Neighbour bitten by my dog.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Neighbour bitten by my dog.

Post by whiteribbon »

This already happened a while ago but it seems to be a never-ending story so looking for some insights...

So... a week ago my dog, that I usually let out during the day time, bit one of my neighbours. My dog is not aggressive at all, all my neighbours know him well and pet him and give him treats all the time. That day he was fighting with one of the other male dogs in the area over a female dog. I usually let them fight it out among themselves. That day my neighbour decided she wanted to pull them apart and in that moment my dog bit her. It was not personal, he sleeps with her when I'm not home and knows her well.

My fault? Yes. It's my dog. I immediately drove her to a local doctor, paid for for all the medicine and injections in advance and gave another $100 because I felt guilty.
If you live in Cambodia you probably know that this week everyone is going crazy because 1 girl died from a cat scratch and everyone is trying to get their shots. So 3 days later when my neighbour needed to get her second injection the doctor told her they had no more (even though I already booked and paid for them). Called around all the hospitals in Kep and Kampot (also Sonja Kill). None had medicine left. I know it wasn't a problem because my dog is not sick but they insisted on getting more shots. The only hospital in Cambodia that still had that medicine was Pasteur so I drove them there because they didn't believe me when I said she was in no danger.
When we arrived the place was packed.. hundreds of people trying to get the rabies shots after hearing the news stories.
There were doctors in the crowd trying to calm them down. I managed to get a doctor to explain to my neighbour she shouldn't worry and she only needs the shots when my dog is sick. That calmed them down a bit and it they didn't want to wait there 2 days to get the shot either. Gave them another $50 for some painkillers or relaxation drugs.

What else can I do?
just noise, white noise
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: Neighbour bitten by my dog.

Post by Captain Bonez »

Do the humane thing and put your neighbor down
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

If the shot is available i'd do it and get it over with. In the unlikely event something does happen, i'm not sure you want to live with that.

To each their own, just be careful and good luck.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Jcml19 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:09 pm If the shot is available i'd do it and get it over with. In the unlikely event something does happen, i'm not sure you want to live with that.

To each their own, just be careful and good luck.
It's not, that's the problem. Because of the recent news stories all that medicine all over Cambodia is sold out, only Pasteur hospital still has it but the boss or manager I spoke with there (french guy but forgot his name) said she doesn't need it. Should've recorded that conversation so I have some proof.
just noise, white noise
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

whiteribbon wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:53 pm This already happened a while ago but it seems to be a never-ending story so looking for some insights...
If it happened a while ago and your neighbor did not get sick, everything seems to be OK.

Does your neighbor want something else?

The lesson to learn is to stay away from dogs when they are fighting. I have heard of a dog in a fight with other dogs, biting its owner.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
oopsfermi
Expatriate
Puerto Rico

Post by oopsfermi »

See a lot of dogs in muzzles here. Thinking it's a similar backstory.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

explorer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:05 am
If it happened a while ago and your neighbor did not get sick, everything seems to be OK.
Rabies symptoms can take months or even years to develop.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

I would do a full round of rabies shots too if it was me that got bit. You think I'm going to risk my life just because you love your cute little Fido and don't think he can get bit by a rat or a bat in his sleep?

I KNOW the dog is not sick. Well that's assuring!

Maybe stop letting your dog loose unattended.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Sidenote - Animal Mama (with a few other agencies?) is working to eradicate rabies at the moment and are giving free shots to street animals all over the country, hence the shortage of serum. Amazing to see how many others are piling on and claiming the credit for the project, even some in high places.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

StroppyChops wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:30 pm Sidenote - Animal Mama (with a few other agencies?) is working to eradicate rabies at the moment and are giving free shots to street animals all over the country, hence the shortage of serum. Amazing to see how many others are piling on and claiming the credit for the project, even some in high places.
Mrs was just showing me on FB that another Cambodian girl has died from rabies - that makes two in fairly quick succession.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic