Koh Rong Sonloem

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Koh Rong Sonloem

Post by shnoukieBRO »

OK

The beach you walk thru forest to get to. It makes 4k beach on ko rong look boring. It was very long and maybe parts had some wood debris but it looked very blissful. I have good memories of that place.

Maybe it's changed since I was there. I thought it was a bit of a hideaway paradise but i guessit isn't no more.

What I did know is there's not much buildings on the place when I was there so not really polluted.

Rabbit island better...the one near Kep ?
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

It has changed a lot between my first (October 2017) and last time there (December 2018). The place is sick, and not in a good way. I'm sure it has the SHV syndrome.

Yes, we're talking about the same beach! Everyone compared it to 4k beach. I'm glad you have good memories of that place. I don't.

Too many tourists. Too many wannabe eco-tourism/ nature lodge type of hotels. It's all about making a quick buck. Not really about sustainable tourism.

Rabbit island (near Kep, yes) is also dirty, don't get me wrong. It's definitely not as filthy as KRS.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

Queef wrote:
lostjeremy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:23 am Hope everyone got to visit and relax there at least once before it's destruction...

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk
What are you talking about? The place is already a dump. Can't walk on the sand without shoes on. I mean you can if tetanus is the least of your concerns. They water reeks and has a darkish/ brownish color in some places. There's already a bunch of wannabe eco-tourism resorts that dump their raw sewage right in the ocean. The destruction started years ago my friend.
We should say enjoy Kampot, Kep, and parts of Koh Kong before they get completely destroyed.
Sucks to hear. Last time I was there was 2015 and it was quite nice

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I love rabbit Island, but it's fucking filthy also.

I'd wager there a piece of plastic in every square inch of the place.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Looks like Cambodian beach options are getting limited.

:BangHead:
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Super limited. It's ok though. Flights from Europe and North America to Central America and the Caribbean are getting increasingly cheap. Sure, everything is more expensive than in Cambodia, but at least you can't eat anything without getting atrociously sick, you can swim in the ocean and not get sick... You get what you pay for!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I wonder how this place will go in the longer term tho..

I mean I remember people complaining about the trash and sewerage into the sea at Pattaya in the 1980s. Eventually they dealt with the issue AFAIK.

Patong in Phuket was the same pre the tsunami and people were getting all sorts of ear infections swimming in the polluted sea there.

And I think I read they're taking action in Snook re sewerage treatment..

More recently, Boracay was closed last year for several months and now reopened but with new rules: Image

Seems to me the attitude is the same in all these places in SEA..reactive not proactive..in other words, wait until there's a problem and then act on it. Banish the thought of prior planning to ensure future sustainability..

You might have to wait a long time but wouldn't Koh Rong eventually similarly clean up their act and be a desirable place?
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

I hope they do clean their act up. These Islands have a future if they do.

Borocay clean up act beecos is very popular famous place. Rong islands not.

You would not want to swim at Pattaya apart from the nearby Islands.

Flights are getting cheap to Central America and Mexico when booked at right tIme. And this is a great alternative as are popular Caribbean places Jamaica and dom rep.

In SEA if Cambodian beaches are not your thing head to Thailand, Quok Island, or fly Philippines or Indonesia
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

The guy who used to live next door to me worked at the environmental agency and they used to have fairly regular inspections of the sewerage facilities on the island. They would go around checking everyone had a cesspit. Maybe they're just overwhelmed. Or his shop is more profitable. There was only about five of them.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

septics are leaking into the sea all around the gulf of thailand.

you have to get down to the malaysian border to find good sea water
thru shit to more shit
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic