American Sex Offender EDWARD MARISPINI Arrested in Cambodia After Working as a Teacher at Beijing International Academy

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: American Sex Offender EDWARD MARISPINI Arrested in Cambodia After Working as a Teacher at Beijing International Acad

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:30 am
RickyBobby wrote:I wonder though what people like this are supposed to do in life. They cannot ever go straight or get away from their past.
In his case, part of going straight would have involved not working at a school or other establishment where children are present. Doesn't seem like he was remotely trying to "go straight".
And not have a felony warrant outstanding...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: American Sex Offender EDWARD MARISPINI Arrested in Cambodia After Working as a Teacher at Beijing International Acad

Post by John Bingham »

Brody wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:56 am Furthermore, the only tefl jobbers that dress in all black like that, work at Limkokwing.
There are no Tefl teachers there, they don't teach English.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:40 am
Brody wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:56 am Furthermore, the only tefl jobbers that dress in all black like that, work at Limkokwing.
Ooops, yeah sorry. I forgot, you guys are quite touchy about the "teacher" hierarchy here in Cambodia.

OK, whatever, no tefl teachers at LKW. Jesus it must be pretty humiliating to be considered a tefl teacher, lol.

But I'm pretty sure that Grahm has advertised for English teaching jobs there as a part of the Foundation program or whatever.

But you'd probably know better than I.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Marispini has been arrested or cited by police in Minnesota 58 times, mostly for driving and parking infractions, but his arrests also include charges for shoplifting, disorderly conduct, identity theft, passing bad checks, and theft.

Most significantly, he was arrested in 1998 for criminal sexual conduct in the second degree under Minnesota Statute 609.343 (1)(h), for having a sexual relationship with someone under the age of 16 when he was about thirty years old. He pled guilty in 1999.

He was sentenced to four years in prison, with credit for time served, and it appears that some part of the sentence was stayed.

Because he was convicted under Minnesota Statute 609.343 he was required to register as predatory offender under Minnesota Statute 243.166. Under this statute, Marispini was required to notify Minnesota law enforcement authorities of his primary address in the state and any secondary addresses where he regularly stayed overnight.

In 2009, he was arrested for failing to register a secondary address. He was convicted in 2010 and sentenced to 3 years in prison, though it’s unclear if he was required to serve all that time.

It appears that sometime in 2018, Marispini moved out of the United States. His (now deleted) Facebook page showed he sent time in Ukraine before arriving in Cambodia.

Minnesota Statute 243.166 provides:

at least five days before the person starts living at a new primary address, including living in another state, the person shall give written notice of the new primary address to the assigned corrections agent or to the law enforcement authority with which the person currently is registered. If the person will be living in a new state and that state has a registration requirement, the person shall also give written notice of the new address to the designated registration agency in the new state. 

It’s interesting that this statute specifies that offenders have to notify law enforcement before living at a new primary address “including living in another state,” but doesn’t specify a requirement to notify Minnesota law enforcement if moving to another COUNTRY.

Mugshots.com shows that on December 7, 2018, Marispini was labeled a “non-compliant” offender in Minnesota, presumably for failing to notify authorities when he moved out of the United States.

Minnesota Revised Statue 243.166(5) provides a criminal penalty for failing to register as a predatory offender. Because Marispini was previously convicted of violating this statute, he is looking at a minimum of two years and maximum of five years in prison if charged under this statute.

There’s another possibility here. Marispini could be prosecuted under federal law for failing to register as a sex offender, like Eric Erdmann was. The federal statute specifically addresses international travel:

I don't see any filings in the Minnesota or federal court databases showing where Marispini has been charged. He may have been charged in a sealed indictment that will be unsealed when he appears in court in the USA.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Brody wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:49 am
Ooops, yeah sorry. I forgot, you guys are quite touchy about the "teacher" hierarchy here in Cambodia.

OK, whatever, no tefl teachers at LKW. Jesus it must be pretty humiliating to be considered a tefl teacher, lol.

But I'm pretty sure that Grahm has advertised for English teaching jobs there as a part of the Foundation program or whatever.

Besides the qualifications, what are the main differences between Tefl teachers and other English teachers in Cambodia? Aren't they pretty much the same? Is Limkokwing a degree mill, or is it an accredited university? The school has a Fashion & Lifestyle Creativity Department....
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Queef wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:48 pm Besides the qualifications...
You're asking the wrong guy, I don't know....anyway this is starting to drift off topic.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Brody wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:57 pm
Queef wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:48 pm Besides the qualifications...
You're asking the wrong guy, I don't know....anyway this is starting to drift off topic.
You're right. My bad
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Well, Beijing International Academy is suddenly in need of another Native Speaking English Teacher:

http://www.camhr.com/pages/jobs/job.jsp?jobId=10318817
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Brody wrote:Well, Beijing International Academy is suddenly in need of another Native Speaking English Teacher:

http://www.camhr.com/pages/jobs/job.jsp?jobId=10318817
Tough interview process, I'm sure.

"Do you like working with kids?"

"I love kids!"

"Great! When can you start?"

:facepalm:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

Queef wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:48 pm
Brody wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:49 am

Besides the qualifications, what are the main differences between Tefl teachers and other English teachers in Cambodia? Aren't they pretty much the same? Is Limkokwing a degree mill, or is it an accredited university? The school has a Fashion & Lifestyle Creativity Department....
Well first of all, there are the qualifications. A TEFL teacher holds the highly vaunted and highly sought after TEFL certificate. An ordinary English teacher does not cut the mustard, by comparison. Limkokwing certainly is an an accredited university and is certainly not a degree mill. They have one of the finest Fashion and Lifestyle Creativity Departments in the country.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic