Last Straw ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bluelabel
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Last Straw ?

Post by Bluelabel »

Straw hats are 5$ from bunnings.
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:25 pm When I was a kid, before plastic was invented, straws were made of paper.
You must be very old, the first plastic was invented in 1907
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

The 50 plus generation now were the green generation as everything we used was recyclable or returnable for re use,everything came in paper bags or bottles that were refundable,fish and chips came in old news paper,nothing was wrapped in plastic and yes we had paper straws.Food waste from institutions was fed to pigs instead of being thrown away.Household food waste was fed to the chickens running around in your back yard etc etc.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

andy1 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:29 am The 50 plus generation now were the green generation as everything we used was recyclable or returnable for re use,everything came in paper bags or bottles that were refundable,fish and chips came in old news paper,nothing was wrapped in plastic and yes we had paper straws.Food waste from institutions was fed to pigs instead of being thrown away.Household food waste was fed to the chickens running around in your back yard etc etc.
Bullshit. That's the 80+ generation. 50+ (baby boomers) are actually the ones that accelerated the plastic debacle. Nothing green here
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Queef wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:17 am
andy1 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:29 am The 50 plus generation now were the green generation as everything we used was recyclable or returnable for re use,everything came in paper bags or bottles that were refundable,fish and chips came in old news paper,nothing was wrapped in plastic and yes we had paper straws.Food waste from institutions was fed to pigs instead of being thrown away.Household food waste was fed to the chickens running around in your back yard etc etc.
Bullshit. That's the 80+ generation. 50+ (baby boomers) are actually the ones that accelerated the plastic debacle. Nothing green here
Totally agree. I am 54 and even in Kenya I remember when plastic started appearing in a big way on the beaches and in the national parks.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Queef wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:17 am
the ones that accelerated the plastic debacle.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

cptrelentless wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:04 pm ....

We used to drink through a reed.
A true gentleman always carries his own silver straw with him.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

hanno wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:33 am
Queef wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:17 am ....

Totally agree. I am 54 and even in Kenya I remember when plastic started appearing in a big way on the beaches and in the national parks.
The vast majority of the plastic being dumped into the oceans comes from 10 rivers in Asia.
I could guess what they are:
The Pearl (Hong Kong)
The Yangtse
and Yellow (China)
The Irrawaddy (Myanmar)
The Ganjes (India)
The Chao Phrayao (Thailand)
The Mekong (Tibet, Thailand, Laos, China, Cambodia, Vietnam)
Brahmaputra system (Bangladesh)

And btw, let's no got blaming generations for debacles they had no way of knowing were going to be debacles at the time.
Plastic was considered to be a miracle product at the time and saved a lot of trees.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

Plastic was considered to be a miracle product at the time and saved a lot of trees.
[/quote]

Forgive me for asking but how did plastic save a lot of trees
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

chiltern wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:19 pm Plastic was considered to be a miracle product at the time and saved a lot of trees.
Forgive me for asking but how did plastic save a lot of trees
[/quote]

In the 50s/ early 60s, cigarettes were good for you, and plastic and asbestos were de facto miracle solutions. Corporate propaganda. Old generation bought into it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic