Street 93 Festival & Phnom Penh Underground 5th Birthday - 16/03/19

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
PPUG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Street 93 Festival & Phnom Penh Underground 5th Birthday - 16/03/19

Post by PPUG »

But still an amazing night!
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

PPUG wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:50 pm
Queef wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:30 pm Thank you guys for organizing this block party.

I have to say though, it was weak. The failed rappers from the west (that one French rapper?! Really??!!) and the default bald black guy screaming "put your hands up", come on guys. Ok, the entry fee was only $3 with a local beer. I'll give you that.

I understand that given your budget, you can't get legit headliners such as Bassnectar, Billy Kenny, or Excision. It still doesn't mean that you should settle for mediocrity.

I've been to most of your events since I landed in PP and they were lit. This was by far the least entertaining one.

I'm not giving up on PPUG, but yall gotta step your game up. Fr fr
Apologies you didnt enjoy yourself...I have to say that the feedback that we got from over 700 party-goers on the night was extremley positive.

I would point out that the performer you mentioned was for 40 minutes of a (planned) 5 hour party and was designed to transition between the live band section of the festival into the DJ section. The rapper was actually Khmer - not sure if he's "failed" or not, but I thought he did a good job in the transition stage.

I'm assuming you stayed for more than 40 minutes as you would seen 3 excellent DJs after the first act

Unfortunately, as I am sure you know, we had a freak rainstorm that meant we had to end at 11.30pm instead of our planned 2am.
We attempted to restart after the first downpour, but had to stop due to safety concerns, which was extremley dissapointing for everyone - especially ourselves who had put several thousand dollars into the event.

Still, onwards and upwards and we hope to see you at our next event - I'm afraid we wont ever have artists like Bassnectar, Billy Kenny, or Excision, mainly because they are not our style of music at all. Even if they were, the fact that, for instance, Bassnectar charges upwards of $100,000 per a set makes him slightly out of the leaugue for independent promoters, without sponsorship in Cambodia

But if you like more underground styles of music, please come and join us on the 29th!

https://www.facebook.com/events/410032399754126/

Planning on attending the event at One Love.

I'm glad 700 people gave you awesome feedback. I just didn't think it was anywhere near as good as that one party at pontoon or the other one near Oskar in riverside.
"rapper" was singing in French. I just assumed he was French. Only good French rappers out there are doc gyneco and Mc solaar.
I was there until the rain started. House DJs were dropping some dimes, but for some reason, like I previously said, there was something missing. The vibe was just off and that's unlike any other PPUG events I've attended.

My ex works for DoLab. At LIB 2017, bassnectar was the headliner and cost $60k for a 90min set on the main stage. If you have the right connections, you can get discounts (bassnectar is usually not a headliner. That's also probably why he got paid less). Then again, DoLab has its own stage at Coachella, one major festival, and small parties throughout the year. They make millions.

Long story short, I thought it was weak af but I'll get over myself and have a blast on the 29th. Peace yall

PS: Billy Kenny from the label dirtybird is right down your alley. He's now 86 from the US for flying with weed in his luggage. Maybe you guys could get him to come to Cambodia for a 50cent beer and a happy pizza!
PPUG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PPUG »

PS: Billy Kenny from the label dirtybird is right down your alley. He's now 86 from the US for flying with weed in his luggage. Maybe you guys could get him to come to Cambodia for a 50cent beer and a happy pizza!
:roll:
At LIB 2017, bassnectar was the headliner and cost $60k for a 90min set on the main stage. If you have the right connections, you can get discounts (bassnectar is usually not a headliner. That's also probably why he got paid less)
Unfortunately not remotely in our budget. And to that 60k you have to add 2 x business class flights, accomadation, per diem etc.
If we had 6000 people who would pay $20 each then maybe - but many people complain about spending $3 in Cambodia....just the way it is!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic