helping the forum

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: helping the forum

Post by StroppyChops »

Clearly, you need a PR department. It might be a good time to start a child sponsorship program.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

StroppyChops wrote:Clearly, you need a PR department. It might be a good time to start a child sponsorship program.
Does the General count? He's young.

On a side note, I want to talk about board finances for a moment... in the spirit of transparentness. Last night, while getting so drunk my wife almost divorced me with the general and a few old friends (and a couple of new ones, like the saturated parakeet) we got on the subject (probably because of this thread) of how much money we stand to make with this site.

Let me tell you... it's not a lot. We haven't really settled on what to charge for ads, but whatever it is it won't be a large number. And to keep our site clean looking we're limiting it to the single position for advertising (i may toss some google ads in the footer... still toying with the idea) so that really limits the number of ads we can run and have them actually be effective.

So what does one do with such a trivial amount of revenue? Spend it!! Part will be spent on maintenance... domain names, hosting, etc. Part will be spent on marketing, we have a couple of good ideas on that side for getting more users in here. The rest? Why obviously we spend it on getting drunk... all of us. Our plans are to use it to sponsor community outings... where we buy the booze (or at least some of it) and the whole forum is welcome to come drink it!

So IF you're helping the forum (actually visiting our sponsor's businesses and mentioning you thought of it because of here is much more effective than clicking their link) you're actually helping yourselves! But as the general says, getting more users is what's critical at this point... more users means the site stays relevant, means the advertisers actually want to be here.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

My Ad for the Temple Dancing Girls must be delayed/or waylaid by Cambod. Anyone seen it yet? :) ;)

edit: Just saw OD's post. What about a Pie of the Month Club for the best Post that Month? Promotes both pies and quality posts.

Outlanders could donate their Pie awards to a local. (Outlander is what foreigners are called by Newfoundlanders)
Last edited by Milord on Sun May 25, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Milord wrote:My Ad for the Temple Dancing Girls must be delayed/or waylaid by Cambod. Anyone seen it yet? :) ;)
It got diverted to Wat Thi Fok
Last edited by vladimir on Sun May 25, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

StroppyChops wrote:Clearly, you need a PR department. It might be a good time to start a child sponsorship program.
Yeah, good idea "Umbrellas for Kids" I can see it now.. Right I will need a few things:

1. More attitude and a condescending disdain of anyone who does not work for an NGO (and most who do)

2. A Lexus or Range Rover

3. An enormous amount of 'un-ring fenced' funding

4. A few library pictures of Wet Kids

5. A disclaimer for the above picture to the effect:
"The child show may vary in colour, size and location and is used for illustration purposes only"

6. Some flat shoes and a 3 year supply of Quorn products (sponsored, of course)

7. A Shemag, well maybe two

8. A nice expensive coffee machine, for the office I will seldom leave. Although, I fully understand , from another forum, that Tea Drinking is the New! Rock n Roll.

9. A very nice Apple phone, with Vlad on speed dial. He can be my press officer, if anyone starts asking awkward questions like: " So, what the f**k does 'Umbrellas for Kids' actually do? "

10. A reserved table in Kandel's Bar, so I can be seen getting down with the ex-pat peasantry but obviously, not allow them to get too close.

What a great idea, thank you. Have I missed anything on my list?

:thumb:
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Be careful, you might become a Jet Setting Celebrity and you wouldn't want all that Fame. Then you'd have to write a book with horrible stories(lies). Like the time, "I got wet, Sir.", "Slipped in me puddle.", "Shivered me britches off."
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

Milord wrote:Be careful, you might become a Jet Setting Celebrity and you wouldn't want all that Fame. Then you'd have to write a book with horrible stories(lies). Like the time, "I got wet, Sir.", "Slipped in me puddle.", "Shivered me britches off."

It is part of the retirement <cough> business plan

:evil:
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

That would be terrible, surrounded by Nymph Servants waiting on you hand and foot, fulfilling your every desire. How could you stand it?

You'd be forced to slap them around, and shout at them. ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

OrangeDragon wrote:Does the General count? He's young.
Sure, just smack him a few times before you take the photos, makes for bigger eyes.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

though related to the op... in case anyone is wondering how well ads on here actually do. one ad, which we just started about 8 days ago (the most recent) shows 17,882 views and 20 clicks.

not too shabby at all. though the one for loco has the top click through ratio so far.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic