Housing Market in Cambodia

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: Housing Market in Cambodia

Post by davegorman »

explorer wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:08 am
prahocalypse now wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:00 am
explorer wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:17 am
Real estate is more expensive in Cambodia than in Australia.
What is the evidence for this?
When you compare real estate prices, you need to compare prices in similar areas. The challenge is, the areas in Cambodia are not the same as areas in Australia.

Lets say you were to buy a house in the suburbs of Melbourne, Brisbane or Adelaide. If you were to compare that to buying a house in Phnom Penh. If the houses were a similar distance from the city center, and had a similar land area. The houses in Australia would be cheaper. Particularly when you consider the land area and the dollar exchange rate.

You can go to remote villages in Cambodia, and buy land in the village or in surrounding farming area quite cheap. But you can go to remote towns in Australia and buy land cheaper.

You could also go to a smaller town in Cambodia, and compare it to a smaller town in Australia.

The price of real estate in Cambodia varies from province to province.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Anyone serious about comparing real estate prices, you can easily find Australian real estate prices on the internet.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"You can go to remote villages in Cambodia, and buy land in the village or in surrounding farming area quite cheap. But you can go to remote towns in Australia and buy land cheaper."

None of which is relevant to an American living in Cambodia with a Khmer wife. We live rurally, but not remotely. As for"quite cheap" wrong again. Our land is currently worth more than 12× the original purchase price. Why? Cities are expanding along national highways. What a transparent poseur you are.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

explorer wrote:If you buy land or a house, there is a 99% chance you will be scammed or lose money.
Idiotic reply as usual. I've bought/sold about half a dozen times so far and never been scammed. I must be extremely lucky or something. Anyone want to rub a 5000r note on me for good luck?

Anyways, I also suggest renting, especially at the beginning.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
explorer wrote:If you buy land or a house, there is a 99% chance you will be scammed or lose money.
Idiotic reply as usual. I've bought/sold about half a dozen times so far and never been scammed. I must be extremely lucky or something. Anyone want to rub a 5000r note on me for good luck?

Anyways, I also suggest renting, especially at the beginning.
Careful. You may be proving his point...
I bet you are one of those who have been scammed that just don’t know that he was scammed. You don’t know - but explorer does.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

come on guys,
explorer knows everything about Cambodia cause he speaks khmer and has been there, done that
please allow him to educate us
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

When you compare real estate prices, you need to compare prices in similar areas. The challenge is, the areas in Cambodia are not the same as areas in Australia.

Lets say you were to buy a house in the suburbs of Melbourne, Brisbane or Adelaide. If you were to compare that to buying a house in Phnom Penh. If the houses were a similar distance from the city center, and had a similar land area. The houses in Australia would be cheaper. Particularly when you consider the land area and the dollar exchange rate.
Can you show me a house in Sydney that is cheaper than this one in Phnom Penh?
https://ips-cambodia.com/listing-detail ... hnom-penh/
$165,00 USD ($230,460 AUD).
Last edited by prahocalypse now on Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Is Explorer BkkTrapper/BITM/Sock Puppet/Sock Puppet's brother ?
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:18 am come on guys,
explorer knows everything about Cambodia cause he speaks khmer and has been there, done that
please allow him to educate us
I'll bet he even bought the Good morning Cambodia t shirt at Central. Market
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

prahocalypse now wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:57 am

Can you show me a house in Sydney that is cheaper than this one in Phnom Penh?
https://ips-cambodia.com/listing-detail ... hnom-penh/
$165,00 USD ($230,460 AUD).
That is a small house on a small block of land. Most houses in Sydney are much bigger. If you are telling me that a small house is cheaper than a big one, I already knew that. If you were to find a house in Phnom Penh which is a similar size to a house in Sydney it would be much more expensive.

You could find many properties in the Sydney metropolitan area which are less per square meter.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic