KAMPOT's TOXIC BARANG - Burning Plastic

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

KAMPOT's TOXIC BARANG - Burning Plastic

Post by kaputt »

Many Khmer People burn their entire waste, Plastic included. While my assumption of this tradition was that they simply followed their old tradition to burn waste (which in not so former times did not include plastic) they are utterly unaware that burning plastic releases DIOXIN which is TOXIC and can lead to cancer among many other deseases.

Westerners however turning up here often follow this EASY Example of the Khmer and burn Plastic against better knowledge because they are too lazy to dump it in one of the Riverside Rubbish Dumps or pay for a Dump Truck to pick up their garbage. This ignorance often causes friction among neighbors which is completely unecessary. They'd rather risk their own, their children and family's health to save the extra effort or dollar. Plain stupidity and ignorance !

What's your experience ?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: KAMPOT's TOXIC BARANG - Burning Plastic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Indeed. Just now I saw a half dozen booted and shirtless Australians lighting what looked like a ton of goon casks, Tim tam packets, and worn dirt bike tires on top of the durian roundabout.

Now I only leave home wearing a fine particulate respirator and armoured with a fire extinguisher.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:19 pm Indeed. Just now I saw a half dozen booted and shirtless Australians lighting what looked like a ton of goon casks, Tim tam packets, and worn dirt bike tires on top of the durian roundabout.

Now I only leave home wearing a fine particulate respirator and armoured with a fire extinguisher.
:voilent4: Uh huh. people are getting dumber. Not just here but everywhere.
A couple of years ago I explained to my khmer famiy why it was not a good idea to light fires and burn plastic in front of their restaurant. They got it. But all nationalities can be dumb. i don't hold out much hope for humans.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

No bin collection here so it all goes in a pile on the government land across the road. Occasionally it gets set fire to.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

I dont understand what the title is supposed to mean. Is there a toxic barang burning plastic in Kampot? Are barangs in Kampot made of plastic so they are toxic to burn?
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by kaputt »

Phnom Penh Shops start charging customers for plastic bags....., there is hope ! When will we see a plastic free Kampot ?

general-chatter/cambodia-plastic-problem-t20560.html
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

kaputt wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:52 am Phnom Penh Shops start charging customers for plastic bags....., there is hope ! When will we see a plastic free Kampot ?

general-chatter/cambodia-plastic-problem-t20560.html
Not in this lifetime....
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Strange westerners complaining about locals burning plastic. Stranger still westerners complaining about other westerners burning plastic.
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

I burn plastic. I espescially enjoy burning car or truck tires. Whats the problem? I am minding my own business!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

kaputt wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:25 pm Many Khmer People burn their entire waste, Plastic included. While my assumption of this tradition was that they simply followed their old tradition to burn waste (which in not so former times did not include plastic) they are utterly unaware that burning plastic releases DIOXIN which is TOXIC and can lead to cancer among many other deseases.

Westerners however turning up here often follow this EASY Example of the Khmer and burn Plastic against better knowledge because they are too lazy to dump it in one of the Riverside Rubbish Dumps or pay for a Dump Truck to pick up their garbage. This ignorance often causes friction among neighbors which is completely unecessary. They'd rather risk their own, their children and family's health to save the extra effort or dollar. Plain stupidity and ignorance !

What's your experience ?
:please:
34 years living in se asia, I have NEVER seen any westerns burning their trash.
NO idea where u hang out

god,i miss the negative karma button. :plus1:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic