Siem Reap or Kampot? New here :)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Re: Siem Reap or Kampot? New here :)

Post by markd »

with a 3yo the immune system still not fully developed the destination i would be looking at is the one with the lesser incidence of mosquito borne diseases
as close to risk free as possible
thru shit to more shit
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

markd wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:33 pm with a 3yo the immune system still not fully developed the destination i would be looking at is the one with the lesser incidence of mosquito borne diseases
as close to risk free as possible
Good point, both Siem Reap and Kampot are malarial areas.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Travelingtrio
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by Travelingtrio »

Hi thank you for all the insight. Will probably spend some time in each locale then decide from there as suggested. PP has been ruled out because too much traffic, or am I wrong? We don’t mind tourists but if Kampot is more relaxed it sounds like we may enjoy it there however there isn’t as many rentals as SR. We want affordability but SR may be too far from the beach. Decisions decisions.... I guess I just need to get there and see what suits! I don’t require night life or drinking, I would enjoy being close to nature but having little markets, a super market to get western items when needed and a good pharmacy.
Travelingtrio
Tourist
New Zealand

Post by Travelingtrio »

As far as mosquito borne illnesses, would getting vaccines before we depart not help with this? I was going to get vaccinated prior to departure. Thanks again everyone
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Travelingtrio wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:36 am As far as mosquito borne illnesses, would getting vaccines before we depart not help with this? I was going to get vaccinated prior to departure. Thanks again everyone
Make sure your 3YO is vaccinated for Japanese Encephalitis (or do it when you arrived in Cambodia), and maybe vaccinate yourselves too. If I remember well it's a double shot (one initially with a booster after one year) and it ain't cheap.

For Malaria and Dengue you can only take precautions and hope for a bit of luck.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Travelingtrio wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:32 am Hi thank you for all the insight. Will probably spend some time in each locale then decide from there as suggested. PP has been ruled out because too much traffic, or am I wrong? We don’t mind tourists but if Kampot is more relaxed it sounds like we may enjoy it there however there isn’t as many rentals as SR. We want affordability but SR may be too far from the beach. Decisions decisions.... I guess I just need to get there and see what suits! I don’t require night life or drinking, I would enjoy being close to nature but having little markets, a super market to get western items when needed and a good pharmacy.
Kampot ticks everything for you if you like swimming in the river or a 30 minute ride to Kep for the beach and Rabbit island
lots of nature
Plenty of accommodations (look at the kampot FB page) $100- 500...

Malaria u can take pills to prevent, https://www.drugs.com/condition/malaria ... laxis.html
Not sure about putting a 3 year old on pills thou
dengue... nothing you can do unless you want stay inside in air con all day
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I changed my view on the long term use of anti-malarials after my second bout of malaria just about killed me working in Africa. I was taking doxycycline and the trouble was my system got weakened battling IT behind the scenes before I knew I had it, it won and I ended up with a collapsed lung and a month recovery. It's relatively easily cured on a regime of tablets providing you know the symptoms and catch it early. Mosquito net and room spraying before sleeping would be a sensible precaution at least at night for a kid if it worries you.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic