Overstay

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Overstay

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

30 days or less you can pay the fine when departing without risk of blacklisting....however, if caught without a valid visa/EOS, then you risk arrest and blacklisting...so as long as you don't attract the attention of law enforcement you should be fine with a 20 day overstay.

Not sure why you wouldn't just apply for an extension though, $40 - 45 compared to a $200+ overstay fine!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:24 pm 30 days or less you can pay the fine when departing without risk of blacklisting....however, if caught without a valid visa/EOS, then you risk arrest and blacklisting...so as long as you don't attract the attention of law enforcement you should be fine with a 20 day overstay.

Not sure why you wouldn't just apply for an extension though, $40 - 45 compared to a $200+ overstay fine!
I think the issue is that he doesn't want to give his passport to an agent for a visa extension in case they lose it.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:44 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:24 pm 30 days or less you can pay the fine when departing without risk of blacklisting....however, if caught without a valid visa/EOS, then you risk arrest and blacklisting...so as long as you don't attract the attention of law enforcement you should be fine with a 20 day overstay.

I think the issue is that he doesn't want to give his passport to an agent for a visa extension in case they lose it.
Maybe he is on a tourist visa and has already extended once?
SamBotte
Tourist
France

Post by SamBotte »

Ok, thanks.
Indeed i was under the impression it was not legaly risky, since there is no direct neither local official possibility for tourism extention. So it's not ok thanks for the info. I never do illegal, and never overstayed in Thailand, so it was just the false impression it was barelly legal here with no efficient immigration services.

And yes i really don't even consider using a agent for just a tourism extension from Siem Reap. The trouble in case of passport lost or stolen are way too huge, plus the Thai visa for retirment i have in it.
Kind of not so good business approach from Cambodia here, i just may leave. Or bother to make a plane trip to come back for a extra month.

Third trip in my life in Cambodia, but still not sure about my feelings here with those short trips compare to longs stays in Thailand (witch has regular immigration service everywhere, even if it has become more difficult). Been too long in Phnom Penh (2 weeks and a few days), so i go look Siem Reap witch i don't know (have been previously in PP and Sihanouk, like 10 years ago and i understand not worst to go there now).
But so with this nonsense for simple extension, i will be short to have there a real impression (12 days left), or will have to make a plane-round trip.

Thanks for the info.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

SamBotte wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:21 pm Ok, thanks.
Indeed i was under the impression it was not legaly risky, since there is no direct neither local official possibility for tourism extention. So it's not ok thanks for the info. I never do illegal, and never overstayed in Thailand, so it was just the false impression it was barelly legal here with no efficient immigration services.

And yes i really don't even consider using a agent for just a tourism extension from Siem Reap. The trouble in case of passport lost or stolen are way too huge, plus the Thai visa for retirment i have in it.
Kind of not so good business approach from Cambodia here, i just may leave. Or bother to make a plane trip to come back for a extra month.

Third trip in my life in Cambodia, but still not sure about my feelings here with those short trips compare to longs stays in Thailand (witch has regular immigration service everywhere, even if it has become more difficult). Been too long in Phnom Penh (2 weeks and a few days), so i go look Siem Reap witch i don't know (have been previously in PP and Sihanouk, like 10 years ago and i understand not worst to go there now).
But so with this nonsense for simple extension, i will be short to have there a real impression (12 days left), or will have to make a plane-round trip.

Thanks for the info.
You are perfeclty safe using a visa agent, just use a well rcognised one. more probelems used to occur insihanoukville because the passport had to be sent to Phnom Penh and taxi drivers/ bus drivers someimes lost them but quite rare.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

pczz wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:26 pm
SamBotte wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:21 pm Ok, thanks.

Thanks for the info.
You are perfeclty safe using a visa agent, just use a well rcognised one. more probelems used to occur insihanoukville because the passport had to be sent to Phnom Penh and taxi drivers/ bus drivers someimes lost them but quite rare.
Yes, just use a reputable agency. This is how it is done in Cambodia. If you are in PP, why not get your visa extension now before leaving for Siem Reap ? It will be quicker and less chances of losing your passport. Even though I'd say that there is almost no chance that they will lose your passport anyway.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic