Overstay

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SamBotte
Tourist
France

Overstay

Post by SamBotte »

Hi everybody,

Sorry to ask this common question, i have read many posts, but to be sure :
- Overstay in Siem Reap is not a risk ? Less than 20 days, 10$ fine per day, that's it ? Departure then by air from SR.

Because... Looks like a little messy here for extension (too bad for tourist business for Cambodia btw) : no way to do it by yourself, need to trust a agent with your passport (i am a traveller, have a Thai long term visa, not willing to take the risk to give my passport to anybody), no immigration office in other cities than PP (that's something...)...

So it looks like way more easy and safe to overstay a little bit.
So : is it risk free ? Police check what happen ? (yeah i know police check looks unlikely).

Thanks in advance.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Overstay

Post by fax »

$10/day
Risk of being arrested
Risk of being imprisoned
Risk of being deported
Risk of being blacklisted
Risk of your name and face in the newspaper

Is it not a big deal?

Even if you go to immigration office you can't extend your visa there and they will tell you to go to an agent. Just use an agent.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Photograph the page with your details.
Photograph your existing visa.
Give it to an agent.

You will even save money.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

fax wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:18 am $10/day
Risk of being arrested
Risk of being imprisoned
Risk of being deported

Is it not a big deal?

Even if you go to immigration office you can't extend your visa there and they will tell you to go to an agent. Just use an agent.
RIsk of not being allowed into other countries with a red stamp
Risk of not being able to get visas for other countries due to overstay/deportation

If you cannot renew take a bus to the border and back cheap day out
gaplem
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by gaplem »

Yes, risk also exists to be killed when crossing the road or arrested when smoking weed. People are so ridiculous to talk about the law and not real life situation. So yes, there is almost not risk !
SamBotte
Tourist
France

Post by SamBotte »

Really ?
I thought it was "fine" under 20 days, more serious if longer.

Seriously anybody knows the risk in case (unlikely but in case) of a simple police check ?
In Siem Reap.

I agree with the risk to be killed crossing a road here :)
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

SamBotte wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:59 pm Really ?
I thought it was "fine" under 20 days, more serious if longer.

Seriously anybody knows the risk in case (unlikely but in case) of a simple police check ?
In Siem Reap.

I agree with the risk to be killed crossing a road here :)
Last I heard it was 10 days, not 20. It depends on your race, the immigration officer financial position and how close it is to khmer new year!
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

fax wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:18 am $10/day
Risk of being arrested
Risk of being imprisoned
Risk of being deported

Is it not a big deal?

OP, I don't understand if you are on overstay now or planning to risk overstay. If the latter, no way! As Fax says above, use an agent. Everyone uses an agent for all visa/extension conditions.

And if you ever visit Vietnam and think about overstaying. Absolutely do NOT. You would be in big trouble. Everyone uses agents here in VN too.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I think a better question might be-
Can anyone recommend an agent for a visa extension in SIem Reap?
Or
Are agents for visa extensions to be trusted?

Just go to an agent.

If this is your first visit to Cambodia, and you are already considering staying a little longer, something must be right about the place- just get an extension. The agents are involved in doing this all the time. That’s the system. Yes, there’s an initial concern for anyone (I thought about this, too) handing over a passport, but it’s ultimately very straightforward.
You say you are a traveller, so thinking about risks- it may be a small risk to take for some, but having an immigration issue may have a much greater result than you’d expect. What’s the benefit of taking that risk?
gaplem wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:25 pm Yes, risk also exists to be killed when crossing the road or arrested when smoking weed. People are so ridiculous to talk about the law and not real life situation. So yes, there is almost not risk !
I wonder what your motiavations are. From a brief overview of your previous posts, quite a proportion of your input is knocking Cambodia, or interest in things related to criminal activity. If the flag in your profile is anything to go by, it may explain your interests, but it’s hardly ‘Considered’ opinion to suggest taking the risk...
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

As a traveller PCZZ "s advice was spot on.

"RIsk of not being allowed into other countries with a red stamp
Risk of not being able to get visas for other countries due to overstay/deportation"

Many countries will deny entry if you have been deported or overstayed even for a short period.

As a traveller why would you take the risk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic