Neighbour bitten by my dog.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Neighbour bitten by my dog.

Post by Clutch Cargo »

explorer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:27 pm When you look at dogs in Cambodia, most of them have obvious signs of infection. Most Cambodians just think this is normal.
Yes and you don't see many stray dogs around either coz they end up on the dinner table... Which begs the question: what effect does this have on humans that eat infected dog meat?
explorer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:27 pm Muslims dont have dogs, which is a good thing when you see how sick the dogs are in Cambodia.
They also don't eat pig.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:44 pm
explorer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:27 pm When you look at dogs in Cambodia, most of them have obvious signs of infection. Most Cambodians just think this is normal.
Yes and you don't see many stray dogs around either coz they end up on the dinner table... Which begs the question: what effect does this have on humans that eat infected dog meat?
explorer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:27 pm Muslims dont have dogs, which is a good thing when you see how sick the dogs are in Cambodia.
They also don't eat pig.
So we now know that if you dont own dogs and don't eat pig you are more likely to be a suicide bomber than someone who owns dogs and eats bacon. Fore safety you shoud get a house next to someone who meets this criteris, exept I hate F#$*ing dogs. Had to sell my last house because the bugger next door had a dog that barked all the time he was not home.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:44 pmYes and you don't see many stray dogs around either coz they end up on the dinner table... Which begs the question: what effect does this have on humans that eat infected dog meat?
Dog is not widely eaten and if you not have seen many stary dogs, I can only assume that you don't venture far from the riverside. Seriously, there are dogs everywhere.

The visible infections that you see is NOT rabies, but mange, ringworm, distemper and the like.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Anyone that has kids and those that teach kids should teach kids what to do when dogs come running out of houses etc, and start barking at you.

Lesson 1 ] DONT RUN. The animal instinct in a dog is to chase you and bite you from behind, usually on the back of the legs.

Lesson 2] Turn to face the dog and stand still, or slowly back away while still facing the dog. The one with the most patience will win . If there are two dogs put your back to the wall so they cannot get behind you.

If you have a choice between picking something up to throw at the dog, first choice is sand / dirt, not stones. You may miss with a stone but sand in the eyes of a dog wins you big points.

Dont let a small child bend down to do that though, as it puts their face closer to attack level. The idea is to stand taller than the dog .

My 7 yo and 9 yo girls are scared of dogs and they always make sure that I am between them and any dog when we are walking, but I have demonstrated this principal of facing the dog many times with them and they now know it works.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

hanno wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:11 pm if you not have seen many stary dogs, I can only assume that you don't venture far from the riverside. Seriously, there are dogs everywhere.
There are owned dogs everywhere but where in Phnom Penh are you seeing all those strays?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

fax wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:29 pm
hanno wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:11 pm if you not have seen many stary dogs, I can only assume that you don't venture far from the riverside. Seriously, there are dogs everywhere.
There are owned dogs everywhere but where in Phnom Penh are you seeing all those strays?
\

Sorry, I did not realize that we are talking about the confines of PP. And it is sometimes hard to distinguish between owned dogs roaming free and stray dogs. But go for a run at night and you will see plenty of dogs on the streets just across the river, behind the railway station, and Diamond island.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

hanno wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:11 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:44 pmYes and you don't see many stray dogs around either coz they end up on the dinner table... Which begs the question: what effect does this have on humans that eat infected dog meat?
Dog is not widely eaten and if you not have seen many stary dogs, I can only assume that you don't venture far from the riverside. Seriously, there are dogs everywhere.

The visible infections that you see is NOT rabies, but mange, ringworm, distemper and the like.
Agreed, and humans can't catch distemper and are barely affected by mange mites. The mites might make you itchy but can't reproduce and fuck you up like it destroys dogs.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

There are a lot of stray dogs in Cambodia, but it varies from place to place. Some areas you see them, some areas you dont.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Learning Khmer may help prevent you getting bitten by a dog. I have been told by Cambodian people not to go any further down a path as there is an aggressive dog further along, which has bitten other people.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Duncan wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:17 pm Anyone that has kids and those that teach kids should teach kids what to do when dogs come running out of houses etc, and start barking at you.

Lesson 1 ] DONT RUN. The animal instinct in a dog is to chase you and bite you from behind, usually on the back of the legs.

Lesson 2] Turn to face the dog and stand still, or slowly back away while still facing the dog. The one with the most patience will win . If there are two dogs put your back to the wall so they cannot get behind you.

If you have a choice between picking something up to throw at the dog, first choice is sand / dirt, not stones. You may miss with a stone but sand in the eyes of a dog wins you big points.

Dont let a small child bend down to do that though, as it puts their face closer to attack level. The idea is to stand taller than the dog .

My 7 yo and 9 yo girls are scared of dogs and they always make sure that I am between them and any dog when we are walking, but I have demonstrated this principal of facing the dog many times with them and they now know it works.
Another thing is to pick up a stick or piece of bamboo (if there is one around), and swing it in the dogs direction. You can swing it 360 degrees if you need to. This stops them getting close enough to bite you.

If you are caught by surprise and there is nothing to pick up, bend over as if you are picking up a rock. Dogs dont know whether you actually picked up a rock or not, and will keep their distance. You can even pretend to throw the pretend rock.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic