There's a used condom on your surfboard, bro.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

There's a used condom on your surfboard, bro.

Post by Queef »

I am planning a surf-cation, which means that I'll be spending most of my time in the water. Is there any place in SEA with nice surf that isn't completely trashed?

Bali: trash and crowded
Southeast/ South Java: trash
South Sumatra (Krui and surrounding areas): trash
West Sumatra: trash and crowded
Sri Lanka (not really SEA. Hikkaduwa, Ahangama, Arugam Bay): trash
Philippines: trash and crowded
Thailand: inconsistent surf
Vietnam (Da Nang): trash/ choppy/ weird color
Myanmar: ?

I got all the information from doing some online research. I don't know for sure if it's accurate. Please let me know if I'm wrong. If you know of any affordable hotels near a good spot, please let me know as well. I'd like to be within walking distance to the break.
Thanks!
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: There's a used condom on your surfboard, bro.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Kuta Lombok offers comparatively clean beaches/water with various breaks, fewer people and relatively cheap accommodation.

Edited. Just realized you want to be out of the hotel and into the water, which may not be the case in Kuta Lombok, but I haven't been in a while.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Caveat: I know zero about surfing...

However, with over 7000 islands in the Philippines, I tend to think there's got be some good sites in there. Albeit, I've found in general the best places that haven't already been trashed with a million tourists etc are invariably remote and involve considerably more travel to get there. But rewarding.

I did a quick google and spotted this but I'm sure there's more https://www.booksurfcamps.com/news/surfing-philippines
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:37 pm Kuta Lombok offers comparatively clean beaches/water with various breaks, fewer people and relatively cheap accommodation.

Edited. Just realized you want to be out of the hotel and into the water, which may not be the case in Kuta Lombok, but I haven't been in a while.
If I remember correctly, you've spent quite some time in Indo? Is Bali really that awful?
I heard about Kuta Lombok. Is it clean clean or SEA clean?
I just don't want to deal with local taxi drivers or to ride a motorcycle around the place. I don't min walking 10-15min to the break though.
Bluelabel
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Bluelabel »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:46 pm Caveat: I know zero about surfing...

However, with over 7000 islands in the Philippines, I tend to think there's got be some good sites in there. Albeit, I've found in general the best places that haven't already been trashed with a million tourists etc are invariably remote and involve considerably more travel to get there. But rewarding.

I did a quick google and spotted this but I'm sure there's more https://www.booksurfcamps.com/news/surfing-philippines
South east asians trash mother earth and completely abuse all resources.

Look at cambodia for example all the tree are chopped down and sold and the oceans of thailand overfished and used as dumping grounds for garbage.

When it comes to preservation they only think about saving money.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:46 pm Caveat: I know zero about surfing...

Tons of cool spots in the Philippines. I only have 10 days though. I don't want to spend more than two days traveling to and from the spot. I've already promised myself to take a month off and go to some of the remote spots.
Thank you for the link but that kind of websites is just tourist bait. It's the same kind of websites that tells gullible tourists like myself that Cambodia is well-preserved and has a lot to offer. Fool me once...
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Queef wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:19 pm

Tons of cool spots in the Philippines. I only have 10 days though. I don't want to spend more than two days traveling to and from the spot. I've already promised myself to take a month off and go to some of the remote spots.
Thank you for the link but that kind of websites is just tourist bait. It's the same kind of websites that tells gullible tourists like myself that Cambodia is well-preserved and has a lot to offer. Fool me once...
Yuh, google surfer forums Philippines..that's seems to bring up a number of results altho not necessarily recent. Can prolly rely more on that..
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

You're right. Most results are kinda old. I guess there's only one way to find out! I'm still debating between Philippines and Sri Lanka. Indonesia would be best since it's not too far but the pollution is really turning me off. Thanks anyway!
YeP
Expatriate
Australia

Post by YeP »

Lots of my mates are now heading for West Timor
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Bali is a cool place/base, if you get used to the traffix and crowds.

It's very cheap and motorbiKing the Island is one of the most fun things one can do in SEA

Surf in Kuta isn't that bad either. But there are other Islands if you are not impressed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic