Translate Audio from Khmer to English?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
crazyfourit
Tourist
Australia

Translate Audio from Khmer to English?

Post by crazyfourit »

Hi, I have a couple of Khmer friends on messenger I regularly chat with in a group chat and singularly and some times they send an audio message that I need to translate. Translating text is no issue but audio seems a challenge. Any suggestions? Also thinking of buying a business in Siem Reap, definitely not a bar or restaurant. Any suggestions? I have my thoughts and been in contact with IPS – Cambodia’s Premier Property and Real Estate Company who can do all the legal for me. Any thoughts?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Translate Audio from Khmer to English?

Post by explorer »

The short term solution, is to ask them to send it as a text message.

The long term solution is to learn Khmer. But you wont do that in the next week.

When you raise 2 different issues, I suggest starting 2 topics.

I suggest spending a lot of time in Cambodia, learn the language, and really get to know what goes on, before starting a business.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
crazyfourit
Tourist
Australia

Post by crazyfourit »

What do you call a lot of time, I have made business contacts and personal ones and spent 4 months there last year and this year, picked up quite a bit of Khmer but only phases, hard to listen to full conversation but I get what you are saying, thanks.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

crazyfourit wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:15 am What do you call a lot of time, I have made business contacts and personal ones and spent 4 months there last year and this year, picked up quite a bit of Khmer but only phases, hard to listen to full conversation but I get what you are saying, thanks.
If you are starting a business, the system works differently here, and people have a different attitude here. It is a good idea to know what you are in for before investing a lot of money.

Many people lose money.

Do you have any idea what type of business?

For example.

If you buy an expensive item, and a Cambodian takes you to the shop, you will be charged a higher price, and the Cambodian will go back later for their commission.

You will notice in most businesses, the boss controls all the money. When the boss has a holiday, the business is closed. There are shops where girls will serve you, but when you make a purchase, the money goes to the boss. There are exceptions, like supermarkets, where there is video surveillance, and the money in the till is counted when they are finished their shift.

There are a thousand other things you will learn.
crazyfourit
Tourist
Australia

Post by crazyfourit »

Looking at hotel lease, I know at least 2 Cambodian girls one with excellent English that will work for me, I also am good friends with Cambodian business man, he goes on holiday and business stays open. Also investment not a lot of Money so if make mistake no big lose
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

crazyfourit wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:15 am What do you call a lot of time, I have made business contacts and personal ones and spent 4 months there last year and this year, picked up quite a bit of Khmer but only phases, hard to listen to full conversation but I get what you are saying, thanks.
Kuroneko once came up with 800+ hours if I remember well.

It took me 600-800 hours initially, not including the script, just listening and talking.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

crazyfourit wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:12 am Looking at hotel lease, I know at least 2 Cambodian girls one with excellent English that will work for me, I also am good friends with Cambodian business man, he goes on holiday and business stays open. Also investment not a lot of Money so if make mistake no big lose
A lot of leases are so expensive that you make little money.

I dont know the one you are talking about. Do your own calculations and decide if you think it is ok.
crazyfourit
Tourist
Australia

Post by crazyfourit »

Thanks Explorer, are you in Cambodia at the moment
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

crazyfourit wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:53 am Thanks Explorer, are you in Cambodia at the moment
I am in Australia at the moment.

I plan to fly into Phnom Penh next week.

I normally only stay in Phnom Penh for a short time, then go to a smaller town. I normally travel to more than one town.

If you want to discuss anything of a personal nature, send me a personal message.

I am not going to advise you if you should take on a business or not. You need to look at how much the lease is, how much you would pay in salaries and other expenses, and how much income you expect to receive.

I just know, most leases are high, and most people dont make much money. Some even run at a loss, until they quit.

Even the people you know. I dont know them, but if you work with them, they may not be as you think. If you do run a business, it may take time to get a good group of staff.

It will even take time for you to learn what is reasonable from Cambodian staff. Things run differently in Cambodia.
crazyfourit
Tourist
Australia

Post by crazyfourit »

I was in PP a month ago and had been there 2 years ago, big change and I did not like it as much, I spend most of my time in SR.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic