Housing Market in Cambodia

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
Goodyear
Tourist
Cambodia

Housing Market in Cambodia

Post by Goodyear »

Hi this is my first post so please be gentle. (Have seen some sarcastic replies). Looking to settle in Cambodia this year after 5 years of visiting on average of 3 months per year.

My questions are:

As I’m Barang I’m looking at PP, Kep, or Kampot. Can any one advise on land / house price comparisons?

Secondly my Khmer friends all suggest buying land and then have house built as it’s much cheaper, again any opinions or experiences much appreciated.

Thanks Roy
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Housing Market in Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Welcome to CEO Goodyear. :hattip:

Your khmer friends are probably right however foreigners cannot own land.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Just like this poster topic26869.html you will be ripping your hair out and in a mental institution by the time your house is finished.

I go with the idea of buying something that is already built,,,, where you can see the faults and change them at a later date.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

OP, just rent.

You can't own a house, so why pay a premium for a dream? Just pay your rent.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

buy established
less than 20 years old
get a licensed land broker that will accept all responsibility if it turns out to be a fake documents scam
thru shit to more shit
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

Goodyear it is possible to own property here via a variety of mechanisms with more or less security depending on which you choose (with security usually being proportional to the cost of the method you choose).

Most important is your budget. That will determine what your options are. If less than $100k then probably a condo with strata title is your best bet. If unlimited then probably citizenship and a plot of land near the city or by the water in kep or kampot. If something in between then there are various options for achieving that too

Be aware though that cheap land is hard to find in any of the locations you mention unless you go outside of the city
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

why buy land, (which cant be in ur name) and build a house in a country you have no family ties too?
$300 /month rent x 10 years is a lot less than buying land in someone else's name and building a house
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

If you buy land or a house, there is a 99% chance you will be scammed or lose money.

There are a thousand ways to scam people. I will mention a few.

The asking price will be much higher for Barang. Barang who bought property will tell you, in the early days they paid too much.

You build a house, the prices will be much higher for a Barang.

You put it in your girlfriends name and at some time she leaves you and takes it.

There are some fake sales. You think you are buying the property, when it actually belongs to someone else.

Real estate prices in Cambodia are now higher than in Australia.

In years to come, when you go to sell it, nobody will pay a decent price, so you have to sell it cheap.

Somebody bought some land. They paid 17,000. The seller got 7,000. !0,000 was commission.

Your Cambodian friends are probably thinking how they can get some money out of it. If they introduce you to the agent, they will get a secret commission. If they introduce you to the builder, or are involved in building they will get money out of it.

Many Cambodians who you think are genuine friends, will scam you.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

If you really want to buy property, learn Khmer, and ask Cambodian people how much they paid for their property.

In Sihanoukville, a few years ago, before the Chinese invasion, I know a couple of Cambodians who bought land for around $10,000, and built houses for around $10,000. Some people were asking $100,000 for houses.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:08 pm If you buy land or a house, there is a 99% chance you will be scammed or lose money.

There are a thousand ways to scam people. I will mention a few.

The asking price will be much higher for Barang. Barang who bought property will tell you, in the early days they paid too much.

You build a house, the prices will be much higher for a Barang.

You put it in your girlfriends name and at some time she leaves you and takes it.

There are some fake sales. You think you are buying the property, when it actually belongs to someone else.

Real estate prices in Cambodia are now higher than in Australia.

In years to come, when you go to sell it, nobody will pay a decent price, so you have to sell it cheap.

Somebody bought some land. They paid 17,000. The seller got 7,000. !0,000 was commission.

Your Cambodian friends are probably thinking how they can get some money out of it. If they introduce you to the agent, they will get a secret commission. If they introduce you to the builder, or are involved in building they will get money out of it.

Many Cambodians who you think are genuine friends, will scam you.
Where are you getting this 99% from? Out of maybe 50 foreigners I know who have bought property I can only think of only 2 or 3 who lost out, and one was more through his own idiocy than anyone else's.
You seem to be getting prematurely jaded, when you start to think everyone is out to get you it's probably time to move country. Learning Khmer won't help.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic