There's a used condom on your surfboard, bro.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: There's a used condom on your surfboard, bro.

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Bluelabel wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:12 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:46 pm Caveat: I know zero about surfing...

However, with over 7000 islands in the Philippines, I tend to think there's got be some good sites in there. Albeit, I've found in general the best places that haven't already been trashed with a million tourists etc are invariably remote and involve considerably more travel to get there. But rewarding.

I did a quick google and spotted this but I'm sure there's more https://www.booksurfcamps.com/news/surfing-philippines
South east asians trash mother earth and completely abuse all resources.

Look at cambodia for example all the tree are chopped down and sold and the oceans of thailand overfished and used as dumping grounds for garbage.

When it comes to preservation they only think about saving money.
Classic example of that is Boracay...closed to tourists for several months last year. Reopened now but with new rules:

Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:45 pm Bali is a cool place/base, if you get used to the traffix and crowds.

It's very cheap and motorbiKing the Island is one of the most fun things one can do in SEA

Surf in Kuta isn't that bad either. But there are other Islands if you are not impressed.

Kuta beach in Bali?! Everybody knows Kuta is a no go zone!

No motorbike for me. I'm don't want that PP vibe to follow me everywhere I go.

It's not about being impressed, it's about not swimming in plastic and shit. You know that annoying feeling when something touches you in the water? I don't want to have to ask myself if it was a plastic bag or a barracuda.

[Mod edit: fixed your images. Links to google image search doesn't work. You need the individual links]
Bluelabel
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Bluelabel »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:52 pm
Bluelabel wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:12 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:46 pm Caveat: I know zero about surfing...

However, with over 7000 islands in the Philippines, I tend to think there's got be some good sites in there. Albeit, I've found in general the best places that haven't already been trashed with a million tourists etc are invariably remote and involve considerably more travel to get there. But rewarding.

I did a quick google and spotted this but I'm sure there's more https://www.booksurfcamps.com/news/surfing-philippines
South east asians trash mother earth and completely abuse all resources.

Look at cambodia for example all the tree are chopped down and sold and the oceans of thailand overfished and used as dumping grounds for garbage.

When it comes to preservation they only think about saving money.
Classic example of that is Boracay...closed to tourists for several months last year. Reopened now but with new rules:

One island out of 7000 ain't bad....
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Queef wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:11 pm
If I remember correctly, you've spent quite some time in Indo? Is Bali really that awful?
I heard about Kuta Lombok. Is it clean clean or SEA clean?
I just don't want to deal with local taxi drivers or to ride a motorcycle around the place. I don't min walking 10-15min to the break though.
Is Bali really that bad? Kuta, legian, Seminyak, Cangu, or the larger south west coast of Bali is a package tourist ghetto these days, and if you don't like scammy taxi drivers, a bit of plastic in your wave, annoying touts/sellers, over built, or over priced everything.......just don't! North east coast (Amed, Gretek)I still like, but you'd need a cyclone for any kind of swell or ride.

Kuta Lombok is a much more sedate,relaxed, cleaner, cheaper, low tourist volume,"feel good" kind of place with VERY good clean waves and beaches by comparison. A lot of point breaks, one or two sand bar beginner waves which are fun (In Gerupuk) ....there's A LOT of beaches. But again, I'm not sure you can walk ten minutes to a good break... as I said, it's been a few years since I've been there. But maybe some of the beaches now have a guesthouse or hotel on them, although I'd be surprised. Most people rent a small boat and get taken to the better breaks.

Just rent a scooter in Lombok which will come with a board carrier and go find your own deserted surfing nirvana, I say. Or, of course,, get a room in Kuta and deal with all the trash, both on and off the beach.
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Dude, you should look at Costa Rica.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

RickyBobby wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:22 am Dude, you should look at Costa Rica.
Went there in 2014. No trash. No tuk tuks. None of that SEA fucktardery. Beautiful waves, especially in the prostitute town (Jaco). Would've moved there in a heartbeat if I had a job lined up and if the food was better
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Queef wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:49 am
Went there in 2014. No trash. No tuk tuks. None of that SEA fucktardery. Beautiful waves, especially in the prostitute town (Jaco). Would've moved there in a heartbeat if I had a job lined up and if the food was better
I remember my guide telling me its beans and rice for breakfast and rice and beans for supper. Haha. Was the food truly not that great? Is it hard to get a visa to work there? I only spent a day on a shore excursion once off a cruise ship, and not Jaco. Would love to hear more.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Queef wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:19 pm

Tons of cool spots in the Philippines. I only have 10 days though. I don't want to spend more than two days traveling to and from the spot. I've already promised myself to take a month off and go to some of the remote spots.
Thank you for the link but that kind of websites is just tourist bait. It's the same kind of websites that tells gullible tourists like myself that Cambodia is well-preserved and has a lot to offer. Fool me once...
fly into manila. head either northeast or northwest by car about 6 to 8 hours. Nw is a lot of surfing spots filled with australians. NE is a lot of wannabe resorts not yet crowded. Good surf usually. Alternative head for the atlantic coast of France . 300 miles of 3 metre waves and a beach to yourself. Its pretty much deserted but you might have to climb a 3 or 4 story sandune! 2 years ago I needed binoculars to see the next person. Cold water
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

RickyBobby wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:12 am
Queef wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:49 am
I remember my guide telling me its beans and rice for breakfast and rice and beans for supper. Haha. Was the food truly not that great? Is it hard to get a visa to work there? I only spent a day on a shore excursion once off a cruise ship, and not Jaco. Would love to hear more.
Rice and beans for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My then girlfriend turned into a farting machine after our second day. Very romantic. There are some other options but they are much more expensive (US prices). Almost everything in Costa Rica is imported. I'm not sure about the visa situation. However given the amount of retirees there, I am assuming it shouldn't be that difficult to get any kind of visa.
According to some expats I met there, healthcare is good and affordable.

San Jose, the capital, is ok. There isn't much to see. Arenal, the super touristy volcanic area, is awesome. Sipping on the local rum while bathing in the free hot springs at night: priceless. Tons of howler monkeys and green/ orange frogs. White river rafting, bungee jumping, ziplining through the jungle, trekking... there's so much to do.

The Tarcoles River is worth checking out. Crocodiles galore. You can book a boat tour ($20) and your guide will feed them.

Bahia Drake is by far the most beautiful place I visited in Costa Rica. That's what SHV must've been like in the 1920s. Accessing Bahia Drake is kind of challenging but worth it. You either have to take a boat or fly there (the airport is a colonial house and the airstrip is just a portion of grass in the jungle). They won't let you on the boat/ plane unless you already booked a hotel room. We took a boat and getting there was just beautiful. Giant parrots, sloths, ojos rojo, monkeys, wild pigs, crocodiles, dolphins, whales, turtles, sharks... the list goes on and on. I had never seen that much wildlife in my life before. Our hotel overlooked the bay which was great.
Manuel Antonio, Quepos, Montezuma, Uvita, Bahia Drake were my favorite towns.

Now, Jaco. Prostitutes, meth, heroin, and surf.

I didn't get the chance to visit the Caribbean side of the country but I've heard good things about a place called Tortuguero.

There's one thing in Costa Rica. It's called Tico time. If you're supposed to meet someone at 2pm, don't bother showing up until 230-3pm.

If I were you, I would check it out asap. Just like in SEA, they're slowly but surely destroying the jungle. Between Uvita and Bahia Drake, we didn't see anything but palm trees for a good 45min.

If you like Cambodia, you're gonna fall in love with Costa Rica.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

pczz wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:56 am
Queef wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:19 pm

Tons of cool spots in the Philippines. I only have 10 days though. I don't want to spend more than two days traveling to and from the spot. I've already promised myself to take a month off and go to some of the remote spots.
Thank you for the link but that kind of websites is just tourist bait. It's the same kind of websites that tells gullible tourists like myself that Cambodia is well-preserved and has a lot to offer. Fool me once...
fly into manila. head either northeast or northwest by car about 6 to 8 hours. Nw is a lot of surfing spots filled with australians. NE is a lot of wannabe resorts not yet crowded. Good surf usually. Alternative head for the atlantic coast of France . 300 miles of 3 metre waves and a beach to yourself. Its pretty much deserted but you might have to climb a 3 or 4 story sandune! 2 years ago I needed binoculars to see the next person. Cold water
Dune du Pilat. I went there when I was a kid. I learned how to surf in Hossegor (near Biarritz) that same summer. The water was way too cold.
I met someone who just visited Sri Lanka and the Philippines. I have made my decision: Sri Lanka. I need more time for the Philippines.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic