How much should I pay for a language tutor?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How much should I pay for a language tutor?

Post by explorer »

Beginners could get a copy of alphabet charts. One for consonants, and one for vowels. Either in a book or computer. (There are other, less used vowels, which you may learn later.)

When you come across words you are not sure how to pronounce, get a Cambodian to pronounce each letter. Then put them together for the sound of the word.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Once a person learns enough Khmer to have simple conversations, learning gets easier. Every time you hear a word, or say a word, you are reminded of it, which helps your learning. You then keep learning new words, until you can have conversations about many more things.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

1) If you are looking for university students, go to the riverside (east) end of st 172, turn left past the ngo restaurants.
At the next street turn right.
There is an espresso cafe on your left, as you go toward the river, is a student hangout.

2) The free method: go to ConversationExchange:

https://conversationexchange.com/

Set up an account if you don't have one.
In your account details list Cambodian as a language you're learning.
Input how you want to exchange: in person, correspondence, or by chat software, or all 3.
Next, go to "Search" and type in Cambodian. This will give you a list of all Khmer speakers learning your language.
Send a contact request.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
kps
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kps »

Multipox wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:15 pm 1) If you are looking for university students, go to the riverside (east) end of st 172, turn left past the ngo restaurants.
At the next street turn right.
There is an espresso cafe on your left
, as you go toward the river, is a student hangout.

2) The free method: go to ConversationExchange:

https://conversationexchange.com/

Set up an account if you don't have one.
In your account details list Cambodian as a language you're learning.
Input how you want to exchange: in person, correspondence, or by chat software, or all 3.
Next, go to "Search" and type in Cambodian. This will give you a list of all Khmer speakers learning your language.
Send a contact request.
I followed the instructions. Turning left and right, walking towards the river between the market and the temple. But I did not see a café. A corner building had a café sign but housed some authorities.
Well at least got some language practice ordering noodles in the market. Just strolling around is pleasant. :)
Kay Kay
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kay Kay »

Hello guys,
If you are really into learning Khmer language, I would suggest you to check out this YouTube channel (LIFELONGLEARNING-KHMER)​. I make video tutorial on teaching Khmer to foreigners. Let me introduce it to you.

LIFELONGLEARNING-KHMER offers Khmer course through video tutorial on YouTube for free. Our aim is to ease foreigners who really want to know how to use Khmer language for their communication. The learners can help us back by just subscribing our channel so that we can get more and more subscribers and in turn we’ll get profit from the future advertisement.

Khmer course covers:
-Khmer basic phrases
-Khmer grammar
-Khmer confusing words
-Khmer slangs
-Formality
-Khmer transcript
-others
*More than survival!

You can also ask me any questions related to Khmer language and I will make video tutorial for you. Again, it's COMPLETELY FREE OF CHARGE!
Kay Kay
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kay Kay »

explorer wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:30 pm Beginners could get a copy of alphabet charts. One for consonants, and one for vowels. Either in a book or computer. (There are other, less used vowels, which you may learn later.)

When you come across words you are not sure how to pronounce, get a Cambodian to pronounce each letter. Then put them together for the sound of the word.
I think video tutorials are better since you can see and hear at the same time.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

kps wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:53 pm ....
I followed the instructions. Turning left and right, walking towards the river between the market and the temple. But I did not see a café. A corner building had a café sign but housed some authorities.
Well at least got some language practice ordering noodles in the market. Just strolling around is pleasant. :)
No, there is no market there. st 172 makes a T-intersection at the east/riverside end.
I made a mistake in my previous directions.
Try turning right, passing some sort of school and all the ngo hangouts. You head toward the grand palace I think.
when you hit the next street south turn left.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
kps
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kps »

Yes, that was a nice area with several cafés. I will go back later.

Pronounciation seems hard but not impossible. After learning a few more words I will look for a tutor. It is also a matter of choosing the right words, of course.

Relations with hotel staff is good, I know the boss since before. But it is probably not the place to find tutor. Hotel is Chinese style. My guess is that making hotel staff "teacher" maybe puts him on too high level in the eyes of the boss. But I will find tutor in time, I am sure.
kps
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kps »

Pronounciation is hard. This morning I tried "tiang-ni ort traukaa somaat boendopp" on room cleaning which did not work until after a lot of confusion. Reception said I said it OK. Same with "sa-ropp (t'lai bonman)" in the market. But sometimes I get through. (I was probably too close to sa-rapp which made it incomprehensible, even in context.)

I think the vowels are most difficult. It is difficult not to have a phonetic system. Making your own from what you hear is difficult, I believe.

The little Thai I know I learnt with Paiboon+ phonetic and they usually understand. Maybe Thai also has more consonants.

I studied Chinese long time in China. It was the same thing. The first about 6-9 months we said things like we thought school taught us but people didn't understand.

In due course I'll find a teacher. Good experience here this time, so far.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

kps wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:31 pm Pronounciation is hard. This morning I tried "tiang-ni ort traukaa somaat boendopp" on room cleaning which did not work until after a lot of confusion. Reception said I said it OK. Same with "sa-ropp (t'lai bonman)" in the market. But sometimes I get through. (I was probably too close to sa-rapp which made it incomprehensible, even in context.)
Try: tngai ni ot tdrow gaa somaat bontoob

The td in tdrow is a sound between the t and d in English.

I would say: gom somaat bontoob tngai ni

gom means dont.

Try: tlai ponmaan.

I cant think what you might be saying with sa-ropp. Can you share what it means in English, or write it with Khmer writing. I will probably figure it out after I submit this post.

I always tell staff to never clean my room when I am not there. In some places they steal. They can do it when I am in the room.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic