The Best and Worst Airline Food

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Moltisanti72
Tourist
France

Re: The Best and Worst Airline Food

Post by Moltisanti72 »

Best I had was with Swiss air. Very good food with Swiss chocolat bar for dessert haha. Lufthansa was really good too. I strongly suggest anyone who can to put an extra 150$ for the flight and go with one of the two.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Look at the spread you got on Scandinavian Airlines during the 50's/60's

chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

I can't remember the airline but 25 years ago I was flying from Europe back to the UK when it was announced that the airline couldn't provide their normal hot meal and could only offer a cold collation. What followed was a delicious meal of various smoked fish, gorgeous bread and followed by cheese, a week later I received a cheque for £10 and an apology.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I eat at the airline lounge before getting on the EVA flight to Taipei. Usually sleep through the dinner service (departs at midnight or 1). Get the in-flight sandwich after I wake up, then have breakfast at the airline lounge after landing. Skip the meal on the flight from Taipei to Phnom Penh and have a wonderful lunch on arrival.

EVA food isn’t as carb packed as the Singapore Airlines food (aka Salad instead of ice cream). Still, a heavy meal coupled with just lying in a chair for 16 hrs then 4 hrs, dehydrated, makes me feel more bloated when I finally arrive.

Is it me or is the food in the air not so tasty? Even the sandwich on the plane has a rather bland taste.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

The last time I had good food on a plane was when I brought my own on board (a while back) - Salame, Asiago Cheese, and Dolmas - even had my own plastic cutlery.
oopsfermi
Expatriate
Puerto Rico

Post by oopsfermi »

They say you should avoid coffee/tea or really anything that they serve to you in a cup. Only bottled/canned will do. Something about bacteria being rampant in the galley and it making its way into the water.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

oopsfermi wrote:They say you should avoid coffee/tea or really anything that they serve to you in a cup. Only bottled/canned will do. Something about bacteria being rampant in the galley and it making its way into the water.
I have heard that the under 'plane belly' service ports for water inlet and sewage outlet are near each other.
Kraken9216
Tourist
Haiti

Post by Kraken9216 »

All gulf airlines have pretty decent food. I flew Oatar Air on Christmas and got a free christmas roast with unlimited booze.

Turkish Airlines also has good food for long (10+ hr) flights. Their food on short flights is pretty average,
Last edited by Kraken9216 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Brody wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:59 pm Look at the spread you got on Scandinavian Airlines during the 50's/60's

Yep, they were into smorgasbords back then..

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:24 pm Apparently the reason the food served on airplanes is not so good is that it needs to be cooked, flash-chilled, stored for a while, moved around a bit and then reheated on board. For some reason all this causes a problem with taste and quality. Therefore the best way to get better food on planes is to choose cold dishes (where available).
In first and possibly businees some of the food is actually cooked on the plan. i remeber first class being introduced to the chef who brought each a meal seperatle on proper plates. Course it could all be a marketing gimmick.
Worst food ever bangkok airways fish, which i aleways seem to get on shoirt hops. Best longhaul budget qatar i think qatart just pips emirates
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic