Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway - Now Open

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway Underway

Post by Doc67 »

If that road can cut a 200km journey from 6 hours to under 3, sign me up.

The only issue is what will happen when Khmers get to drive at 80/90/100 m.p.h.? Safe spacing between you and the car in front, stopping distance appreciation, looking into the distance for trouble ahead etc. are not skill sets I have noticed here. Most barely look when crossing a junction.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Will it be fenced? In Thailand, the main criteion for a good highway is whether it is fenced. Presumably because it keeps dogs etc out.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:53 am Will it be fenced? In Thailand, the main criteion for a good highway is whether it is fenced. Presumably because it keeps dogs etc out.
They were promised this:

Looks like it's a long way from completed, and I can't see and fences or even external barriers, so if you go off the road you are in a bit of trouble. Judging by the photo's and the road side foliage, they might never find you.

atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

If the bottom photo is what's been built it's nothing like the top photos, and who does 100klm in a 100 zone you won't see me on it , maybe safer taking the old m4 once all the speedsters are on the highway
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Where does it start in the capital?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:24 am Where does it start in the capital?
If you look at google maps on satellite you can see the great big scar going across the land. It seems to end just north of NR4 and NR3 junction.

Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:26 am If that road can cut a 200km journey from 6 hours to under 3, sign me up.

The only issue is what will happen when Khmers get to drive at 80/90/100 m.p.h.? Safe spacing between you and the car in front, stopping distance appreciation, looking into the distance for trouble ahead etc. are not skill sets I have noticed here. Most barely look when crossing a junction.
It was always 3 hours - the constant roadworks/poor road conditions are what made it 6 hours. I for one can't wait to see white right hand drive Camrys bombing down there in 2 hours, with 3 passengers in the front, driver one hand on the wheel, the other on his mobile organising his next pick up; it'll be like the good old days!
:assasin:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:43 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:26 am If that road can cut a 200km journey from 6 hours to under 3, sign me up.

It was always 3 hours - the constant roadworks/poor road conditions are what made it 6 hours. I for one can't wait to see white right hand drive Camrys bombing down there in 2 hours, with 3 passengers in the front, driver one hand on the wheel, the other on his mobile organising his next pick up; it'll be like the good old days!
:assasin:
Will the big trucks follow the rest of the world by being in the inside lane or still follow the Khmer dual-carriageway custom of using the outside lane as they are less likely to have to try to stop?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Of course they need to be in the outside lane, how else will you put the market stalls on the inside lane?!
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

I don't know the local terminology for lanes, would it make sense to a Khmer person that the outside lane is the one closest to the middle and not the one on the edge?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic