Cambodia's Virgin Prostitutes in the Sex Trade Industry

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Cambodia's Virgin Prostitutes in the Sex Trade Industry

Post by General Mackevili »

Jodie Marsh goes to Cambodia to get to the bottom of what goes on in the sex trade industry with virgin prostitutes.

I was glad to see she talked to some virgin prostitutes that weren't sex trafficking victims, just girls that decided that cash was enough reason to sell their virginity. Many articles try to make it sound like every sex worker in South-East Asia is a human trafficking victim.

There is also a video in the article.

Cambodia's virgin prostitutes: Sex traffickers and pimps target untouched girls thanks to spike in wealthy men willing to pay up to $3,000 to sleep with them

In the Cambodian capital of Phnom Penh, there exists a commodity that is worth more than gold - virginity.

Wealthy men will pay thousands to have sex with an innocent girl and, as a result, 'virgin trafficking' has become big business.

But not every girl is trafficked. Many others sell their virginity because they are desperate for money - and then often fall into a life of prostitution.

Even though many of them do it to financially support their families, many are ostracised by their relatives and by the local community.

Now the shocking story of Cambodia's virgin prostitutes is to feature in a new Jodie Marsh documentary which meets some of the victims.

Although her own career was built on selling sex as a glamour model, the 35-year-old says she is grateful she never had to do more than sell pictures of her body.

'Girls like Sukhon are forced to sell themselves for money time and time again,' she said. 'I have the choice to abstain from sex and I have realised what a huge privilege that is.'

23-year-old Sukhon lives in Cambodian capital Phnom Penh and now works as a prostitute after being forced to sell her virginity to pay for an operation that saved her ailing father's life.

'I received the news that my father was ill back home,' she reveals. 'I had nowhere to go so I decided to sell my virginity. It was three years ago when I was 20 and I was paid $3,000 (£1,877) by a Chinese man.

'I was taken to a restaurant first and then a hotel. I was told to undress and take a shower. Afterwards I was told to keep my clothes off so I was covered only by a towel.

'I was shivering and didn't know what to do because I had already agreed to have sex.'

Tragically, as a result of what happened, Sukhon says she is no longer close to her family - even though she did it for them.

'I'm in pain because my family keeps their distance. It hurts me but I understand because they didn't ask me to sell my virginity, they didn't want me to do that.'

While Sukhon's father, who also appears in the documentary, says he is grateful that his daughter's sacrifice saved his life, he wishes there had been another way.

He said after learning his daughter had sold her virginity, he felt 'anger, sadness and sorry as a parent but there was nothing I could do because it had already happened'.

'I love my daughter just like when she was born,' he added. 'I blame the mamasan [female pimp] and the situation that we are in.'

Mamasans, or female pimps, are a common sight in Cambodia and care little about the women they exploit.

One, who appeared on camera but asked not to be named, revealed that there is nothing that cannot be arranged for paying clients.

'If a client wants to have sex, we'll arrange the girl for them,' she said. 'Also if the client has a special request and they want to sleep with a virgin I will find the girl for them.

'I get a commission from client and girl. Sometimes the girl is very grateful for my hard work so gives me extra money.'
She admits that her career does make her feel 'bad' but she does it for the money. 'Sometimes I don't feel good about selling a virgin but I just think about the money,' she explained.

'Sometimes as a mamasan I am hit or tortured by the client if I don't find them a girl. I do have morals and sometimes I feel bad for the girl.

'When I see the client walk away with the girl I think that I have become a very bad person.'

Sadly, sex trafficking and prostitution is booming in Cambodia, where an estimated 50,000 to 70,000 sex workers - 40 per cent of whom are under age - ply their trade.

One charity which is trying to do something to help the underage victims of sex trafficking is Childsafe, which operates safe houses in Phnom Penh.

'Lots of young girls gather here from Kampot Province and they don't know what the city is like,' explains Sunni, an aid worker at the charity.

'They are an easy target for criminals. You can spot vulnerable people simply by their facial expressions. They might look naive or sad with problems.'

But Sunni said working for the charity can be fraught with danger.

'I had a situation with a pimp when I tried to stop him taking a girl,' he recalled. 'The pimp was very angry and he threatened to.....

...click link to continue reading...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... le-2819233

Jodie Marsh on... Virgins is on Tuesday 4th November at 10pm on TLC
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Cambodia's Virgin Prostitutes

Post by General Mackevili »

And some random comments left by readers that got a lot of attention:

For $3,000, I would want someone who knew what she was doing.

I can think of better people to present a documentary on prostitutes, than Jodie Marsh!

so these girls are wallowing in self pity because they chose to sleep with someone for money?

Yeah much better to give your virginity to some drunk lager lout for free eh?

This is truly disgusting. And to think I had been led to believe that Cambodia was doing well and moving forward after the disaster of the Khmer Rouge regime. Also why is that horrific Marsh woman involved in this? Near enough anyone would be better for the role.

When I went to Cambodia, Laos & Vietnam, I was sickened by the large number of middle-aged western men who were there on their own. I innocently asked my friend if it was a tour group of widowers or something & she laughed & told me they were there for very young girls & boys. It was such a common thing that even the locals just take it for granted. Some even make extra money by threatening to tell the police so these perverts pay them not to (though the Police rarely, if ever take any action). It made me look at any older man with suspicion which was horrible but I did find a refuge for abused children which I was able to volunteer at & donate some money to. A drop in the ocean I know.

I went to Vietnam and saw the girls and spoke to them about the situation that makes them have to do this , well ! The families send them to the cities to make money and send it back for them to live but the girls find it hard to find work that gives them enough money for themselves to live and send money home , the parents do not know they do this work but I'm sure they are not stupid either and know , it's a horrid thing to watch when men come into the bar you are in and after a brief while leave with a girl .... I confronted one about why he did it , not in a aggressive way ...but he's answer sure did make me angry , he said the girls enjoy the attention that that's there way of life and then began telling me about his conquests as he put it ....I left the conversation around this point and carried on playing pool .... He was around sixty years old .... Although a lot of younger guys around my age go to the bars it was always the old men that took the girls away ..... Sick !
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Re: Cambodia's Virgin Prostitutes in the Sex Trade Industry

Post by wackyjacky »

The Japanese scoop them all up. They must have a virgin, I guess they can't take criticism. I know a 136 girl who got $6K & he bought her a bar on 130. I've never had a virgin in my life. Not even in Middle School. I've been offered a few in Thailand, but I was unwilling to pay the premium.
Last edited by wackyjacky on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Those comments are gold!
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

The old "50,000 - 70,000 prostitutes with 40% underage" media spin. This will get the donor money pouring in. I would love to see a peer reviewed source of those statistics.

The link below provides a more accurate study I believe.

The truth doesn't sell papers nor make money for the NGO industry though.

http://www.no-trafficking.org/reports_d ... report.pdf
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Digg3r wrote:The old "50,000 - 70,000 prostitutes with 40% underage" media spin. This will get the donor money pouring in. I would love to see a peer reviewed source of those statistics.

That report is from 2008, so I think it can be taken with a grain of salt. Things have changed a lot even in the last couple of years.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Duncan wrote:
Digg3r wrote:The old "50,000 - 70,000 prostitutes with 40% underage" media spin. This will get the donor money pouring in. I would love to see a peer reviewed source of those statistics.

That report is from 2008, so I think it can be taken with a grain of salt. Things have changed a lot even in the last couple of years.
So Duncan, you are suggesting that nowadays there are 20000-30000 child prostitutes in Cambodia?

You have got to be fucking joking. If anything, the number of prostitutes in Cambodia has declined over the last 2 decades as employment opportunities (especially in the garment sector) have increased.

The only credible source of commercially organized child prostitution in Cambodia was in the brothels of Svay Pak which the government closed down more than a decade ago.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Digg3r wrote:
Duncan wrote:

So Duncan, you are suggesting that nowadays there are 20000-30000 child prostitutes in Cambodia?

You have got to be fucking joking. If anything, the number of prostitutes in Cambodia has declined over the last 2 decades as employment opportunities (especially in the garment sector) have increased.

The only credible source of commercially organized child prostitution in Cambodia was in the brothels of Svay Pak which the government closed down more than a decade ago.
NO WAY. You have read that the wrong way Digg. I said the report is from 2008,,,, and things have changed where there are a lot less prostitution about, Even one year ago the number of girls at Wat Phnom would have been about ten or more,,,and last week you would have been lucky to see two or three., I think you would be lucky to find one or even two child prostitutes about now.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Not according to the gullible & weepy Mira Sorvino in her CNN special as she was lead around by the huckster from Agape, Don Brewster (BTW, 1 of his own employees was convicted of child molestation recently). He took her to Svey Pak, which had been closed for 10 years. I loved when she softly yelled "it's not OK to sell children. It's not OK' in English to the alleged perps as soon as they were out of earshot. LINK: https://www.google.com.kh/url?sa=t&rct= ... 7474,d.dGc
Last edited by wackyjacky on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

My mistake. I did read your post incorrectly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic