Fatal Tuk-Tuk Crash Kills Two Finnish Passengers & Cambodian Driver in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Bluelabel
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Fatal Tuktuk Crash Kills Two Foreign Passengers and Cambodian Driver in Phnom Penh (UPDATED)

Post by Bluelabel »

Just because someone has a nice car doesnt make them a good driver.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Fatal Tuktuk Crash Kills Two Foreign Passengers and Cambodian Driver in Phnom Penh (UPDATED)

Post by armchairlawyer »

hanno wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:39 pm Even 15 years ago, when I still liked partying (and there was a lot less traffic), I always rented a car if I hit the town for the night. Never felt safe in Tuk-tuks in the wee hours of the morning.
Yes, and the private taxi market in PP is extremely polarised in quality and safety terms. At one end you have motos and tuktuks and at the other end you have Camrys and Highlanders with not much in between, except now we have a lot of Prius taxis. I regularly take a taxi home around 1.30 to 2am and I reckon I get a Lexus RX or a Highlander about half of the time.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE: According to police, the foreign accident victims, Arttu Johannes Hieta and Lasse Mikael Apajasalmi, are believed to be of Finnish nationality. The Cambodian tuktuk driver, Youem Siphun, died at Calmette hospital.
The driver of the Lexus has been identified as Hel Vannak, a 33 year old Cambodian from Kampong Cham province. He has been taken into police custody.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Bluelabel wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:49 pm Just because someone has a nice car doesnt make them a good driver.
I wouldn't exactly call a Lexie 330 a nice car but there are studies to be done here; the bigger the Lexus; the shittier the driving.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

What a scummy jerk with his ugly tats and his 5 dollar poloshirt. Hope he gets what he deserves.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Like some others, I'm too old for the post-midnight shenanigans anymore. In fact, I pretty much call it quits about 10 pm, partly because the later the hour, the higher the risk of a similar horrible accident.

The cretin driver looks absolutely remorseless. It might take 20 years behind bars to remove that grin.

RIP Finns and Khmer.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

We should have more road dividers on duty at night time.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by mouytiet »

Oh how I want to smack that smug look off his face..... I really hope he does some serious time, not the usual privalleged bullshit, if he signs an agreement not to do it again I will never return to the land of Wonder What the Fuck ! I think there will be a lot of pressure from back home and the Finnish Embassy might actually give a fuck. So sad and makes me so made, RIP and deep condolences to family and friends.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Fatal Tuk-Tuk Crash Kills Two Foreign Passengers & Cambodian Driver in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

ImageImage

The two Finnish victims, Arttu Johannes Hieta and Lasse Mikael Apajasalmi. RIP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Fatal Tuk-Tuk Crash Kills Two Foreign Passengers & Cambodian Driver in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Awful.

RIP guys.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic