the rugby, it seems that no fucker streams the rugby.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I have cable but I never watch it. Well if something hugely newsworthy happens I'll switch on BBC World or CNN.

Mostly I watch the ABC News Channel (AU) on their Youtube stream, and sometimes I watch some live channels streams on Kodi. Everything else I still download torrents for.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I have cable and an android TV MI Box with 1T HD for internet also I use torrents to DL movies and TV series that interest me or for the kiddies
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Everything is now internet. If I ever watch TV its only Itunes or Netflix, and You Tube. Otherwise, its my laptop. Cable is dead isn't it?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

@cptrelentless

There is a site called acrossthetasman that records pretty much all games for download - it it wont let you join I may have invites

Otherwise for $20 a month look at rugbypass.com which has most games live and you can also stream on demand - very good quality service
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic