Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway - Now Open

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway - Now Open

Post by orichá »

The Chinese owner will be collecting tolls for the next 5 decades... Before handing ownership to Cambodia, lol ... A lot of middle class money will flow out of the country.

That's 3 years work for a 50 year return. The Chinese aren't dumb...

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Belt- ... sway-opens
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

February 7, 2023
Expressway clocks 1 million users in 2022 Q4
In the three months since the Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway was opened to traffic, more than one million vehicles have used the 190-km long expressway with 38 accidents recorded and 50 vehicles damaged.

Secretary-General of the National Road Safety Committee Min Manavy, said a total of 1,054,962 vehicles used the expressway between its official opening on October 1, 2022, and December 31, 2022.

She said there were no serious injuries or deaths despite the 38 accidents on the expressway

Director of the Department of Information Technology and Public Relations Heang Sotheayuth said some of the accidents were caused by human error.

He said while vehicles remain a factor, driving behavior played an integral role in road safety.

“The ministry regularly educates people about driving behavior on highways, but some drivers do not participate. The right side of the road is for driving at slow speeds, but the left lane is for driving at high speeds, but some drivers do not respect and do not understand, so they drive slowly in the left lane, and this is a cause for accidents,” he said.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501233846/ ... n-2022-q4/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I took the toll road 3 times since Christmas, its nice perfect road, could be in France, except, there is nobody who uses it. Didnt see any police on the 3 journeys and saw several big SUVs doing +160 km/h.
Several service areas with (clean) toilets, and 1 petrol-pump from Total, but dont know its woring already. Coming from Koh-Kong i paid 3 dollar upto Kampong Speu East, in fact the last exit before the main barrier in Phnom Penh. Wanted to avoid the main barrirer because sometimes there is a traffic jam there, and i lnow why: There system is real khmer-style. Even to enter the motorway, the (very) pretty girl has to do i-dont-know how many things with hee computer before giving you the entrance-card. Its an electronic E-card, but "manual" (no joke). It takes time, and to exit the same wy, it takes time for every car. When driving 2 weeks ago the other way from Phnom Penh to SHV i took the main entrance a bit north of the airport. They knever saw a foreign car overthere, they wanted to see papers, called a second girl, then phoned a third, they asked: you have any khmer document: NO, i am barang, so is the car !! ?? After more phone calls, i said, i have an expired Khmer driving licence !! Ahhhaa, hallelujaah, that will do. It took about 15 minutes just to enter the toll-road !! OOhh my preaaah !! Toll is 12 dollar to SHV for a car, came back with LARRYTA-van (as i left my car in SHV-docks) and they take all the way the toll-road, its 24 dollar for them, they dont use the ETC-tag what makes me think that there are serious issues with it also. But all together its a smooth ride, from Angkor brewery in SHV to PP-airport in 2 hours and if you are "heavy-feeted" you can do it in 1.30 alos if you want to. No speeding cameras and no police to be seen !!
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

I have used the automatic registration plate detection lane multiple times now and it has worked really smoothly. Only once on Sunday afternoon there were cars all over the place. People who were paying manually were queuing up on wrong lanes which caused bit of traffic. They should improve the signage and more signs earlier on. But I think the bigger problem is that most locals don't read/understand the signs. They just follow other cars and when they see empty lane, they just attack on that. Otherwise, especially weekdays, you just drive through it.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Yeah, used it twice and the only vehicle I saw bigger than an SUV was one Larryta minivan. I heard the big bus from Koh Kong does not use the new road, nor does the EMS post bus.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I saw on the 3 jouorney 6 big trucks, all from the same company. At every entry point is a weigh-bridge, and its compulsory for big rigs (hope that doesnt give an idea to european road-builders), what ofcourse means, every trucker who thinks he could be overloade will even not try to get on. No idea whats the price for a 5-axle rigid, but probably +48 dollars, they wont win that in less fuel-consuption on a 200 km stretch, and the time they win, they dont care, the trukker gets paid maybe 10 dollars a day. They do the numbers not the same as we do in Europe.
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by kagi »

We took one hour to go from the 115 km marker to the PP exit . No problem at the exit but then one hour from there to the airport.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic