Mall mania...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Mall mania...

Post by Jcml19 »

I'd have to agree with phukrich... Thai has by far a more sophisticated eco and larger consumer base than pp... One of the threats though lazada/online commerce may rain on the mall parade but that should take some time.

The excess china money flowing into pp is not necessarily a bad thing but the dev needs to be more aligned to domestic growth projects that support the long term growth strategy ..

Having a large azz mall next to a traffic ridden road is like "youzahhhh"...
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Jcml19 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:41 pm I'd have to agree with phukrich... Thai has by far a more sophisticated eco and larger consumer base than pp... One of the threats though lazada/online commerce may rain on the mall parade but that should take some time.

The excess china money flowing into pp is not necessarily a bad thing but the dev needs to be more aligned to domestic growth projects that support the long term growth strategy ..

Having a large azz mall next to a traffic ridden road is like "youzahhhh"...
Amount of malls in PP is still far from the numbers of malls in Bangkok. And most of the bigger mall projects in PP are not actually build with Chinese money but by local, Japanese, Singaporean and Malaysian money.
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:55 pm
hanno wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:01 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:51 pm seems weird to me they keep building malls in PP when half the population cant afford anything in them
i'd like to see them start building Tescos or Big c's through out the country

Does PP really need all these malls? (NO) will they make $$, ( NO) or are they just away to wash $$ (YES)
Does Bangkok need the plethora of malls? No, but they are still building more....
yes and if u go u will see there are people in them all the time...
especially the food courts.

Bangkok is far more developed than pp with a far larger middle class, expats and tourists
Have you actually been at Aeon mall lately? There are lot people all the time there. In shops and especially in restaurants and entertainment establishments. On weekends it's even hard to find parking spot. And many business is doing big money now days.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm going to agree with my old buddy Phuket Richard on this one. Bangkok has a huge population, nearly 10 million in the greater area and a huge number of tourists. So you get these vast malls like Paragon in Bangkok. They have a vast aquarium in the basement and much of the floor space is used up by luxury brands like Armani, Gucci etc. Then next to that, just across the side street will be another mall, maybe accessed by a bridge, and another one etc. The luxury stores only need a few customers a week to stay on top but even the lesser known malls I've been in seem busy.
So in Phnom Penh this is all a relatively new phenomena. When I came here first Lucky Supermarket on Sihanouk which was about 3 shop-houses wide was considered fancy. Paragon on 214 and Pencil on Sothearous came soon after. Then came the mighty Sorya Supermarket near central market. Then Sovanna Mall, City Mall, Aeon and then Aeon 2. The difference is that there aren't so many customers around, so basically as one better mall gets built the one before it gets abandoned. Not that that will stop them building even better and more attractive ones in the future. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

Don't forget long since closed 'BS Mall' https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/new- ... ple-45528/and Sydney Mall.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

There are 3 million people living in PP and they only have 2 real malls. Guess there is room for some more.
Places like sorya market or city mall were just department stores with small places were you can buy clothes or cellphones like in psar thmey - that is not a mall.
Nobody would consider GSM a mall just because it's in the name.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

King Keil wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:13 pm There are 3 million people living in PP and they only have 2 real malls. Guess there is room for some more.
I'm not sure where you got that figure from, it's on the high side of any estimates I've seen.
Places like sorya market or city mall were just department stores with small places were you can buy clothes or cellphones like in psar thmey - that is not a mall.
Nobody would consider GSM a mall just because it's in the name.

None of those were "department stores". A department store is a large store like Marks & Spencers or even Walmart that have different sections selling different types of products, but all within the same shop. A mall has lots of separate businesses. The old style Sorya Supermarket had lots of different shops under its roof and also a lot of what could be called "stalls". The newly refurbished Sorya is much more like a modern "mall".
Nobody would consider "GSM" a mall, because besides the fact that it has been rebranded as "Phnom Penh Pub Street", it is just a stretch of sad empty bars that nobody except the very desperate would go near.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Ok, everybody got a different definition of what a mall is.
That bit about GSM was a joke, thought that was obvious.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Just for the record I hate malls and try not to spend much time in them if I can help it. Same goes for shops/ markets etc.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:02 am Just for the record I hate malls and try not to spend much time in them if I can help it. Same goes for shops/ markets etc.
Same for me in general but if it's hot outside I enjoy half an hour in Aeon Mall as it's close to where I am staying.
Sometimes I also go to Psar Thmey as I like the architecture of the place.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

phuketrichard wrote:
hanno wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:01 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:51 pm seems weird to me they keep building malls in PP when half the population cant afford anything in them
i'd like to see them start building Tescos or Big c's through out the country

Does PP really need all these malls? (NO) will they make $$, ( NO) or are they just away to wash $$ (YES)
Does Bangkok need the plethora of malls? No, but they are still building more....
yes and if u go u will see there are people in them all the time...
especially the food courts.

Bangkok is far more developed than pp with a far larger middle class, expats and tourists
You don't live here. Tons of people visiting bad spending in malls now. It's not 2005 anymore.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic