German Expat MATTHIAS MEBES in Altercation After Receiving Bill at Mr Butterfly Bar in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: Confusion and Confrontation Over Foreigner's Bar Bill

Post by Captain Bonez »

pczz wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:21 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:30 pm
Arget wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:18 pm When I read the title I expected to see a barang all bloodied but somehow he seems to have escaped both the running out on a bar bill and hitting one of the girls ..Would have expected him to cop a flogging from the girls at least and the drivers in the street.

Lucky bloke.
Slapping a woman, the guy is an ass. $400 in compensation, I'll bet a night or two in the monkey house and he'd pay $2000 to get his ass on the next plane home.
What I was told as a kid
You should never hit a woman except in self defence, and then only proportionate to the danger.( never did figure out why it was ok to punch a man though)
You should never hit your mum.
Your dad is not allowed to kill you but your mum can, She gave you life so she can take it away.
things have changed
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

This picture looks to be of Mr. Butterfly bar, or something like that.

Was this the bar in question?

BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:20 am So, he clams he didn't hit the girl yet agreed to pay $400 compensation? How did this come about?

Was he worried an angry mob of bargirls and ladyboys would beat the shit out of him for something he didn't do?

Was he worried the police would be called over non payment? But then wouldn't you just pay the $65 and leave and save yourself the agro?

good fucking point!!.. DIDN'T even think of that.. gonna ask him .. I agree.. at what point and why did it escalate to become that more money was "needed"-- that doesn't make sense
just pay the $65 and leave before anything

Yes, he said it was at Butterfly......
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Mind you, I don't trust that group of businesses all owned by the same owner...Mr and Mrs Butterfly, 69 and Candy bar.

I've heard and experienced myself bill padding at the Candy bar. You really do need to keep a close watch of how many drinks you have. Haven't been there for a while but Candy used to only give you the chit when you check bill...that in itself is problematic.. One should probably should ask for it if you're gonna have a long session..

Also, I hate the attitude of the waitresses behind the bar.. they ask you flat out for lady drinks for seemingly nothing and expect a tip when you check bill and pull a long face when you don't.
Last edited by Clutch Cargo on Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bosco
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Bosco »

Brody wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:55 am This picture looks to be of Mr. Butterfly bar, or something like that.

Was this the bar in question?

Loving the kebab shop guy on the right in this photo, cool as you like outside his stall. Good lad and does decent chicken.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: German Expat MATTHIAS MEBES in Altercation After Receiving Bill at Mr Butterfly Bar in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cam reached out to the guy in the altercation, Matthias Mebes, and he says he didn't hit her, but he walked out without paying and she started screaming he hit her:

Text:
Spoiler:
Yes was a bad night

I was already in some bars and a bit drunk,
The most in the post is true,
I don't hit the girl, people what know the butterfly
bar are know that is impossible to rich people
behind the bar and she was cashier/manager

I was order for me two drink and for one girl to have
just a talk, also talked to a friend inside

After maybe 30 min I decided to leave and she
comes with a 65 dollar bill
I ask for what this is
She told me for all the girls but I was not even talk
to them

It was after 3am, so they was not even many inside
This bar is knowing as a bar what cheat on bills.
I normal nice and kind guy, never look for trouble
and know as this.

But I refuse to pay and left,
She follow me and scream I hit her inside the bar
So some Tuktuk driver and others attacked me
In the end a friend See Me and try to protect me,
what u see in pics

Then people stand around us and we try to clear the
situation

Also my friend payed then the bill.

The girl was see that I am in a bad situation and told
to camera her story

So she ask for 500 dollar, that I can leave.. My
friend told me to better do and avoid more trouble
I will send u some comments from the bar and
restaurant group
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Re: German Expat MATTHIAS MEBES in Altercation After Receiving Bill at Mr Butterfly Bar in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by Multipox »

We can just imagine how painfully honest a PP bar owner and bargirl would be.

And how they would never deserve to get their asses righteously kicked.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

What was he thinking, if you walk into a bar alone and drunk late at night, of course it's $65 for 2 beers. The extortion of $500 must be a recent development. If he had only crossed the street to the Corner Bar where you get an itemized total print out updated with every drink, he would have been fine.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

My question is, did he hit the bargirl or not ?
If he didn't hit her, why did he pay $400 to make the problem go away ? From what has been said, the German guy is an expat who knows the Butterfly Bar, and he's not a new kid in town. $400 is a lot of money to pay for something you didn't do.

That said, Phnom Penh bar stories between drunk customers and drunk staff at 3am often get reported way out of proportion. :fighting:
Bluelabel
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Bluelabel »

He got ripped off.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic