Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway - Now Open

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Re: Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway Underway

Post by Felgerkarb »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:00 am
jaynewcastle wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:49 pm
Doc67 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:34 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:50 pm Quick update on the new highway construction.

PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023
2 Dec 2019
The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday.

The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the coastal Preah Sihanouk province is being invested in by the China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC) through Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd.

Malaysian engineering consultancy Minconsult Sdn Bhd is providing technical construction consultancy and advisory services on the project.

It is being constructed under the build-operate-transfer model, which is a form of project financing where the public sector grants concessions to a private entity to build and operate projects.

Sorya told The Post that progress on the project has been steady since it broke ground, with it currently five per cent complete.

Kampong Speu provincial governor Vei Samnang said construction on the project was constant, with work carried out day and night.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... early-2023
190 KPH?
Is that the speed limit? If so, who will police it? And who will teach people to drive at those speeds? There is a world of difference between the current maximum speed of about 100kph (oncoming trucks permitting) and 190kph.

The new road could be even more dangerous than the old road.

Not sure whether you're being serious or making a joke, but 190km is obviously the length of the new highway being constructed
Oops... I misread it :oops: I thought that was the speed limit and it was being used as a marketing tool. Mea culpa...

Ya, I freaked when I saw what you wrote. I was thinking...remember escalators when they were new here? The pile ups at the bottom of the thing? Imagine on ramps with oncoming traffic and Samnang Camry stopping at the bottom of the on ramp.../shudder. I still think this will be a major issue...just at a lower speed.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Expressway families in compensation appeal
Long Kimmarita | Publication date 16 December 2019 | 23:17

More than 100 families whose land is part of the Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway project have appealed to the government to speed up compensation.

The families gathered in Phnom Penh’s Kambol commune in Kambol district on Sunday to call for a swift resolution to the issue.

A 37-year-old woman told The Post on Monday that she had to repay a bank in instalments over more than two years for a loan to acquire the land.

She said she had bought land, which cost between $4,000 and $20,000 according to the type, from a private company in the area.

Authorities had measured land in the area early this year and said it was part of the expressway project, where houses or businesses could not be built. The government said it will compensate those affected.

The land had been recognised by the authorities, with some families taking bank loans to buy plots. Others had paid a private company in monthly instalments for the land and constructed houses.

“The important thing now is that the government has yet to compensate us, and we don’t know when it will do so. When [the authorities] measured the land, they said it would perhaps take three months for us to be compensated. But it has been nearly a year.

“What we are worried about is that land prices keep going up. We don’t know when they will compensate us according to market price so that we can take the money to buy land in other places. The land belongs to us, but we cannot do anything with it,” she said.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ion-appeal
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

lostjeremy wrote:
Equinix wrote:Can anyone post a map of where the road will be? I've looked briefly a few days ago but couldn't find any information of the exact location....
It is mapped out on OpenStreetMap...not sure if it's 100% accurate. Link to the starting point https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/11.5581/104.8033

The red/white line

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk
Thanks Image
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway Construction Is 20% Complete
AKP Phnom Penh, March 03, 2020 --
The construction of an expressway linking Phnom Penh capital to Sihanoukville of Preah Sihanouk province is now 20 percent complete since it began in March last year.

The update was shared on Mar. 2 by the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, adding that the construction of the 190-kilometre-long expressway will be completed and put into use as planned in mid-2022.

This first ever expressway will alleviate traffic from National Road No. 4, the busiest thoroughfare in the country, which connects the capital to Sihanoukville’s deep-sea port, the main gateway for exports and imports.

The project is estimated to cost about US$1.9 billion.

By Chea Vannak
https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/27110
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Expressway news:
Phnom Penh: On May 19, 2020, it was reported that the Phnom Penh-Preah Sihanouk Expressway has now achieved 20.65% of the total length of over 190 km.
It should be highlighted that the project for the highway was opened on March 22, 2019, with a projected construction period of 48 months which is scheduled to be completed before the end of 2023. The investment budget is US$ 2 billion.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Looks good , nice wide verg for Moto's and slower traffic, gee they are certainly building roads around the kingdom spending big $$ hope this money doesn't stop with this corona shit
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

atst wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:40 am Looks good , nice wide verg for Moto's and slower traffic, gee they are certainly building roads around the kingdom spending big $$ hope this money doesn't stop with this corona shit
It's an Expressway... OK,, I get your joke.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I wasn't joking it looks like most other roads hopefully express in name only, or turn into a normal road once the locals start using it
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

I can confirm that for a stretch around 35km out of PP the openstreetmap plot is correct as I've driven past the works being done there. Though last time was 3 months ago, so I can't say how it's developed in that time.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway Construction to Complete as Planned
AKP Phnom Penh, November 23, 2020 --

Ministry of Public Works and Transport has confirmed that the construction of the country’s first-ever expressway will complete as planned despite the COVID-19 crisis.

H.E. Vasim Sorya, Spokesperson of the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, said late last week that as of November, the construction is 27 percent complete and the construction process has reportedly affected, slowing down the construction work due to COVID-19.

“Generally, the construction does not seem to be affected, but the construction firm's staff, who had left for China, have not come back yet," he said, mentioning the delay in transportation of some construction materials due to the pandemic.

Anyway, the firm has been committed to complete the construction as planned, he added.

The US$2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway project has been developed by the China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC). Scheduled to open by March 2023, the expressway is divided into four lanes with a total length of 190 kilometres across five cities and provinces.

By Chea Vannak
AKP

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic