Fatal Tuk-Tuk Crash Kills Two Finnish Passengers & Cambodian Driver in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Fatal Tuk-Tuk Crash Kills Two Finnish Passengers & Cambodian Driver in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: In the early hours of March 02, 2019, a Lexus RX330 crashed into a tuk-tuk carrying two foreign passengers (now identified as Finnish ARTUU JOHANNES HIETA and LASSE MIKAEL APAJASALMI, killing both passengers from Finland and the Cambodian tuk-tuk driver.

A witness said that, at around 3am a tuk-tuk with two foreign passengers was driving on Preah Sisowath Quay in a north to south direction in front of the Royal Palace in the riverfront area of Phnom Penh. Suddenly, a Lexus RX330 plate no. PP2A-5853 drove up at high speed and smashed directly into the tuktuk, and incidentally hitting a nearby parked motorbike.

One of the foreign passengers in the tuk-tuk was killed instantly at the accident scene, while the other foreigner and the tuk-tuk driver were sent to hospital, gravely injured. The victims of the fatal accident have now been identified below.

After the incident, the police went to check the accident scene and impounded both vehicles to keep at the police station. The police are attempting to contact the victims' families.

The foreigners who died in the crash have been identified as ARTUU JOHANNES HIETA and LASSE MIKAEL APAJASALMI, who had a driver's license from Thailand on him, from Finland. More detailed information about the crash, including graphic and horrific images and video footage from the scene, can be found in the CEO News Darknet Forum.

All the people involved in the accident have been properly identified as follows

Cambodian tuk-tuk driver killed: YOEM SIPHUN, 31 years old, born January 8, 1988

Cambodian Lexus driver: HEL VANNAK, 29 years old, born October 5, 1989

Finnish tourist killed: ARTTU JOHANNES HIETA, 32 years old, born December 23, 1986

Finnish tourist killed: LASSE MIKAEL APAJASALMI, 32 years old, born June 12, 1986

There is no Finland Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia and the closest one is in Bangkok, Thailand.

Condolences to the families of the deceased and friends of Lasse Apajasalmi and Artuu Hieta in Finland and around the world.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Fatal Tuktuk Crash Kills a Foreign Man in Phnom Penh; Two Badly Injured

Post by Big'n »

What became of the driver of the Lexus?
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Maybe “it could ruin people’s reputation”.if it was published.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE: Latest news says that the three men who were in the tuktuk have died; the two foreigners died at the accident scene and the tuktuk driver passed away after being transported to Calmette Hospital.

Witnesses say that the Lexus hit the tuktuk at high speed, dragging it almost 50 metres down the road, leaving a scene of absolute carnage with the dead and injured bodies of the tuktuk occupants on the road.

The Lexus driver, who is reported to have been drunk at the time of the accident, remained at the scene and is being held by Daun Penh police.
Currently, the three deceased were transported by car to the Stung Meanchey Pagoda. Their identities have not been released as police search to contact the families. Terrible news. RIP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Fatal Tuktuk Crash Kills Two Foreign Passengers and Cambodian Driver in Phnom Penh (UPDATED)

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Wow, awful. Although my days of being out until 3am are way behind me this is one of those, "could have happened to me" moments. three people just going about their day a fun Friday night out and killed destroying lives all because of one selfish stupid drunk/ Horrific, RIP to all those concerned and condolences to their families
Bob tailcat
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Fatal Tuktuk Crash Kills Two Foreign Passengers and Cambodian Driver in Phnom Penh (UPDATED)

Post by Bob tailcat »

Terrible shame, RIP.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I'm sorry for the tuktuk drivers who need to earn a living but safety must come first. In the drunken hours, use a car taxi and put on your seat belt. They don't cost any more than tuktuks.
joelightcloud
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by joelightcloud »

Bob tailcat wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:51 pm Terrible shame, RIP.
Agreed, and being on the Riverfront, its 'a bit to close to home'. I stopped taking either my bike or car out when going out for a drink (I too was stupid) but using PassAPP or Tuk Tuk's isn't such a good idea either. Thankfully we do have the cars from Grab as an option now.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Even 15 years ago, when I still liked partying (and there was a lot less traffic), I always rented a car if I hit the town for the night. Never felt safe in Tuk-tuks in the wee hours of the morning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

joelightcloud wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:16 pm ....using PassAPP or Tuk Tuk's isn't such a good idea either. Thankfully we do have the cars from Grab as an option now.
Passapp have cars too.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic