Mall mania...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Mall mania...

Post by phuketrichard »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:31 pm
phuketrichard wrote:
hanno wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:01 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:51 pm seems weird to me they keep building malls in PP when half the population cant afford anything in them
i'd like to see them start building Tescos or Big c's through out the country

Does PP really need all these malls? (NO) will they make $$, ( NO) or are they just away to wash $$ (YES)
Does Bangkok need the plethora of malls? No, but they are still building more....
yes and if u go u will see there are people in them all the time...
especially the food courts.

Bangkok is far more developed than pp with a far larger middle class, expats and tourists
You don't live here. Tons of people visiting bad spending in malls now. It's not 2005 anymore.
Dont live where? In PP?
but i do spend time there and as others state, when its hot, a mall is a nice place to spend some time
How many shoppers in Aeon mall are actually buying anything ?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Would you build more malls if your first one wasn't making money?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:44 pm Would you build more malls if your first one wasn't making money?
if i wanted to wash some $$
or thought i could make money and had plenty of it
fuck ya
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:44 pm Would you build more malls if your first one wasn't making money?
Maybe if you are interested in the real estate. I am sure you have been to Paragon Mall in Bangkok, apart from the (terrible) food mall and the (excellent) Kinokuniya book store, that place is a ghost town.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

phuketrichard wrote:
if i wanted to wash some $$
or thought i could make money and had plenty of it
fuck ya
You're right. I'm sure the largest retailer in Asia (publicly traded on the Tokyo Stock Exchange) is in it for the laundering opportunities. Please share more of your Thai-infused wisdom with us.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

hanno wrote:
Maybe if you are interested in the real estate. I am sure you have been to Paragon Mall in Bangkok, apart from the (terrible) food mall and the (excellent) Kinokuniya book store, that place is a ghost town.
I'm not saying malls are great or anything. We all know they're a dying breed in the west. Still, they're making money here and that's why they're being built. Investors see opportunities in an emerging market and are capitalizing on it, what's hard to understand?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:53 pm
hanno wrote:
I'm not saying malls are great or anything. We all know they're a dying breed in the west. Still, they're making money here and that's why they're being built. Investors see opportunities in an emerging markets and are capitalizing on it, what's hard to understand?

For me it is hard to understand how malls which are empty all the time make money. Or I guess they make money from the constantly changing retailers who throw in the towel agter a few months. The olyl mall in BKK that seems to have heaving business is MBK.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:31 pm So in Phnom Penh this is all a relatively new phenomena. When I came here first Lucky Supermarket on Sihanouk which was about 3 shop-houses wide was considered fancy. Paragon on 214 and Pencil on Sothearous came soon after. Then came the mighty Sorya Supermarket near central market. Then Sovanna Mall, City Mall, Aeon and then Aeon 2. The difference is that there aren't so many customers around, so basically as one better mall gets built the one before it gets abandoned. Not that that will stop them building even better and more attractive ones in the future. 8-)
Parkway Square had its day in the late 90s/early 2000s, well before Sorya, Paragon, etc.

It seems to still be there, but don't know what's inside though. It used to have a Lucky Supermarket the first time I went, and a bowling alley as well as small novelty stores.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

hanno wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:53 pm
hanno wrote:
I'm not saying malls are great or anything. We all know they're a dying breed in the west. Still, they're making money here and that's why they're being built. Investors see opportunities in an emerging markets and are capitalizing on it, what's hard to understand?

For me it is hard to understand how malls which are empty all the time make money. Or I guess they make money from the constantly changing retailers who throw in the towel agter a few months. The olyl mall in BKK that seems to have heaving business is MBK.
You should ask why the retailers are inside. I remember reading that the big retailers you see downtown in big European/North American cities (Levi's, etc) ate always losing money. The rent on those streets is astronomical, but they keep them there as a form of branding. Having a shop on 5th Avenue or whatever is a loss you're willing to incur just to "be there" and get seen. It would be physically impossible to sell enough jeans to make the rent in spaces like that, but it's part of keeping the name alive. Having a spot in a big, empty (yet iconic, or with a good location) mall might be similar rational behind it. Well, for the big names at least.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:08 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:31 pm So in Phnom Penh this is all a relatively new phenomena. When I came here first Lucky Supermarket on Sihanouk which was about 3 shop-houses wide was considered fancy. Paragon on 214 and Pencil on Sothearous came soon after. Then came the mighty Sorya Supermarket near central market. Then Sovanna Mall, City Mall, Aeon and then Aeon 2. The difference is that there aren't so many customers around, so basically as one better mall gets built the one before it gets abandoned. Not that that will stop them building even better and more attractive ones in the future. 8-)
Parkway Square had its day in the late 90s/early 2000s, well before Sorya, Paragon, etc.

It seems to still be there, but don't know what's inside though. It used to have a Lucky Supermarket the first time I went, and a bowling alley as well as small novelty stores.
Now it becomes Chip Mong Group HQ
Don't forget the water buffalo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic