Will Malaysia Abolish the Death Penalty ?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Will Malaysia Abolish the Death Penalty ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The decision on whether to move forward with this proposal will be made next week. It would be a major policy shift.

Cabinet to decide on tabling proposal to abolish death penalty next month
By Rizalman Hammim - February 14, 2019 @ 1:42pm

ISKANDAR PUTERI: The Cabinet will make a decision on whether to table the proposal to abolish the death penalty in Parliament next month, said Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Liew Vui Keong.

Liew said a decision would be reached before the Dewan Rakyat convenes on March 11.

“Ever since the proposal was made in October last year, I have met various interested parties, including family members of victims of crime, non-governmental organisations and family members of death row inmates.

"I have also received a lot of emails from the public on this matter. We have taken into account the opinions of all parties before making the decision," said Liew.

In Malaysia, the death penalty carried out by hanging is mandatory for crimes such as murder with intent to kill, trafficking excessive amounts of drugs and possession of firearms.

Between 2007 and 2017, 35 individuals faced the gallows. A total of 1,267 prisoners are on death row, making up 2.7 per cent of the 60,000 behind bars.
https://www.nst.com.my/news/government- ... th-penalty
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Will Malaysia Abolish the Death Penalty ?

Post by Duncan »

If it goes ahead most of the prisoners will just have their sentences converted to a long term or life in prison. As we all know running a prison is a business and the shop in some of these prisons make a very good profit from their customers.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic