Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway - Now Open

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
drozd
Expatriate
Mexico

Re: Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway - Now Open

Post by drozd »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:25 am
rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:34 pm Looks like LA. Earlier today:

Is this the norm or just the holiday getaway?

It looks very orderly, why is some prick driving in the gap and pushing in?
Doc, Where do you see that prick?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

drozd wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:47 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:25 am
rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:34 pm Looks like LA. Earlier today:

Is this the norm or just the holiday getaway?

It looks very orderly, why is some prick driving in the gap and pushing in?
Doc, Where do you see that prick?
Ha ha... should have proofread the post, now too late to edit. Should have read "isn't". My bad.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I knew the queue would be terrible. Just go to Aeon 1 or 2 and look at how long everyone takes to take a ticket for the car park. Sometimes they have to have a guy standing there punching the big red flashing button because the locals are either too stupid or lazy to do it themselves!

Always huge lines of cars - they drive up then open the car window, realise they are too far away, then have to open the door but forget the seatbelt is on, stop to have a conversation with their wives/tarts then leave the car in gear and it moves forwards too far trapping them they then close the door and try to reverse the car back out, eventually they get their finger close enough but it just stops short of the big flashy button etc etc. Eventually they have ticket in hand but need to fasten seatbelt, put it back in gear, check themselves in the mirror, talk to wife/tart, then eventually creep forward at a speed I did not think was possible. Sooooo slooooowwww.

They need an automatic system like most countries. (Although Dartford toll was also bad when it was a stop and pay toll)
People of the world, spice up your life.
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

I usually don't partake in bashing the locals, but this description of driving standards is dead accurate. Spend a day driving on the highway during a national holiday and you will see things that will leave you dumbfounded. No surprise really in a country where anyone with access to a vehicle can just drive, unhindered by inconveniences such as a driving test, manual transmission, etc.
Edit to say I was replying to mannaman above.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

mannanman wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:22 am I knew the queue would be terrible. Just go to Aeon 1 or 2 and look at how long everyone takes to take a ticket for the car park. Sometimes they have to have a guy standing there punching the big red flashing button because the locals are either too stupid or lazy to do it themselves!

Always huge lines of cars - they drive up then open the car window, realise they are too far away, then have to open the door but forget the seatbelt is on, stop to have a conversation with their wives/tarts then leave the car in gear and it moves forwards too far trapping them they then close the door and try to reverse the car back out, eventually they get their finger close enough but it just stops short of the big flashy button etc etc. Eventually they have ticket in hand but need to fasten seatbelt, put it back in gear, check themselves in the mirror, talk to wife/tart, then eventually creep forward at a speed I did not think was possible. Sooooo slooooowwww.

They need an automatic system like most countries. (Although Dartford toll was also bad when it was a stop and pay toll)
So this is a normal day, or because of the holiday's?

Is this to get on to the road, or get off it, and is it the same at both ends? What is the time to get through a backlog like this?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More traffic jams are to be expected this afternoon:

Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway to be Symbolically Inaugurated This Afternoon
AKP Phnom Penh, November 09, 2022 --

The US$2-billion-worth Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, invested by the China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC), will be inaugurated in Phnom Penh this afternoon.

The symbolic inauguration ceremony will be presided over by Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo HE, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia, and visiting H.E. Li Keqiang, Premier of the State Council of the People’s Republic of China.

H.E. Li Keqiang and Madam arrived last evening in Phnom Penh for a four-day official visit, ahead of the ASEAN-China Summit and other Summits, at the invitation of Prime Minister Samdech Techo HE.

According to the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, during the visit, H.E. Li Keqiang will be granted a Royal Audience by His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath NORODOM SIHAMONI, King of Cambodia, at the Royal Palace.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:00 pm
mannanman wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:22 am I knew the queue would be terrible. Just go to Aeon 1 or 2 and look at how long everyone takes to take a ticket for the car park. Sometimes they have to have a guy standing there punching the big red flashing button because the locals are either too stupid or lazy to do it themselves!

Is this to get on to the road, or get off it, and is it the same at both ends? What is the time to get through a backlog like this?
I travelled back from SHV to PP on Monday afternoon. the southbound carriageway (exiting to SHV) was like this at the tolls, absolutely jammed and I think it would take a good 1 - 1.5 hours to get through. The crazy thing was that as we proceeded north there was not a very heavy flow of traffic to the south (at that time) so I dont know why the queue was so big

On the PP side there were only short queues - around 5 - 8 cars per lane and I got through in about 5 - 10 minutes.

When I travelled to SHV on Saturday morning there were no queues but getting through the booth was painfully slow. a slow welcome. take the card, enter in to the system, hand over money, check money, decide the $10 bill was not good enough (just dispensed from a cash machine the day before), request a new one, slowly check that. I reckon the process of payment was 3 - 5 minutes long which is way too slow for heavy traffic loads.

Good thing was that from Koh Rong Ferry port to home in Takhmao PP was exactly 2h30m - quicker than my usual weekend trip to/from Kep
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Element6 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:58 pm
Doc67 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:00 pm

I travelled back from SHV to PP on Monday afternoon. the southbound carriageway (exiting to SHV) was like this at the tolls, absolutely jammed and I think it would take a good 1 - 1.5 hours to get through. The crazy thing was that as we proceeded north there was not a very heavy flow of traffic to the south (at that time) so I dont know why the queue was so big

On the PP side there were only short queues - around 5 - 8 cars per lane and I got through in about 5 - 10 minutes.

When I travelled to SHV on Saturday morning there were no queues but getting through the booth was painfully slow. a slow welcome. take the card, enter in to the system, hand over money, check money, decide the $10 bill was not good enough (just dispensed from a cash machine the day before), request a new one, slowly check that. I reckon the process of payment was 3 - 5 minutes long which is way too slow for heavy traffic loads.

Good thing was that from Koh Rong Ferry port to home in Takhmao PP was exactly 2h30m - quicker than my usual weekend trip to/from Kep
Sunday towards Sihanoukville was totally jam packed the whole way. But still it took only bit over 2 hours on the expressway. Less traffic days it's more like 1,5 hours.

Yep, it takes crazy amount of time at the toll booths. But should get better once the electronic toll gates are in operation. Then you just load credit on your card and you just tap it to get in/out. I don't know why they didn't go fully automatic with cameras that read license plates though.

To be faster on busy days, enter/exit in Tollgate #2 (Kampong Speu) and at Tollgate #7 (Stueng Hav) or Tollgate #6 (Koh Kong) to avoid the congestion at toll gates.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Most plates aren’t registered to the current owners name. Some cars don’t have plates (new registrations etc), government plates, stolen plates, fake plates, dirty plates etc etc.

Will be a while before that works.
People of the world, spice up your life.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

mannanman wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:56 pm Most plates aren’t registered to the current owners name. Some cars don’t have plates (new registrations etc), government plates, stolen plates, fake plates, dirty plates etc etc.

Will be a while before that works.
I don't see any of those being a problem. 99% of the cars have plates. In app / machine / online you just input your plate number and transfer money / have you credit card info saved. Car owner info doesn't matter. Once you driver at toll gate, camera reads plate, check if you have balance or cc saved, if you do -> gate will open. At exit it again reads the plate, deduct money from the balance / cc and gate opens. That how it works in other countries.

Dirty plates not really problem either now days. This system works in countries with snow and slush. Heck it already even works in some condo parking facilities in Cambodia. So the technology is already in this country.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic