Will hostess bars let you run up a $674 bill and walk out if you pretend you're interested in buying the bar?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Will hostess bars let you run up a $674 bill and walk out if you pretend you're interested in buying the bar?

Post by BklynBoy »

RickyBobby wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:59 am
BklynBoy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:41 am
RickyBobby wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:37 am
aussieguy100 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:36 pm
RickyBobby wrote:How the hell can a bill ever get so high? How many nights of drinking was it?
About twelve nights drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unbelievable I know, but I have never been in a hostess bar. How much are the drinks, and what other charges can land on a bill?

Reading this and also about other recent reports of bill padding and the subsequent row's and collateral damage and I don't want to set foot in any of these places.
i arrive june 25th.. lets just go and u can experience it?? lol.. its not that serious. Shit happens from time to time but for most part I never experienced anything like my friend did. I am usually low key. Suppose people acting up etc can happen anywhere depending on the type of person but yea at the "shadier" spots this can happen

I think a lady drink is $3.50 or so? a beer for customer can be up to $2.00 maybe?? mixed drink can be same price as lady drink..

hehe, thx for the offer of friendship and a night out bro.

In the west, even if I was buying for a friend, my evening of entertainment costs would rarely exceed $100 and that's when drafts are are $7 and doubles of whiskey are $12. I could probably even go out after for some junk food and still have money left over.

If I was heading to a lady bar, I would likely have primed up at home with several shots, and maybe even a few beers, then nurse it a bit when paying the big bucks. Eh, I find the street view with .50 cent cans in my hand almost more entertaining. Likely I will stick with that. I find the whole [ohh, you so hansum] scene awkward, with the pressure to buy girls overpriced drinks and all.

It feels offensive to me that the interest and smiles are feigned and while directed to my face, are pointed at my wallet. Its not real, its so shallow and I cannot imagine how and why people like it. (not judging, truly don't understand)

I guess if I wanted a girl, I would prefer a freelancer or a grey girl over a bar girl. I have been propositioned many times and by often reasonably pretty girls without 10 lbs of makeup on their face which I would also prefer. I also think that the girls that are riding a cock carousal as professionals are not very appealing to me for that very reason ewww. I mean isn't it true that you are essentially fucking all the people she's also fucked?

I have also never accepted the propositions, however intriguing they were. And on retrospect, I sometimes wished I had taken the opportunity for an experience. Last was on my last night in Phnom Penh, and a block from my hotel, a young lady age 24 walked along side me working me a bit. She had also tried the previous two nights, as she worked that street I guess. I said no thank you again and when I was in front of my hotel, just watching the street before going in, she promptly arrived in front of me on a motor with a friend, age 20. They tried again and both wanted to go with me. I am human and red blooded, intriguing idea even though I have never done such a thing, its fun to imagine. I excused myself and went in as I also needed a good sleep with a flight the next day.

no worries..and agree with you.. even in cambodia when i go out... i always pre-game... have some drinks before and even in the tuk tuk on the way out.. no harm, no foul...

I also agree w/ u regarding freelancers.. hell yea!!.... i hate when your pressured to buy drinks..fuck that...
Pontoon and a few other spots for freelancers
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Will hostess bars let you run up a $674 bill and walk out if you pretend you're interested in buying the bar?

Post by Paulo »

Unbelievable I know, but I have never been in a hostess bar. How much are the drinks, and what other charges can land on a bill?

Reading this and also about other recent reports of bill padding and the subsequent row's and collateral damage and I don't want to set foot in any of these places.

Bill padding is a common practice in the bars of PP. You can reduce the risk by never going to a bar alone, and not running a tab but paying for every drink at the time of ordering, but the best method is not to go out to any hostess bars as they are crooks.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Paulo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:06 am

Bill padding is a common practice in the bars of PP. You can reduce the risk by never going to a bar alone, and not running a tab but paying for every drink at the time of ordering, but the best method is not to go out to any hostess bars as they are crooks.
From your above statement it appears that you have have not visited any of these establishments and do not wish to. Yet you state that bill padding is common and the proprietors are crooks. So yours statement is based on the few bad experiences that are reported on the net.

I have lived in Phnom Penh 22 years and visited many hostess bars. In all that time I have only experienced one bill padding, which I sorted out with the cashier. While bill padding does happen, and it is usually particular known establishments that do this, it is not, or certainly was not common. Similarly while there is a possibility that a bar owner may be "a crook" that is or was not common either.

I say was not common as in the last few years there as been an "explosion" of bars catering for rough customers and employing even rougher staff that may be ripping off customers, which most likely are tourists. Certainly the bar owners I know are all Khmer ladies and are all above board. The only barang bar owner I know runs the Angry Birds and a few other establishments, all of which were kosher. Maybe JL can add something here, as his experiences will be more recent than mine. :D
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

You are obviously confusing two separate posts. RickyBobby stated he had never set foot in a bar. I stated the practice is common, and I stand by that statement. This is based on living in PP for 13 years. I stopped going to bars about 3 years ago due to padding. I doubt if anything has changed as the recent report of the $65 tab has shown. I'm sure the managers are fine, it's the staff behavior when the managers are absent that is usually the issue.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Paulo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:05 am You are obviously confusing two separate posts. RickyBobby stated he had never set foot in a bar. I stated the practice is common, and I stand by that statement. This is based on living in PP for 13 years. I stopped going to bars about 3 years ago due to padding. I doubt if anything has changed as the recent report of the $65 tab has shown. I'm sure the managers are fine, it's the staff behavior when the managers are absent that is usually the issue.
I wrote:

Paulo Wrote:
When he posted, some how it got mashed together. I understand the confusion, given how it looks.

I also said I have never been to a hostess bar in Cambodia that I am aware of. I have been to a few bars in Thailand at Nana that I took a seat street side. It seemed like they were kinda like hostess bars, a lady attached herself to me, and I did feel compelled to buy a few drinks. The sort of got the idea however that I was there to watch the street only.

Oh, I was invited to Draft Bar to visit a friend in SR and realized later it is kinda a cheap version of something like that. I had no clue.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

Sorry for the confusion; that was my clumsy attempt at quoting that was at fault.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

RickyBobby wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:37 am Unbelievable I know, but I have never been in a hostess bar.
It is unbelievable because rozzieoz avatar which you took is evidence you were in Oscars hostess bar on hostess bar street 104.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

fax wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:12 pm
RickyBobby wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:37 am Unbelievable I know, but I have never been in a hostess bar.
It is unbelievable because rozzieoz avatar which you took is evidence you were in Oscars hostess bar on hostess bar street 104.
Lol, well, if that's true, I don't even know what a hostess bar is. I just visited there with Roz, and watched the band. Looked like any other bar to me.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Let me try better.

I have never intentionally visited a hostess bar, nor sought one out for the purposes of female companionship. I am obviously a bit clueless in regards to that scene. Some of it is obvious, like there's a few blocks with bars that are most obviously full of working girls lining both sides of the street.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

RickyBobby wrote:
Lol, well, if that's true, I don't even know what a hostess bar is. I just visited there with Roz, and watched the band. Looked like any other bar to me.
Don't worry, we've all used that line before.

"Honey, I'll be home a bit late, watching a band."
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic