Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway - Now Open

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
highrider
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway Underway

Post by highrider »

Contrary to the artist's impression, there won't be a tunnel as part of this expressway. There's no need. Most of the route is flat, and although there are a couple of hills near Sihanoukville, they are too small to be worth tunneling through. The only other part of the route where a tunnel could be put is at the Pich Nil pass, but that isn't happening either, as the expressway passes over the existing highway as a bridge, and then down the modest hill towards Sihanoukville.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Expressway Construction 50 percent Complete
[49% on 7 May, but soon to hit the half-way line]
AKP Phnom Penh, May 13, 2021 --

The Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway project is nearly 50 percent complete as of early May, and the construction continues despite the COVID-19 outbreak.

According to Mr. Heang Sotheayuth, Spokesperson for the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, the construction of the Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has achieved 49 percent as of May 7, 2021.

The project was launched on Mar. 22, 2019 under the presidency of Prime Minister Samdech Akka Moha Techo HE. The construction would take about 48 months.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Well the road wasn't built for the locals that's for sure $0.10 per kilometer about $20 in tolls PP to Sihanoukville

https://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/tr ... expressway
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

atst wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:26 am Well the road wasn't built for the locals that's for sure $0.10 per kilometer about $20 in tolls PP to Sihanoukville

If it can help reduce the death on the national roads caused by the big cars driven by incompetent drivers.
Seems quite ok with me.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Unfortunately many of those big cars come with rich owners who wouldn't blink at paying 20 bucks or more. The trucks now...
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I’d pay $20 to use it on the odd occasions I drive down.
People of the world, spice up your life.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Queef wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:08 am
Duncan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:42 am
Queef wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:06 am If only Cambodia looked that nice... A toll though? Is this part of the plan?

Yes ,,, It's user pays. Probably free for a while to get people hooked onto the idea of using it.
Got it. That's probably the only idea they could come up with to pay off the interest fees on that Chinese loan
I believe its a Chinese company actually doing the whole thing, and they will decide on the tolls when its completed, so its a long term revenue opportunity for them
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

atst wrote:Well the road wasn't built for the locals that's for sure $0.10 per kilometer about $20 in tolls PP to Sihanoukville

It wasn't?
I see more Rolls Royce, Range Rovers, Lamborghinis, etc. in PP than I ever saw in Beverly hills or Miami.....all driven by locals.

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway Construction Achieved at 65 Percent
AKP Phnom Penh, August 20, 2021 --
The Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway construction project has been now 65 percent complete.

The update was shared by Senior Minister, Minister of Public Work and Transport H.E. Sun Chanthol in a meeting of Infrastructure and Regional Integration Technical Working Group (IRITWG) held yesterday in hybrid format.

The construction process of the expressway continues as planned despite the COVID-19 pandemic outbreak.

The ministry has been also conducting study on the construction of Phnom Penh-Bavet expressway under BOT form, H.E. Sun Chanthol added.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

mannanman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:37 am I’d pay $20 to use it on the odd occasions I drive down.
I thought about it and no I won’t have y because NH4 will be less busy.

Bit like the M6 toll on England. Unless the M6 proper is blocked there’s very little difference.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic