Guy allegedly had a great time running up $500 bill at Splash Bar, paid with bank card, then disputed charge with bank

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Guy allegedly had a great time running up $500 bill at Splash Bar, paid with bank card, then disputed charge with bank

Post by Cam Nivag »

And it looks like he took a dump in someone's pool.

Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Re: Guy allegedly had a great time running up $500 bill at Splash Bar, paid with bank card, then disputed charge with ba

Post by Captain »

Well bravo for him, but he will lose in any kind of dispute with the credit card company. Possibly, if he signed with a bogus name, or signed with his left hand, he might have a case, but it is unlikely. And taking a dump in a swimming pool is very, very tacky. Is he a Floridian?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Guy allegedly had a great time running up $500 bill at Splash Bar, paid with bank card, then disputed charge with ba

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I'm pretty ignorant about these matters but how can you decline a credit card expense after the event?
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

You dispute the charge with your bank and say that someone stole your card, or the bar drugged you, or the bar put unauthorized charges on your account, or you bought a TV from someone and when you opened the box it just had a bunch of bricks in it. The bank then "investigates" by asking each party what happened and then sides with you or sides with the merchant.

I paid $1500 for a tour to Socotra a few years ago, paying by credit card, and the operator canceled the tour and refused to issue a refund. I disputed the charge and the bank re-credited my account i.e. deducted it from the merchant's account with the bank.

This is one of the great benefits of paying for stuff by credit card.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:41 pm This is one of the great benefits of paying for stuff by credit card.
My sister had her card skimmed in South America once and AU $2500 charged to it. Somehow she got the amount reversed twice (by both the merchant and her bank). Despite reporting this to them, after six years the bank finally threw in the towel and said it had been so long she could keep the money. Nice for some!
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

Maybe he made multiple charges so that he could dispute the later ones and say they had skimmed his cars and made them without his authorization. Otherwise I can't understand why he wouldn't just pay once at the end
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic